United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 17 of 96
28 January 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back! Interesting projects, Teango, and, as usual, poetic and inspirational
writing. I love writing as much as languages, and it's great getting both when reading
your posts.

There's something very personal and beautiful in learning a language that is inherently
your own to begin with. You're very lucky :) I saw an Irish script a few months back, and
decided to learn the language once I get a leg up in my current ones, hopefully.

All the best!

Edited by Woodsei on 28 January 2012 at 11:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 96
28 January 2012 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Good to have you back, I have missed you! I hope all your exams went well, and am looking forward to lots of Russian inspiration!

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6166 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 19 of 96
28 January 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Considering how I haven't really spoken German for well over a year now, I've decided to be as brutally honest as possible about my current language skills, and have therefore relegated my profile status for German from "basic (speaking) fluency" back down to "intermediate" whilst I wait to activate it again. The same goes for downgrading my Spanish from "intermediate" to "beginner", which I regretably haven't touched since my short experiment in the summer of 2010. So once again I'm a monolingual looking longingly towards the far-off polyglot horizon, but have no doubt, I still aim to hold that triglot belt high by the end of the year! ;)

When I walk in the forest nowadays, I sometimes hear the distant chant of the local Elves: It is a new song about the legend of Teango, who in the year of 2010 conquered The Kingdom of Spain in only 30 days. They also sing about his future triumphant return when he will finally complete the wonderful work he started. -I am proud to have been there when it happened! :)

I know it wont be long before you'll be able to both conquer new languages and perfecting the ones that are already under you A1-B2-belt.   

Meanwhile, this simple quote always helps me when I think about my temporarily neglected languages :)

"A forgotten memory, when regained, is always better remembered."
2 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6049 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 20 of 96
29 January 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
My German (speaking) fluency also leaves a lot to be desired, as clearly demonstrated on
the Sputnik skype session last sunday. However, I very much look forward to conversing
with you in Spanish and German later this year.

And that Subento thing sounds really exciting! Awaiting your reports impatiently.

//aloysius

Edited by aloysius on 29 January 2012 at 12:58pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 21 of 96
29 January 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Please pardon me, I may have missed your description of Subento elsewhere, but
what does it do? Is it a software that transcribes audio? It sounds intriguing!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4524 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 22 of 96
08 February 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I've seen on Twitter that you've been watching a lot of Russian films, Teango! I'll try to download one of them (O chem govoryat mujchiny). Is it good?

Also, how is your progress?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 23 of 96
08 February 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the great comments and encouragement guys! It's brilliant to be back.

@Woodsei
Regarding Subento...I developed this software about half a year ago to help me actively study movies and train my listening skills, and have just been sitting on it ever since. So now I've finally got a window of opportunity, I hope to test it out over the next month or so, primarily to see if it works as intended or turns out to be a complete flop of an idea, and will share the results (and more juicy details later on, if a success) in my blog.

@fabriciocarraro
I really liked О чём говорят мужчины (2010) because the language is contemporary and it's just a fun bloke's film (can't say my girlfriend was equally as enthusiastic though haha). Another film I liked recently was Неадекватные люди (also 2010), probably worth checking out too. However at heart I'm still a big romantic really, so my all-time favourites are Ирония судьбы (1975) and Служебный роман (1977). Keep away from the modern sequels to these heart-warming classics though - they're not even on the same planet. ;)

Edited by Teango on 08 February 2012 at 10:41pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 96
09 February 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I've been stalking the charts and I noticed you have some interesting tags, like vocabulary-checking, studyandclick, crosstalk, grammar-test (in class? self-testing?). Could you explain them briefly? :)

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version