Joined 4453 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 60
21 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
tajosto,

I'm happy to hear you are working on your Czech.

One idea for you:
Could you ask your roommate to run commentary in Czech when in kitchen? I mean to describe what is happening, name all the pots, ingredients etc.?
I have found this very helpful, the same as to tag along when natives go shopping, to the bank, go pay local taxes or waste disposal...
It is not possible all the time - but here and there, such "lesson" is priceless.
1 person has voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 34 of 60
18 February 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, it's been terribly long since I last posted! But that doesn't mean I haven't been working on my Czech, just that
I'm terrible about remembering to post. ;-)

What have I been up to on the Czech front?

One of my roommates went with me to the local library and helped me get a library card. I was happy to discover
that they had a few different graphic novels (Alenka říši Divů, Malý Princ, etc) and an English/Czech parallel texts
fairy tale book, and was able to borrow them all for a month. So I'm very happy to have that resource available to
me, and plan to explore it more in the future.

I also purchased a CD and book of hundreds (perhaps even thousands?) of sentences in Czech and English:
http://www.njs.cz/e-shop/anglictina-i2-cviceni
I found this book on splog's FluentCzech YouTube channel, one of the resources he recommends. It really is
fantastically comprehensive, with variations on almost any sentence imaginable. One of the best parts is that, since
it's created by Czechs to teach English, I don't have to worry about the Czech sentences being correct, which is the
case for so many Czech language materials aimed at English speakers.

Speaking of incorrect sentences, I've stopped using Pronunciator partially for the reason of strange and/or incorrect
sentences. My roommates listened to some of the lessons and told me the language there is often quite strange.
Added to the fact that they don't have a very useful way of reviewing and maintaining old material, and a few other
things, I decided to go back to using Colloquial Czech and book2.

Another development that's been really helpful is that two of my roommates are spending an hour helping me with
Czech a few times a week. We've mostly worked on pronunciation and reading dialogues so far, and I'm looking at
various Language Helper learning activities listed on http://www.everydaylanguagelearner.com/ for additional ideas.

Those two roommates have also been trying to consciously increase the amount of Czech we speak in everyday
conversation, helping me understand what they are saying and helping me figure out what I want to say. We've been
keeping a notepad and pen on the kitchen table to write down many of the sentences and phrases I don't know
(which is MOST of them, it seems like!) so that I can add them to Anki later on.

I've also rediscovered the dictionary on seznam.cz:
http://slovnik.seznam.cz/cz-en/

I've used it before, but somehow failed to notice until recently that when you look up a word, it also has "Pokročilá
gramatika" and "Základní fráze" which often have quite a few different phrases and sentences using the word you've
looked up. This has been really useful to me recently, because when I learn a new word, I like to see it used in a few
different sentences or phrases.

Also, I've started using the Memrise website again and was happy to discover that some of the Czech lessons have
audio pronunciation now.

I continue to have some days where I despair of ever learning Czech and think longingly of some language more
closely related to English... but then I have days where I recognize and understand a new word, or have a simple
exchange with one of my roommates in Czech, and feel that whole thing may be possible. :-)

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 35 of 60
23 May 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I recently signed up for the 6 Week Challege that started May 1. Although I don't expect to be anywhere near the
top of the list in the 6WC, the accountability is great. It's been REALLY helpful in encouraging me to maintain a
regular record of my Czech learning activities, and to give me the extra push to do a little bit every day. My
activities are here:
https://twitter.com/tamarindj

I know that this language log is supposed to have the same kind of accountability, but I always feel like I have to
write something worth reading here, while the 6WC setup allows me to send short, quick tweets directly from my
phone. I love the HTLAL forum, but do wish that the technology was a little newer, and had better integration
with social media. Oh, well.

I've primarily been using Memrise to cram vocabulary lately, working on a course of 1,000 Most Common Czech
Words. I decided recently that one of my biggest problems with Czech right now is lack of vocab, so that's what
I'm focusing on for the time being. Before, I was trying to only learn vocabulary words within sentences and
phrases AND always with audio (which I still think is a great idea if the material is readily accessible). But this
required so much work for me to find and manipulate that content myself, that I just wasn't doing it. So I'm
learning single word vocabulary now, but also continuing to listen to audio books, etc, and add sentences to my
Anki decks.

Yay, for the 6 Week Challenge, Memrise, and Anki! :-)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 36 of 60
23 May 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi Tajosto

Glad to see that you're still active in your Czech studies and here on the forum. I also found the 6 week challenges to be a great extra motivation to study.

I know what you mean about writing updates here, it's not just that I feel that they have to be interesting but just doing the writing of it feels like a boring chore.

Anyway, keep it up!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 37 of 60
23 May 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
My biggest problem with putting down an entry is that it takes more time to do than it seems rather than an inability to get what I feel is interesting material. I can easily spend a couple of hours at a time looking for suitable comic strips (i.e. not too vulgar / racy, the punchline is decent if not uproariously funny, the language used or cultural references don't unduly tax my existing abilities or knowledge) and/or verifying the accuracy of any technical explanations (e.g. the comparison of Croatian and Serbian dialogues is fun but time-consuming).

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 38 of 60
20 November 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Here I am again, making one of my extremely infrequent updates!

I have been continuing to learn Czech consistently, though I haven't been consistent in what I've been doing, apart
from continuing to add vocabulary on Memrise and audio sentences in Anki. I also try to listen to something every
day, usually a children's audio book or fairy tales, or a podcast for children. Other than that, my learning varies
quite a bit.

This fall, I signed up and attended about half of a 10-week class in Brno. Around the midpoint of the class, the
director for the language school asked for feedback on the class, and I suddenly realized just how miserable I was in
the class. The class was more of small group tutoring, rather than a standard class. There was only me, and one
other student, and our teacher. I previously took 2 classes at this language school with the same small number of
students, and really enjoyed the classes. However, this time, the dynamics between the 3 of us didn't work well. The
teacher spoke very quickly in Czech, and I was very often unable to understand or guess what she was saying.
Although my previous teachers spoke only in Czech, I was somehow able to intuit or guess what they were saying
most of the time, even what I didn't understand the actual Czech words. But with this teacher, that just didn't work!
Then, to really make things difficult, the other student has a naturally talkative personality, so she tended to
dominate the conversation, despite my teacher's efforts to encourage my speaking. So I spent most of the class
confused from my teacher and silent next to my classmate. Not a good combination for learning! As I said to the
language director, even if we had been speaking English, I wouldn't have had much to say with such a chatty person
next to me. Just bad personality dynamics, I guess.
Anyway, the director of the school gave me some other options instead of continuing with that class, so I'm doing a
few private lessons with the director (my first Czech teacher, actually), rather than continuing with the class.

In other Czech learning news, I am able to communicate more and more with my housemate who doesn't speak
English. So that's definitely encouraging! :-)

It's also very clear to me that my biggest problem in Czech is not having enough daily practice, since I live and work
at home, and most of my housemates speak English to me. I've been sending messages to people on various
language exchange sites (italki, gettandem, themixxer) to try to set up a Czech-English language exchange, but
having been coming up empty. People will respond one time, but never seem very interested. I truly can't figure out
if I'm sending weird messages, or have a terrible profile, or what! ;-) But I'll keep trying and hope I find some
language partners soon.

2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 39 of 60
23 November 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see that you're still an active Czech learner.

Do you watch any Czech TV programs? Finding regular Czech language programs helped me a lot with understanding, especially if it's interesting.

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4453 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 

Message 40 of 60
24 November 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
@hribecek
I don't watch Czech TV programs yet, though I do watch Czech and Czech-dubbed cartoons online (I love Krtek, but
unfortunately he doesn't speak, so that's out for language learning).
So far, my listening comprehension is still pretty low, so I have the best comprehension success watching American
movies I've already seen in English dubbed in Czech. Because I already know the plot line and characters (and
cultural context) it's a lot easier. But I do look forward to the time when I can watch current Czech television. I've
seen a couple of episodes of Vyprávěj and have it on my list for when my language skills improve. :-)

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version