Norway
Joined 5263 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 89 of 100
31 March 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Belle700 wrote:
What type of Spanish do learning materials of Peninsular Spanish teach then?

Usually Standard Spanish with a north/central accent.

Belle700 wrote:
The radio podcast I have been listening to is "Crónica de Andalucia". I find the speech to be
extremely fast and I find I can only understand bits and pieces of what they are saying. I don't know if they are
actually speaking Spanish very fast or if it's my comprehension that needs work (certainly could be the latter). I can't
really tell if, for Spanish speakers from Spain, if they are talking faster than what you'd normally hear.

My own impression is that Spaniards normally speak quite fast.

Edited by tractor on 31 March 2012 at 6:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 90 of 100
06 May 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE: Since the discussion, I have been working diligently on my Spanish. I have even begun watching a telenovela produced here in the US (which features all Latin American actors and actresses) to help with listening comprehension. I have also been following my Living Language Spanish Course, which follows Latin American Spanish. I do have a Berlitz Phrase Book for Spanish from Spain, with an accompanying CD, so I can get used to the accent. As a result, I have been exposed entirely to Latin American Spanish.

I find after really working with both Peninsular Spanish and Latin American Spanish, I feel I really like Latin American Spanish. The accents are pleasing to my ear and I like the sound and the rhythm.

I have reevaluated my Spanish studies and I think this is the right track for me. I enjoy learning Spanish from Spain too and I think it is important to be familiar with other varieties of Spanish so I will continue to learn about other varieties. Being able to speak and understand more than one variety is, I think, a helpful tool.

Since Mexican Spanish is the most spoken variety of Spanish in the United States, adding to that all of the other varieties of Spanish from Latin America, it seemed logical to me that I needed to focus on that track. I like this variety and the linguistic landscape of where I live is almost entirely Latin American Spanish, so readjusting my focus seemed sensible.

Incidentally, the learning materials here in the US are mostly geared towards Latin American Spanish.

So, I think that by learning both Latin American and Peninsular varieties, with a primary focus on Latin American Spanish, I will be as useful as possible to the Spanish speaking population here.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 91 of 100
06 May 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
In Brazil, the official school program is based on Peninsular Spanish, but it depends on teachers too. My teachers were Argentinian, so I learned this variant. I find Argentinian movies, soap operas, tv shows easier to follow/understand then the Peninsular ones.
An Argentinian friend of mine told me many Argentinians put the subtitles on when they watch a Spanish movie on DVD. ;)

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4675 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 92 of 100
07 May 2012 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
What I've decided to do is to learn Spanish with an American English accent, since that's how I"m going to speak it no matter how hard I try to do otherwise. I know there's no chance I'll ever fool a native speaker into believing I'm a native.

So instead of trying to sound like a native speaker from some particular place, I'm shooting for sounding clear and understandable, with an accent that is no doubt noticeable, but does not interfere with comprehension.

In other words, I'm going to speak Spanish in my own distinctive way which will undoubtedly be a blend of the various accents I'm listening too as I learn.

As for vocabulary, I'll stay flexible so I can adapt my vocabulary on the fly to wherever I am and to whomever I'm talking. Who says I can't know and use both "carro" and "coche" as the situation calls for?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 93 of 100
02 January 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
kman543210 wrote:
I may be echoing what others have said, but I think there are 2 main ways that you can choose which variety of Spanish you speak (including accent and vocabulary).

1. What variety may be the most useful for you? For example, if you plan to live or travel in Europe more than Latin America, you may want to learn a variety from Spain. If you'll be working or speaking mostly to Hispanics in the U.S., you may want to learn the Mexican standard variety (especially if you're going to be speaking with a lot of Mexicans). There are a lot of other Hispanic populations in the U.S., so that's another thing to consider or if you're going to be traveling or living in a specific Latin American country.

2. What variety do you like the most? This is completely subjective, but there's nothing wrong with thinking to yourself, "I really like the way Argentine Spanish sounds, so I'm going to speak it that way" or "I really like the pronunciation differences between the c/z sounds in Spain, so I'm going to speak it that way."

Keep in mind that you may change your mind in the future, and this could be difficult for some to change once they've established an accent/variety. I personally spoke Spanish for the first 8 years one way and just decided to change it all of a sudden, and I didn't have any problems doing so (although I don't think I could go back to the other way). I started speaking Spanish with a general Mexican accent/vocabulary, but then one day I just started to change my accent and vocabulary to that which is spoken in northern Spain (various reason including using learning material recorded in Spain as well as me having more of an interest in Spain rather than Latin America).

*as a side note, don't get too bogged down in semantics with naming certain varieties or how to define Castilian Spanish (nomenclature varies in both languages but general definitions of that specific term can be different in both English and Spanish).

Well, another update. As you mentioned kman, I have flip-flopped again - for the very same reasons you mentioned above. Now I am back to Andalusian Spanish. I was working on Andalusian, switched to Mexican, now I am back to Andalusian. Ah, language learning, such fun and variety. All this and I just ordered a new Latin American phrase book to increase my knowledge in that area. Don't worry! I'm sticking with the Andalusian!

I had been working in Andalusian Spanish for so long and got so used to it that when I really delved in to Mexican Spanish, I was having such accent troubles! I still am having some blips in pronouncing certain words.

Well, I am going to be starting two new online Spanish classes soon, so I will have to let you know how that goes. One of the instructors has studied both in the US and Spain, so we'll see what kind of Spanish the class is actually taught in. I am sure both classes will be interesting.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 94 of 100
02 January 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
I learn Argentinian Spanish.
For me (and my pocket), Argentina is closer than Spain. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 95 of 100
02 January 2013 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
I learn Argentinian Spanish.
For me (and my pocket), Argentina is closer than Spain. :)

Yes, that is a good point. :)

Belle700
United States
Joined 5506 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 

Message 96 of 100
27 January 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
The flip-flopping has contiued Kman - you were SO right when you pointed out how that happens! I have been really inspired by Latin American Spanish lately(specifically Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican), so now I am back to that - but I still am keeping an eye on the Iberian Spanish. I love both - so I will learn both. It's funny how your linguistic tastes change!

Since my last post, I started my two online Spanish classes. One is at UCLA and one is Cal State Long Beach. Both are going really well and both of them seem to favor Latin American Spanish, although which variety I am not sure. I am really enjoying the classes and am very glad that I decided to take them.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version