Joined 5270 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 25 of 32
27 March 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
To me it kind of makes sense (two sounds = two letters), but if you have a look at historical texts you'll see they're often mixed.

Heck, you can look at modern Spanish words and see the historical mixing. Comparing with French tells me that "beber" was probably once "bever" (like in English "beverage") and "caballo" was probably "cavallo" (like in English "cavalry").

There is indeed evidence of those words being spelled like that in the past.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 32
27 March 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
To me it kind of makes sense (two sounds = two letters), but if you have a look at historical texts you'll see they're often mixed.

Heck, you can look at modern Spanish words and see the historical mixing. Comparing with French tells me that "beber" was probably once "bever" (like in English "beverage") and "caballo" was probably "cavallo" (like in English "cavalry").
they both had b's originally in Latin.
In general, French is far more likely to be umm... innovative, hehe. Ie raping the original forms violently. Spanish does it a lot too, Portuguese and Italian a bit less imo.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6381 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 27 of 32
28 March 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
In general, French is far more likely to be umm... innovative, hehe. Ie raping the original forms violently. Spanish does it a lot too, Portuguese and Italian a bit less imo.

Holy etymology, Batman! What does that mean? Was 'b' and 'v' already mixing it up in vernacular Latin, or what?

kman543210
Diglot
United States
Joined 4463 days ago

26 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 28 of 32
28 March 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Serpent wrote:

Holy etymology, Batman! What does that mean? Was 'b' and 'v' already mixing it up in vernacular Latin, or what?

I believe that the Latin /b/ between vowels probably became /v/ in Vulgar Latin, so that Latin bibere became bever in Old Spanish. With the Castilian merger of the phonemes /b/ and /v/, the spelling was probably changed back to "b" to match the original Latin spelling.

This happened with other words as well:
(Latin, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French)
caballus, caballo, cavallo, cavalo, cheval
probare, probar, provare, provar, prouver
habere, haber, avere, haver, avoir
debere, deber, dovere, dever, devoir
faba, haba, fava, fava, feve

Edited by kman543210 on 28 March 2012 at 9:15am

10 persons have voted this message useful

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4731 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 30 of 32
19 September 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Tadeo wrote:
Back to the original question, I'd say keeping b/v distinct would be very noticeable (which may or may not "grate" the listener's ears) in the following contexts:

- B in intervocalic position. Pronouncing beber or saber as [beber] and [saber] instead of [beβer] and [saβer] really stands out.

Strange. It often sounds to me like beber is pronounced as [beber] and saber almost like [saver]. But my native language is Finnish. So those b and v do not quite match with English. But it sounds to me like b is often pronounced bit differently in those two words.

Edited by petteri on 19 September 2012 at 4:22pm

ArgSp&Malayalam
Diglot
Slovenia
Joined 4254 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Malayalam

Message 31 of 32
19 September 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
kman543210 wrote:
Ari wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I believe that the Latin /b/ between vowels probably became /v/ in Vulgar Latin, so that Latin bibere became bever in Old Spanish. With the Castilian merger of the phonemes /b/ and /v/, the spelling was probably changed back to "b" to match the original Latin spelling.

This happened with other words as well:
(Latin, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French)
caballus, caballo, cavallo, cavalo, cheval
probare, probar, provare, provar, prouver
habere, haber, avere, haver, avoir
debere, deber, dovere, dever, devoir
faba, haba, fava, fava, feve

In Italian, the present of DOVERE is either DEBBO or DEVO ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4550 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 32 of 32
20 September 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
In Honduras I see lots of signs which use words like "sebende" (se vende) or "ebitese," even on official printed
signs at bus stations, and in speech I have never noticed any difference between b and v. Also, when I see students
take notes in Spanish they appear to more or less shun even using the letter v in writing (secondary school
graduates). Just an interesting thing I've noticed that I hadn't noticed in other parts of the hispanophone world.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version