Congo
Joined 5883 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 49 of 100
22 February 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Quique wrote:
Sadly I'm not that young. I do remember Cristal, Los ricos también lloran and all that crap.

crap??? how dare you! :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5285 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 50 of 100
23 February 2012 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Nowadays, yesísmo is widespread also in Northern Spain.

Indeed. However, the word is 'yeísmo'.
1 person has voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5285 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 51 of 100
23 February 2012 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Belle700 wrote:
The variety of Spanish that I have gravitated to is Andalusian Spanish. Mexican Spanish is the most spoken variety in my country, and I do want to learn that as well, but after getting used to the Andalusian accent, I feel that I like that variety and its sound. I still am going to learn Mexican Spanish, though. It's good to be familiar with that. There are many different varieties spoken in the US, some parts of the country having more of a concentration of a particular variety than others.

As I mentioned earlier, I learned Latin American Spanish in school, and have traveled to Spain, but once I began studying online with Busuu.com, I became accustomed to Castilian Spanish with an Andalusian accent (that is what their recordings use, also Babbel.com uses an Andalusian accent) and now knowing both, I feel comfortable speaking Andalusian. Plus, the teacher that I had for most of the time that I studied Spanish in high school spoke with an Andalusian accent (even though she taught Latin American), so there's that influence too.

Andalusian it is then! ¡Buena suerte ehtudiando andalú! I find Andalusian pleasing to the ear, but then again I also like Caribbean and Central American accents, as well as the Rosario accent in Argentina, and Mexican accents too.

I have a question. A noticeable regional variation in Andalusian is the pronunciation of S/C/Z. Some regions have seseo (same pronunciation for all three letters, with a sound similar to the English S or to the S found in many varieties of Spanish in Latinoamérica), some regions have ceceo (same pronunciation for all three letters with a sound similar to the C/Z sound in Northern/Central Spain Spanish), and some regions have distinción (a certain pronunciation for the S and a different pronunciation for the C/Z). Where will your spoken Spanish stand regarding this difference? Will you have seseo, ceceo or distinción?

Edited by getreallanguage on 23 February 2012 at 11:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Belle700
United States
Joined 5510 days ago

128 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 52 of 100
23 February 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
getreallanguage wrote:
Belle700 wrote:
The variety of Spanish that I have gravitated to is Andalusian Spanish. Mexican Spanish is the most spoken variety in my country, and I do want to learn that as well, but after getting used to the Andalusian accent, I feel that I like that variety and its sound. I still am going to learn Mexican Spanish, though. It's good to be familiar with that. There are many different varieties spoken in the US, some parts of the country having more of a concentration of a particular variety than others.

As I mentioned earlier, I learned Latin American Spanish in school, and have traveled to Spain, but once I began studying online with Busuu.com, I became accustomed to Castilian Spanish with an Andalusian accent (that is what their recordings use, also Babbel.com uses an Andalusian accent) and now knowing both, I feel comfortable speaking Andalusian. Plus, the teacher that I had for most of the time that I studied Spanish in high school spoke with an Andalusian accent (even though she taught Latin American), so there's that influence too.

Andalusian it is then! ¡Buena suerte ehtudiando andalú! I find Andalusian pleasing to the ear, but then again I also like Caribbean and Central American accents, as well as the Rosario accent in Argentina, and Mexican accents too.

I have a question. A noticeable regional variation in Andalusian is the pronunciation of S/C/Z. Some regions have seseo (same pronunciation for all three letters, with a sound similar to the English S or to the S found in many varieties of Spanish in Latinoamérica), some regions have ceceo (same pronunciation for all three letters with a sound similar to the C/Z sound in Northern/Central Spain Spanish), and some regions have distinción (a certain pronunciation for the S and a different pronunciation for the C/Z). Where will your spoken Spanish stand regarding this difference? Will you have seseo, ceceo or distinción?

Yes, and thank you - my spoken Spanish reflects this difference. I speak with the distinción variation, actually, so I pronounce "gracias" as graTHIas and not graSEEas. It's interesting, though, as I learned to speak with what I am guessing to be a general Latin American accent in school, but since I have become accustomed to Andalusian Spanish, when I speak with a generic Latin American sound, it feels strange to speak the other way! :)

I too, like the sound of Andalusian Spanish. It seems to have a particular flavor to it that I enjoy. I also like the Mexican accented Spanish, and in reference to my earlier post, it is good to learn, living in the US, as it is the largest variety of Spanish here.

Edited by Belle700 on 23 February 2012 at 11:45pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4482 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 53 of 100
24 February 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
I've noticed that TH pronunciation of C is blocking the diphthong,
so the word GRACIAS is pronounced as a 3 syllable word in Spain.
In Latin America, 2 syllable pronunciation of GRACIAS is more frequent, because [s] and [j] just flow together in the seseante accent.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Studies: French, German

Message 54 of 100
24 February 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Qué difícil es hablar el español :D

Edited by Quique on 24 February 2012 at 11:00am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5148 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 55 of 100
24 February 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Not quite sure what you mean by blocking the diphthong. My Andalusian pronunciation of gracias would be
gra thia - with two syllables.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 February 2012 at 1:44pm

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6366 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 56 of 100
24 February 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Which reminds me of a bad old joke

The Argentino says: gra thi as
The Mexicano says: gra cias
The Andalusiano says: gra thia
The Americanito says: grassy ass

<gets coat, walks out>

Edited by zenmonkey on 24 February 2012 at 2:18pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version