Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 49 of 96
16 April 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I am as always amazed and in awe of your achievement. It sounds like an amazing holiday. I recently had
that dizzy, entoxicating feeling of actually being able to communicate in Russian, and since you are at a
much higher level, I can only imagine what it feels like. Well done!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 50 of 96
19 April 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
@Medialis
I did indeed feel a little bit like Иван Бездомный in the Patriarch's Ponds, but rest assured that I didn't strip and dive into the river in pursuit of Кот Бегемот in the end (well I couldn't, even if с ума сошел, it was iced over!). I don't know if I'm ready to call myself a truly conversant Russian speaker just yet but I'm hopefully a little further down that road now. Just another million footprints in the snow to go...lol

@Solfrid Cristin
Your trip to Ukraine sounds like a blast. I've never been but would love to go one day (and ideally try out a bit of Ukrainian too). Let's continue to get tipsy on languages and reach drunken fluency in new casks and cases by the end of the year. :)

@Meramarina
I actually used a smidgeon of Polish yesterday whilst out at lunch (dziękuję - thanks). However the situation was initially a little embarrassing, as I thought the waitress of the Italian restaurant was...well...Italian, and consequently received a strange look when I tried to ask her for the bill. I did however learn a new phrase on leaving (na razie - so long), which left me glowing for at least half an hour like a good digestif!

Edited by Teango on 19 April 2012 at 10:17am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 51 of 96
20 April 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Wow, Teango, you got to go to Russia! I'm so curious what it feels like being there. And
your competition with your niece had me laughing aloud, people at Starbucks looked at me
like...you can guess. It didn't help that I said これ by mistake rather than "here you
go" while I was paying for my coffee. 'o'

Isn't it an awesome feeling to here Japanese in Russia? Whenever I watch a Japanese show
and Russia is mentioned, or the other way around, I feel like someone just started
talking about my best friend :) Language study is apparently becoming a personal thing :)

Will keep looking out for your fascinating endeavors!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 52 of 96
26 April 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
@Woodsei
It's always amazing to be in St Petersburg, now my second home, but my little bonus trip to Moscow and the warmth and generosity of my girlfriend's family really blew me away this time! I was almost in tears to leave and feel very close to the people, land and culture...

It was also a great surprise to come across so much Japanese culture during my stay in Russia. Maybe it's a sign or message from on High, suggesting which language I should study next year? ;)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 53 of 96
01 May 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
@Woodsei
It's always amazing to be in St Petersburg, now my second home, but my little bonus
trip to Moscow and the warmth and generosity of my girlfriend's family really blew me
away this time! I was almost in tears to leave and feel very close to the people, land
and culture...

It was also a great surprise to come across so much Japanese culture during my stay in
Russia. Maybe it's a sign or message from on High, suggesting which language I should
study next year? ;)

I concur :)

Looking forward to your Super Challenge progress :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 54 of 96
01 May 2012 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
@Woodsei
Thanks, I'm particularly looking forward to this challenge! Unfortunately I'm ill in bed with the flu right now, so I don't know how much I'll be able to get done this week, but I'll try to do whatever I can. Good luck yourself with Japanese, I'm expecting great things from you. ;)

Edited by Teango on 01 May 2012 at 7:12am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 55 of 96
01 May 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Get well, and put some Irish tapes on while you are dozing. I do that when I am too ill to actually do any real studying, and I like to think that this helps med with my pronunciation.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 56 of 96
05 May 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin
Good idea there! I feel really guilty over doing little or nothing these last few days ill in bed and the whole thing's getting me down (I've already fallen down a winding snake to 22nd place in the challenge, ouch!). Hopefully I'll get a bit better soon and find a ladder to climb up again...

Edited by Teango on 06 May 2012 at 3:33am

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version