United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 257 of 568
30 July 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

I finished Mijn haar is lang! Yay! This is definitely my fastest book so far.

My next one will be Blauwe Maandagen by Arnon Grunberg. I did start with this
one before in March, if you recall, but didn't get more than 40 pages in. After reading
Tirza, I am excited to return to another Grunberg. The only bummer is that I
have this lame cover because I ordered the book online, when, when I was in Utrecht
last July, I almost bought this way cooler-looking version at De Slegte but then
didn't because I was already buying a bunch of other books and thought it was too much.
I have since regretted this decision endlessly.

The cover I have - uncool, seems like chick lit

Original cover - looks mysterious, awesome

This is so petty, I know, but honestly I think the design is the whole point of having
a physical book. Otherwise I would just buy a Kindle. /rant

On the topic of books: I have noticed that people have been counting in decimal points
for the Super Challenge. I hesitated until now to follow suit because it seemed a bit
anal, but this way is more precise and accurate. Sooo I went through the list of
books I've already read and retotaled. My current, exact standing is:

Films: 77
Books: 6
"Books": 15.9

So obviously books are still way behind, but I will keep chipping away. I know that the
Super Challenge has already encouraged me to read way more than I otherwise would have
and that's what's most important.

Indonesian

I reviewed in Anki.

Edited by Hekje on 30 July 2013 at 8:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 258 of 568
01 August 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Dutch

I'm on page 65 of Blauwe Maandagen - reread the pages I had already read, and am
now a bit past where I left off.

Strangely, after reading Kartonnen Dozen everything seems easier. Today I
churned through passages I distinctly remember not understanding the first time around.
I guess language learning is similar to exercising in this aspect. Push yourself beyond
what you think you're capable of, and you will become more capable.

Indonesian

I signed up for Indonesian for the 6 Week Challenge. Hopefully I can get in some good
hours. I know logging myself always helps, and I actually haven't been logging time
with Indonesian yet - don't know why.

In other news: I reviewed, and I recognized the word tua in an article today, so
that's cool.

Edited by Hekje on 01 August 2013 at 5:33am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 259 of 568
03 August 2013 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Dutch

I am on page 87 of Blauwe Maandagen. Haven't been reading as much as I should, but some progress
has been made. I am definitely approaching the level of where I can enjoy the novel in the same way as I
would an English-language novel, so that's pretty cool.

Indonesian

Part of what I've been doing lately involves trawling through the websites of various Indonesian universities
and writing them nice letters, so I've been being exposed to a lot of Indonesian although not necessarily
studying intensively. It's quite fun. As Google translates the page I inevitably notice stuff about how the
sentence is constructed and spot loanwords (e.g., "vision" and "mission" are simply visi and misi in
Indonesian, just like how "-tion" often becomes -ie in Dutch). (And yes, finally, loanwords!)

Also, I noticed that dan is often translated as "and" - easy to remember, since it's an anagram. Don't
know why a different word for "and" was introduced first in the Assimil?

Edited by Hekje on 03 August 2013 at 4:16am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 260 of 568
04 August 2013 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Dutch

I am on page 91 of Blauwe Maandagen blahblahblah. Okay. Also, today I watched
the August 1 and August 2 episodes of EenVandaag, which is this shortish 25-
minute news show broadcasted by TROS/AVRO. I quite liked it; they have a good mix of
the serious and somewhat frivolous. As in, cool reports on African gay rights activists
alongside reports on the ex-husband of Princess Margarita.

Indonesian

Took notes on Assimil Lesson 7 and entered vocabulary from Lessons 5 through 7 into
Anki. We finally got an overview of basic interrogative words!

Edit: Coming back to note a few more developments since I have time.

One, I have to laugh at myself because "We finally got an overview of basic
interrogative Indonesian words!" is hardly a sentence I could have imagined myself
uttering two or three years ago. Oh dear. It's all good though.

Second, I discovered I was wrong about Assimil introducing a weird word for "and". They
actually did introduce dan, in Lesson 6. I just skipped right over it, like a
goof. Before that in lesson (5?) they introduced kalau, which sometimes means
"and" and sometimes means "if", and that's where the confusion came in.

Third, I have been practicing the trilled r after a vowel thing and it is finally
working out! I have been attempting it every time I do Assimil or Anki and suddenly
today it kind of came together. I think what helps is keeping my mouth relaxed and a
little more closed than before. Before the lips were much more tense, which made my
tongue too tense to easily trill too.

Fourth, I think I want to come back to French eventually. I have been reading the
Assimil lessons out loud on occasion and I realized I miss the way French sounds and
the economic ways you can express things only in French.

It won't be tomorrow or even this year probably, but I want to fully reclaim my past
knowledge at some point. Just puttin' it out there now.

Edited by Hekje on 04 August 2013 at 6:34am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 261 of 568
06 August 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

Yesterday I rewatched two episodes of Mag ik u kussen? (May 27 and June 5 2012).
I watched both seasons last year and found it quite funny then, but watching it again I
think it's frickin' hilarious.

Also, I remember I used subtitles last time and still didn't catch all the jokes. This
time I wasn't using any and understood about 95%. It's funny - it feels like my ears
were stuffed up with cotton before, and now I can hear clearly. Everyone seems to be
enunciating and speaking so slowly. I assume it's the prodigious amount of reading I've
been doing helping me recognize more words, since that's the only thing that's changed
in the interim.

Indonesian

I have been reviewing. Honestly, due to other personal circumstances right now (besides
moving), I am a bit hesitant to move forward with Indonesian. But I will continue, of
course.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 262 of 568
08 August 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Dutch

Ik zit nu op pagina 152 van Blauwe Maandagen. Het boek bereikt nu zijn
hoogtepunt, waarmee ik bedoel dat er opeens een redelijk groot aantal prostituees
verschijnt. Arnon Grunberg heeft altijd een bijzondere manier van schrijven.

Terzijde, als je wat zin in grappige videoclip's hebt:
dit is een charmante uitleg over
de Botol Cebok, een Indonesische manier van zelf wassen na poepen. (Sorry, ik kon geen
eleganter manier van uitleg verzinnen...) Dit zal geen verassing zijn voor de meeste
Nederlanders, denk ik, maar voor de knappe studenten van het Nederlands die dit logboek
leest misschien wel.

Indonesian

I have reviewed! And done Assimil 8, 9, and 10.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 263 of 568
12 August 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Dutch

Vorige week voelde ik me redelijk blij met mijn vooruitgang qua de Six Week Challenge.
Ik zat net in het midden van de groep - 44 of 45 van 88. Vandaag ben ik teruggekomen en
zie ik dat ik naar 66 ben gevallen. Haha, kut. Het is nu extreem duidelijk dat ik veel
minder tijd besteed met taal leren dan anderen op HTLAL, al was dat al behoorlijk
duidelijk.

Na mijn terugkomst van de bergen in mooie Vermont, las ik een paar draden op dit forum
over waarom sommigen talen leren. Ik probeerde ook bij verschillende gelegenheden mijn
eigen meningen toe te voegen. Na erover nadenken weet ik echter niet precies waarom ik
talen leer.

Aan de ene kant is het uiteraard een manier van familie leren kennen. Aan de andere is
het leuk simpelweg omdat ik niet hoogbegaafd in dit gebied ben, en daarom is het
allemaal spannend en uitdagend. Ik hou van veel programma's die Nederlandstalig zijn.
Verder is het ook ongewoon om talen als volwassen te leren in de Verenigde Staten en
dat vind ik ook leuk. Aangezien dat ik geen plannen heb om te verhuizen, heb ik dan
geen bepaalde behoefte om talen op te pikken (zoals ik had toen ik mijn avontuur met
het Nederlands begon).

Ik schrijf hierover want ik vind het heel erg belangrijk om te weten waarom je dingen
doen, zodat je weet hoe je je tijd moet besteden. Sterke redenen heb ik nu niet. Soms
vrees ik dat taal leren alleen maar een gewoonte is. Maar goed, ik ga maar door.

Deze weekend heb ik pagina 166 van Blauwe Maandagen bereikt.

Indonesian

I have done Assimil Lesson 11 and reviewed in Anki. The Anki deck is growing thick,
yay!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4506 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 264 of 568
14 August 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Even een zijdelingse opmerking: ik heb een
grafhekel aan het woord hoogbegaafd. Hier komt
dat namelijk overeen met het Amerikaanse idee
van gifted kids. Aangezien ik als kind heel
snel leerde rekenen en schrijven (ik sloeg dan
ook een groep over), deden ze bij mij een test
om te zien of ik hoogbegaafd was. Maar
natuurlijk kregen de andere kinderen daar snel
genoeg lucht van. Sindsdien gebruikten ze het
meer als scheldwoord dan in een enigszins
positieve betekenis.

Taalvaardigheid, intelligentie, wiskunde en
alle vergelijkbare zaken betekenen op de
langere termijn in mijn ervaring helemaal
niks. Dat jij niet van nature getalenteerd
bent op een bepaald vlak (wat dat ook moge
betekenen) zegt dus ook niks over je
taalvaardigheid.

Wat mij betreft lees ik dit logboek liever dan
de achterlijke gedragingen van sommige
landgenoten die elders op het Internet te
vinden zijn. Wat jij schrijft is interessant
en heeft karakter. Dan kunnen de helft van de
Nederlanders misschien beter de details van de
taal beheersen (en zelfs daar heb ik af en toe
mijn twijfels bij), zij schrijven geen
interessante posts. En al helemaal niet in een
taal die ze niet van kinds af aan hebben
geleerd. Ook al spreek je geen dertig talen,
deze vaardigheid kan niemand je meer afnemen.
En deze vaardigheid telt voor meer.

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version