Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 9 of 101
14 April 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Assimil and Linguaphone are coming along great. I've been studying with them for at least an hour every day so far. The other materials had to be put on hold because of a lot of work. :/. I have yet to miss an Assimil lesson after 43 days but I missed one small dialogue on Linguaphone by accident. Oh well, I doubled up the next day. I've been listening to some French songs and that has added a few words of vocab. I'm very excited to start diving into native material soon!

Edited by sillygoose1 on 14 April 2012 at 5:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 10 of 101
18 April 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Almost ready to begin the active wave. I just finished lesson 47. Tomorrow I'm going to do 48 and 49, the revision, then I will start the active wave. I'm actually excited to start the active wave.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 11 of 101
21 April 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Just finished Passive 51/Active 2

So far I translated correctly except for one word (au) and I left out est-ce que in one.

I just ordered the physical copy of French Without Toil and I also ordered the audio for Using French so I am set for awhile. I'm going to buy a grammar book too probably.

Also, I discovered FrenchPod101.com. I have come to like it and I think I'd like to make it part of my routine to boost comprehension.

So far so good!

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4454 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 12 of 101
21 April 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi, fellow French learner. Good to see you making progress. :-)

Sounds like you're having a good experience with the Assimil. I think I may want to get
that one myself, since I have seen the series praised often around here. At the moment I
am just using LingQ, watching French In Action videos, and logging my study time in this
forum.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 13 of 101
21 April 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Hello to you too fellow French learner. :)

I would say my Assimil experience is very pleasant and it's fun too! I would most certainly recommend that you purchase it. It's pretty cheap on Amazon, plus the Without Toil is going for like 3 dollars on Amazon too.

How is LingQ? I've heard about it but never investigated.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4454 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 101
21 April 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I have found LingQ very useful so far. It has an enormous amount of content for French,
and the interface (unknown words highlighted, popup dictionary tool) makes learning new
words very simple. I also like that I can download the audio files for listening on my
computer offline.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 15 of 101
24 April 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Passive 55/Active 5

It's kind of aggravating at first missing a word or two, but hey I'm still learning.

I'm impressed with my results this far.

The physical copy of French Without Toil arrived today. Can't wait to dive into that also.

I've decided that I'd like to double major with French in university. It will give me a chance to study abroad and in the long run it will benefit me a lot I believe.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 16 of 101
05 May 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Currently a little under halfway through the Linguaphone course, and as far as Assimil is concerned, I'm on 23 of Without Toil and 67 of With Ease.

I was playing a game and I joined a French server so naturally I tried to communicate. I only held simple conversations but they weren't conversations with basic vocab. It was awesome communicating to people and them communicating back knowing they spoke no English. I think when I play video games it will mostly be on French servers for listening/conversational skills. I've noticed that the French and Germans tend to play video games a fair amount so if you're reading this and studying any of those languages, finding online games with them are the easiest, besides English of course. I did make a good amount of grammar errors on another French forum, but hey, I'm only two months in and they understood what I was saying anyway.

But man, the last two months or so really paid off as soon as I talked to them. I was messing around with them a bit and asked them if it's true about most French people disliking Americans, and they said that they just don't care for the government or the war. Really nice people. After that, I don't picture the motivation going away any time soon. It's one thing to study, but as soon as you interact with them, it's a whole new level.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version