Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 97 of 101
18 December 2012 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:
Radio, News, Dubbed series = Fine. 90%+ comprehension.
Some TV shows, songs, listening to French people discuss amongst themselves = 40-60%

Those are great results! Congratulations on your progress. :-)

If you want to play around with the sample audio for the DELF/DALF exams, you might enjoy listening to them with the actual time limits and the questions. It's harder that way, because you need to listen and think at the same time which uses up mental bandwidth. (Oh, and don't trust the audio samples. The actual exam was a bit harder, which threw me off and made me panic a bit.)

Thanks. It's still frustrating though! I just can't wrap my head around their speech at times.

Did you find that it'll all just come eventually with listening continuously? Do you usually listen to radio or something before diving into a show? I find that tends to help quite a bit.

I knew those samples were a bit too easy. It's still something to work with I guess.

Are you doing a TAC this year?
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 101
18 December 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Did you find that it'll all just come eventually with listening continuously? Do you usually listen to radio or something before diving into a show? I find that tends to help quite a bit.

Listening seems to have lots of little different pieces—real-time decoding, having a big enough vocabulary (which I mostly get through reading), correctly linking the sounds I hear to the letters I read, and then somehow making everything sensible in real time with enough leftover mental bandwidth to do something with it. I think doing tons of listening is super-helpful, but it's not enough by itself. I also need reading.

When I turn on Buffy, it takes me maybe 30 seconds to tune in. If I turn on VoilaTV, I sometimes just need to watch for 5 or 10 minutes before I start understanding most of what I'm hearing, especially if it's talking heads yammering at each other. I guess this is why long series rock.

There's a certain small fraction of conversation that's insanely hard. I don't know how to explain this without just giving you my Amélie subs2srs deck, or maybe posting a few evil cards online. There's a tiny handful of clips that I have to listen to 20 times with a transcript before I can even hear all the pieces.

There's also the question of what I mean by "80% comprehension"—do I mean understanding what 80% of the sentences mean, or clearly getting every single word of 80% of the sentences? I've called both of these "80% comprehension" at various times, and both definitions are sometimes useful.

sillygoose1 wrote:
Are you doing a TAC this year?

I'm planning on reading a bunch of PaX French logs, but I'm not actually intending to join a team.

Edited by emk on 18 December 2012 at 6:39am

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5499 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 99 of 101
03 January 2013 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Hey, sillygoose. Glad to have you on team pax! I've read a lot of your log here (don't have time to read it all right now), and I'll definitely keep up with all your posts from here on out. Good luck!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 100 of 101
03 January 2013 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
I'm really looking forward to what 2013 has in store for you. I study Spanish, French and Italian also, so I will be watching your progress with a lot of interest!

CY
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 3532 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese, Korean*

Message 101 of 101
02 December 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
It's been awhile since I last posted.

I did Assimil today. Lesson 38 in New French With Ease and this lesson took a long time for me to internalize
or at least understand 95% of the lesson without looking at the text. This lesson took me an hour today which
is the longest it's ever taken so far. Sometimes I tend to get frustrated when I can't understand the text
without reading along with the audio, but it still feels like some what of an accomplishment trucking through it.

Last night, I too studied leçon 38. It is the longest lesson so far upto there.

This discussion contains 101 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version