Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 41 of 60
01 December 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Yes, watching the dubbed ones is easier at first. However, you need to choose the series carefully as not all of them are well dubbed. Sometimes, I think I would do a better job than the translator who got paid for it. And the same few people are in most dubbings, which gets annoying after a while. Some series with good dubbing: Stargate, Charmed, the Simpsons, most CSIs, Ally McBeal. Avoid: The Big Bang Theory.

As you are not against the short films for children, you might like Rákosníček or other from the same era and with similar style (most of them narrated by Jiřina Bohdalová). You might like some of the full length movie fairy tales. We have a lot of them and they are awesome. Some are easier some more difficult, most are beautiful. I think you might like Šíleně smutná princezna or Tři oříšky pro popelku. Both will be on tv during the Christmas, just as every year. Original movies and series in Czech aimed at adults may be more difficult. (A very difficult but awesome: Comeback).

I totally understand the joy of reading something from the "guilty pleasure" cathegory in the target language. It is useful and educational of course. But again, there are things with easier but good translation and those with worse one. I can recommend for example the novels by Agatha Christie. In general, older translations tend to be better. Harry Potter is great, of course, and anything you love will work. And, for the more complicated books, you can always get both the Czech and English version and read them side by side. ;-)

If you need someone to chat with on fb in Czech, let me know :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 42 of 60
01 December 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Yes, watching the dubbed ones is easier at first. However, you need to choose the series carefully as not all of them are well dubbed. Sometimes, I think I would do a better job than the translator who got paid for it. And the same few people are in most dubbings, which gets annoying after a while. Some series with good dubbing: Stargate, Charmed, the Simpsons, most CSIs, Ally McBeal. Avoid: The Big Bang Theory.

Friends is also generally pretty good. I must say that one of my geeky hobbies is watching these types of shows with dubbing and trying to spot mistakes. I love watching my favourite films and series with Czech dubbing to see how they translate my favourite quotes (I have a hell of a lot).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 43 of 60
01 December 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
True, Friends are good. (for example HIMYM is not, it's another on the "avoid list").

I don't do such things because it hurts me and tears my soul apart to see some of the mistakes :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 44 of 60
02 December 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa and @hribecek Thank you for all the suggestions, including the ones to avoid. :-)

Do either of you know if Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Doctor Who have good Czech dubbing, or should they be
avoided? Those are two of my favorite series, so I'm hoping to watch them in Czech someday. But if the dubbing is
bad, I'll stay away.

Since I'm new to this, I'm also wondering what constitutes good or bad dubbing? Is it both the translation and the
synchronicity of dubbed language to the actor's mouth movements?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 45 of 60
04 December 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I've never watched those two in Czech so I don't know about the dubbing quality.

For me bad dubbing is about the quality of the translation. Personally I don't care about and don't even notice bad synchronicity (maybe because it's always good on Czech TV).

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 46 of 60
04 December 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
I just had my first successful language exchange. Yay! :-)
We found each other through iTalki, and did one hour just now. Half English, half Czech. She says she's never
spoken with a native English speaker before, and I can hardly believe it. Her English was fluent with almost no
mistakes. Apparently she had one year of English in school which was almost entirely useless, and since then she's
just been listening, watching, and reading in English, as much as possible. It's amazing! I told her that she's inspired
me to spend more time listening and watching in Czech. :-) She was also patient with my stumbling Czech and even
complimented me on it, so I think it was a success. We've set another Skype appointment for next week.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 47 of 60
05 December 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
For me, it is the quality of the translation and whether or not there are the same five or so actors as everywhere. Really, there is this small group of people dubbing most films and series and I am getting allergic to them. Especially as one or two don't have pleasant voices at all, not enough to play the main heroes. It's sad, considering how many actors and interesting voices there are.

And there are a few series where no dubbing can be good as the gap between any dubbing and the original is too wide and deep. Such as the Big Bang Theory.

I saw about 15 minutes of dubbed Doctor Who on tv. I hated it. I cannot decide whether it belongs to the "no -dubbing-would-suffice" cathegory or it was just a bad dubbing.

Congrats on the exchange, sounds really good!

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 48 of 60
06 December 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
@Cavesa
For Doctor Who, I suspect it belongs to the "no -dubbing-would-suffice" category. ;-)
I think I'll try to stick to dubbed series I don't love, so I won't be upset if the dubbing is terrible!

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version