Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 60
12 October 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
ox's eye to be precise (btw is it correct English "ox's"? I've never written it before).
but that's not the only strangely named food. have you seen "utopenec" in a pub?
(utopenec=drown man).
1 person has voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 18 of 60
15 October 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa:
Ox's eye makes more sense, somehow!
Yes, it is "ox's", even though it does look strange.
No, I haven't seen utopenec in the pub, but will keep my eyes out for it now. :-)

Log:
-Finished transforming my book2 Anki deck to audio questions. I now have it so that only the audio
phrase/sentence is on the "front", and the "back" has the sentence written in both Czech and English. I
don't know, maybe this is a really strange way to do things, but it's making the most sense for me right
now. I also find that it requires much more of my attention to do Anki reviews because I really have to
listen, and sometimes repeat the audio more than once, in order to know what the answer is. Before, with
written questions, I could go through many of the cards without really paying full attention.

-So now I'm looking for other sources of audio files, hopefully with only 1 or 2 sentences per audio file.
While I do have plenty of textbook audio in dialogue form, I'm trying to avoid spending all the time
necessary to chop those files up into shorter clips for Anki. I'm toying with the idea of getting a month's
subscription to this site: http://www.pronunciator.com/English/subscribe.html
Then I could grab the audio files, and use them for Anki. I've never heard of this site before, but it seems
to have a good audio collection, so it might be worth the price for one month.

-I visited Memrise today for the first time in half a year. The Czech lessons have expanded considerably,
which is great. Unfortunately, most lessons don't have audio, so they won't work for me with my current
audio focus. I may still use Memrise when I want to something different for a change. A few of the lessons
are vocabulary specifically for learning childrens' songs, with links to the YouTube videos that actually
include the words as part of the cartoon. Silly, cute, and helpful for learning a little Czech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN9_Vuki13M&list=HL135031427 1&feature=mh_lolz

-Also on Memrise, I found a link to a list of the most frequently used Czech words (in subtitles):

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/Cze ch_wordlist

Could be useful to create or look for sentences (with audio!) using these words...

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 19 of 60
15 October 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
mahasiswa wrote:
hribecek wrote:

I used "Chcete mluvit česky" and "chcete ještě lépe mluvit česky" as my main textbooks, but they´re kind
of boring for most people, very thorough though.

Are you kidding me? One major reason I want to learn Czech is because I found the textbook Chcete
mluvit česky. It is so thorough and the exercises are simple and repetitive.

Hi Mahasiswa
I agree with you about "Chcete mluvit česky" and also "Chcete ještě lépe mluvit česky", that's why I used them and still use the second one as a reference. I also love how thorough they are. However most (all the ones I know in the flesh) English speakers I know don't like them and prefer "Step by step".

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 20 of 60
20 October 2012 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm traveling right now, spending a lot of time with friends, so not much Czech time. Some passive
listening from Czech conversations around, some audio listening. Today, an hour and a half of Anki
review, book2 studying, and creating new Anki cards.

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 21 of 60
07 November 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I just discovered http://bab.la/ today! This is the most useful EN-CZ online dictionary I've come
across so far. I'm in love. :-)
I've also revisited _Chcete mluvit česky_ recently and like it quite a lot. I thought I'd checked it out before,
but who knows? So I've started working through that textbook, and am still using book2 for audio phrases
that I add to my Anki deck.

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 22 of 60
08 December 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I've been in a real slump with my Czech learning. I am (unwillingly) living in a little English-speaking
bubble in the Czech countryside, so I very irregularly even need to use any of the Czech I learn.
Consequently, on those rare occasions that someone does speak to me in Czech, my brain freezes and I
go completely blank! :-\
So, I've been feeling enormously frustrated and cranky about the whole situation.
I recently took an online placement test (http://www.jc-correct.com/czech-placement-test) and received a
recommendation to take intermediate-level classes. However, I know that I am nowhere near a real
intermediate level with listening and speaking, which is what matters to me. So this test underscored the
necessity for me to focus only on materials with audio and stay away from silent reading materials.
Obviously, it's time for me to find an online language exchange partner!!!
Also, I just joined the TAC 2013, on the Czechoslovak Team, so I am hoping that will give me some
motivation.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 23 of 60
09 December 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Where in the Czech countryside do you live?

Welcome to the Czechoslovak team!

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4453 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 60
09 December 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Tajosto,

if you want somebody who would correct your writing or answer your questions, I could do it for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have a reasonable internet connection for language exchange in audio, otherwise I would offer as well.

You might be lucky to find local exchange partner, in person - people looking to learn English really well are plenty here.

Where exactly do you live?
A countryside has its advantages sometimes - the community is often close knit, and even if you probably will stay "náplava" (the outsider, so to say) for next few generations, the people would include you given a half of a chance.
It is very easy to slip in the English-speaking bubble, but there are few ways how to get out of it.
Besides the obvious meet in a pub, another one worth looking into is a church - even I as an atheist find it good way to find local contacts, to find activities to participate and to volunteer. Another one would be local school or library or "mothers' center" (mateřské centrum) if there is any. The local activities tend to circle around these...

Good luck,
Majka

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version