Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 57 of 96
05 May 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Well the competition is ferocious this time. Last time I was among the 5 best the first week without doing all
that much out of the ordinary. This time I am giving it every minute I have got. I feel like I have done a
week's study just today. My back is hurting for sitting so much.

I am sure you will do fine as soon as you get better. You put inn heroic efforts last time, with great results, I
am sure you will do that this time as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 58 of 96
06 May 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Cheers, Cristina. I've probably already fallen too far behind to catch up now in this challenge, but seeing you cool trailblazers on the distant icy horizon, waving the Team Sputnik standard high against the glorious setting sun, is a real inspiration! Enough to pick myself up, strap on some snow boots and keep believing in tomorrow... :)

Edited by Teango on 06 May 2012 at 12:50am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 59 of 96
08 May 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Irish & German (turning point): Weeks 16-18, 2012

Target language study over this period: 17 hours
Total target language study this year: 115.5 hours

Irish (9.6 hours)

TV/Film: 6 hours, 35 mins
Study: 1 hour, 57 mins
Review: 53 mins
Speaking: 6 mins
Writing: 5 mins

German (7.4 hours)

TV/Film: 4 hours, 28 mins
Reading: 2 hours, 25 mins
Review: 30 mins

Wanderlust (6 hours, 47 mins - not included in my study totals)

Japanese: 2 hours, 10 mins (film + English subs, "Okuribito")
French: 1 hour, 52 mins (film + English subs, "Intouchables")
Norwegian: 1 hour, 40 mins (film + English subs, "Hodejegerne")
Welsh: 30 mins (audio lesson, "Say Something in Welsh")
Scots: 20 mins (YouTube, "The Scots Language")
Ukrainian: 15 mins (audio lessons, "1 Minute Ukrainian")

Notes

This has been an incredible month for me personally, and also by far one of the craziest of the year! I have two major pieces of news to share...

First, I'm getting married in just a little over a week's time. The preparations have been more stressful than anything I could have ever imagined (as I'm sure anyone who's already gone through the wedding tenderiser will well understand). And if this wasn't enough, I've fallen prey to flu and been largely stuck in bed these last couple of weeks, which has added to the overall pandemonium swirling around the big day. The main thing though is that my lovely partner in crime has conceded to walk down the aisle and make an honest man of me, so everything else is just background details really.

Second, my career dreams have finally come true - I've been offered a PhD assistantship in the US in second language acquisition studies, starting this Fall! The competition was tough, and I had to sit a 5 hour exam in London, in addition to submitting mountains of paperwork and interviewing for the position. However, I really wanted this more than anything, and I'm extremely interested in my supervisor's research area, so I'm over the moon that they finally chose me. This is such an amazing opportunity and I hope to make the most of it, you can be sure of that! I'll be dividing my time between teaching and researching in Honolulu, and will get paid for sharing my shameless passion for languages and language learning, whilst most likely boring everyone else half to death (lol).

So as you can well imagine, between Hawai'i, wedding preparations and being hit with flu, I've had to put most of my own language learning on hold during this period. This doesn't mean however that I've been completely static either. On the contrary, I've reviewed a little German, indulged in some wanderlust, and already started studying Irish for the current 6 Week Challenge as well as part of my Irish Super Challenge (you can see the ongoing stats for Irish in the top right-hand corner of my blog). Hopefully, I'll be able to get down to more study soon and start to make some real progress in Irish, once the confetti and rice settles...

[ Here's to new beginnings! (image by Supportstorm, source: Wikipedia) ]

Edited by Teango on 08 May 2012 at 11:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6051 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 60 of 96
09 May 2012 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Teango!

That's really incredibly wonderful news!!! Big congratulations! A new life begins ...

//aloysius
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 61 of 96
10 May 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
That is absolutely amazing news! I wish you and your wife to be every kind of happiness, and hope you will
have
an amazing wedding! I am also very happy for your new job opportunity. It sounds like a dream come true.
So when are you leaving, and how many years are you staying for?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 May 2012 at 8:55am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 62 of 96
10 May 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Magnificent! I am definitely moste jealous.

Topsy Turvey
United Kingdom
Joined 4565 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 63 of 96
10 May 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Wow! I had heard about your amazing PhD opportunity but I haven't had news about your new
wife to be making an honest man out of you. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am
for you. It all sounds sooo exciting!

I'm already really looking forward to reading about your new life overseas :D

As for Irish, I have also been recently flirting with this language along with Welsh.
Although I am very sure you are streets ahead of me with this language. Good luck with
it in the 6WC Teango! :D

Edited by Topsy Turvey on 10 May 2012 at 1:09pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 64 of 96
10 May 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
A huge thanks to everyone! :) There's certainly going to be some major changes in my little briar patch over the coming months, and I really appreciate all your wonderful support.

@Solfrid Cristin
I'm due to leave for Honolulu in early August (less than 3 months and counting!) and have been offered a graduate assistantship over there for 4 years. There's still a mountain of paperwork to sort out first (job position, visas for the both of us, medical insurance, accommodation...the list just goes on and on), so it's both exciting and tremendously stressful at the same time. Fingers crossed...всё будет хорошо.

@Topsy Turvey
With the recent whirlwind of preparations, I must admit, I haven't even scratched the surface with Irish yet (although oddly enough, I did manage to sneak in a "Say Something in Welsh" audio lesson this week). Hopefully I'll be able to get stuck into my Buntús course books and the cool array of Irish programmes over on TG4 sooner rather than later. It would be really cool to catch up before I leave, and maybe even throw around a few basic phrases in Welsh or Irish to boot, if you're up for a little Celtic challenge. ;)

Edited by Teango on 10 May 2012 at 4:57pm

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version