fiziwig
United States
Joined 4675 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 100
20 February 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Attempts have been made to define "neutral Spanish" (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Spanish ) but there is a lot of disagreement on the issue. Apparently movie companies use what they call "Latin American Neutral Spanish" for dubbing movies. Wikipedia also says: "Latin American Neutral Spanish tends to be common in Colombia (because of the existence of a lot of regional dialects) and Mexico, where most of mass media is made."

Googling many other sources, everybody seems to have a different idea on the subject, but the dialects that seem to get mentioned most often as being accent neutral are Colombian, Bolivian, Costa Rican, and Peruvian. Watch out for Costa Rica, though. They use voseo. There were also a lot of votes for "Mexican Broadcast Spanish" as opposed to any particular Mexican accent. (Remember that Mexican Spanish is really MANY different accents depending on where in Mexico you go.)

Also, most Googled source agree to avoid Puerto Rico, Cuba and Argentina as those accents are closer to the extremes. (Imagine a German student learning English from an American Cajun in Bayou country. That's an American learning Spanish in Cuba or Puerto Rico. Not a good plan.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 34 of 100
20 February 2012 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Mais sha, what be wrong wit ah accent?

Jokes aside, very appreciated. I can, without fear, listen to the news of the countries mentioned :P I've heard of Argentina and Cuba's odd accent, but I wasn't sure to watch out for Puerto Rico or the Voseo countries so much. Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6362 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 35 of 100
20 February 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Attempts have been made to define "neutral Spanish" (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Spanish ) but there is a lot of disagreement on the issue. Apparently movie companies use what they call "Latin American Neutral Spanish" for dubbing movies. Wikipedia also says: "Latin American Neutral Spanish tends to be common in Colombia (because of the existence of a lot of regional dialects) and Mexico, where most of mass media is made."

Googling many other sources, everybody seems to have a different idea on the subject, but the dialects that seem to get mentioned most often as being accent neutral are Colombian, Bolivian, Costa Rican, and Peruvian. Watch out for Costa Rica, though. They use voseo. There were also a lot of votes for "Mexican Broadcast Spanish" as opposed to any particular Mexican accent. (Remember that Mexican Spanish is really MANY different accents depending on where in Mexico you go.)

Also, most Googled source agree to avoid Puerto Rico, Cuba and Argentina as those accents are closer to the extremes. (Imagine a German student learning English from an American Cajun in Bayou country. That's an American learning Spanish in Cuba or Puerto Rico. Not a good plan.)

Colombia, Bolivia and Peru all have their own internal variation and can vary greatly.

Mexican Broadcast Spanish is mostly the Chilango or Altiplano accent without 'local color' words. It's closer to what educated people of the central area use.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 36 of 100
20 February 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:

Although both "castellano" and "español" are accepted as synonyms, from a purely
linguistic point of view only "español" makes really sense for the modern language spoken
in both sides of the pond.

That's like saying that "English" doesn't make sense for the language spoken in the USA
or Australia.

As Zenmonkey said, the term "castellano" is also used in LAm.
In Southern Mexico and Guatemala I've also heard "castilla".

Quique
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 

Message 37 of 100
20 February 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
the Castilian dialect
is packed with grammatical features that are by no means standard, many of them
condemned by prescriptivists such as: laísmo, loísmo, leísmo, overuse the present
perfect (lo he visto ayer) and use of the conditional instead of the imperfect
subjunctive (si yo tendría). I don't know about newsreaders, but the real people
I know from the Castilian areas may say things like "¿Has visto mi libro? Creo que
le he dejado ayer encima de la mesa -- ¡Si no estarías simpre cambiando las cosas de
sitio!
That strikes to me as odd to say the least, even though I'm a Spaniard, not
to mention to someone from the Americas.

I beg to disagree. Neither me nor the people I know do any of those things.

Leísmo and laísmo are very common in Madrid, but not in other places (and I find them
extremely annoying!).

I've only noticed the use of the conditional instead of the subjunctive in the Basque
country, not elsewhere.

To sum up, I find those sentences as weird as you do.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4492 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 

Message 38 of 100
20 February 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 

Medulin wrote:
I've heard that some Argentinians watch Spanish movies with English
subtitles :(

That's hard to believe. I've met Argentinians in Spain, Northern Europe and Central
America, and we didn't have any problem to chat. They use `vos' instead of `tú', so
what?

Argentinian movies (just as those from any other Spanish speaking country) are not
dubbed in Spain, nor Spanish movies are dubbed in LAm.

Medulin wrote:
I don't think vocabulary differences are small. Maybe in a scientific
style yes, but in everyday life, the vocabulary differences are pretty noticeable.

You're making it sound harder than it actually is. Some of those words (carro, pija)
are also used in Spain, albeit only colloquialy.

The same happens with British/American English (boot/trunk, lift/elevator, etc).

Medulin wrote:
Spaniards used to understand Latin American Spanish better 20 years ago
when they imported dubbed versions of American cartoons from Mexico. But now they have
their own dubs. Exposure to Latin American Spanish is limited to soap operas, but
nowadays, only old women watch them.

I'd argue the opposite is true: now we understand Latin American Spanish better that 20
years ago. There are several reasons for that, such as the Internet, the affordability
of traveling to LAm, the 1 million+ of Latin immigrants in Spain, the popularity of
Latin artists, etc.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4478 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 39 of 100
20 February 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:

Why should we avoid Argentinian Spanish?
From my contact with the Spanish people, I must say Argentinian Spanish is one of the rare Latin American accents they don't find annoying or ''cursi'' (=tacky), but pleasant.
Maybe, they respect it because of the high esteem Argentinians have. Argentinians made RAE accept voseo and include it in the official verbal paradigm (go to the RAE site and their dictionary, and put any verb into the conjugator, and you'll get the Argentinian voseo forms as well). Argentinian Spanish is one of the rare varieties of Spanish with their own, independent dictionary (Diccionario integral del español de la Argentina). Most other countries just made list/dictionaries of localisms and send them to RAE in Madrid which then decides what to include and what not in their dictionary.
But just like Americans don't care whether an Oxford dictionary will or will not
include their words and expressions, Argentinians don't care either, they made their own dictionary (comparable to MW's dicionary in the US). When you respect the way you speak, with no reservations, then other people will respect you too. That's why speakers of Argentinian Spanish are respected. Argentinians living in Spain make sure they DON'T lose their accent (not only LEO MESSI, but other people too ;)).

I think Argentinian Spanish is the most beautiful variant of Spanish.
A mixture of Galician Spanish and Italian (most immigrants came from Galicia and Italy) made it very unique and pleasant.
I could listen it for hours.

There is even a separate language certificate in Argentina:
CELU (Certificado de Español: Lengua y Uso)

Edited by Medulin on 20 February 2012 at 11:09pm

Javi
Spain
Joined 5791 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 40 of 100
20 February 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Quique wrote:
Javi wrote:
the Castilian dialect
is packed with grammatical features that are by no means standard, many of them
condemned by prescriptivists such as: laísmo, loísmo, leísmo, overuse the present
perfect (lo he visto ayer) and use of the conditional instead of the imperfect
subjunctive (si yo tendría). I don't know about newsreaders, but the real people
I know from the Castilian areas may say things like "¿Has visto mi libro? Creo que
le he dejado ayer encima de la mesa -- ¡Si no estarías simpre cambiando las cosas de
sitio!
That strikes to me as odd to say the least, even though I'm a Spaniard, not
to mention to someone from the Americas.

I beg to disagree. Neither me nor the people I know do any of those things.

Leísmo and laísmo are very common in Madrid, but not in other places (and I find them
extremely annoying!).

I've only noticed the use of the conditional instead of the subjunctive in the Basque
country, not elsewhere.

To sum up, I find those sentences as weird as you do.

Really? That's not my experience but anyway I've checked Wikipedia:

Quote:
La característica morfosintáctica más típica del castellano de algunas zonas es
el laísmo.[...]

[...]Sin embargo, en casi todos los dialectos de la antigua Castilla la Vieja también
está generalizado el leísmo de cosa, no admitido por los prescriptivistas.[...]

Sustitución del imperfecto de subjuntivo por el condicional simple, también llamada
condicional vasco ("Si tendría tiempo, iría", en lugar de "Si tuviese/tuviera tiempo,
iría). Se da en casi toda Navarra, Álava, Vizcaya, La Rioja, Burgos, Palencia y en
algunas partes de Cantabria. En estos casos, el hablante no diferencia entre
"hubiera/hubiese" y "habría", pudiendo decir "Si habrías comprado pan, no tendríamos
hambre".

Look here:
Gramática del
dialecto castellano septentrional

Edited by Javi on 20 February 2012 at 11:48pm

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version