Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4976 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 1 of 60
23 March 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I have an idea for a post, in modern times it's a must to know English, and learning it gives you a lot of oppurtunities.
but is it worth at all to learn any other language?
you want to watch anime?
no problem, you can watch them subbed in English.
You like Korean dramas?
it's no problem too, a lot of subbed dramas on the net.
You want friends from abroad?
no problem, whole world learns English.
Therefore I think it makes sense to do a list of things you cannot do with English, to motivate people to learn languages other than English, and to show that it's worth it.

I will start:

1 you cannot learn Sundanese

I did not find anything in English on it, but there were some websites on it in Japanese.

2. It's always better to understand movies in their original language rather than read subs.

7 persons have voted this message useful

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4499 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 60
23 March 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Well, it works for almost all languages. But if you want to motivate a native English
speaker to learn another language, let's say :

- English doesn't come with an open-minded community like for Esperanto. Esperanto works
like a filter. When you speak English, it also includes racists, extremists, moralists
and so on... Unlike Esperanto speakers who always are open-minded. But that's probably
the only language which works this way.

Edited by Everything on 23 March 2012 at 6:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 60
23 March 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Lacking clusivity, you cannot in English distinguish between inclusive and exclusive first person plural pronouns.   

When someone from a group of colleagues say to me "We are getting pay raises", I am left wondering whether by "we" the speaker meant herself and others with her but not me, or that I am included in her reference to "we".

Of course, my boss, in looking at my various negative performance issues and just generally my habit of being a management nightmare, would strongly suggest that despite English lacking clusivity, I really should harbour no doubt at all about whether or not I fall into the class of folks getting a pay bump up.

Edited by Spanky on 23 March 2012 at 6:34pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Chevalier
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4505 days ago

53 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 4 of 60
23 March 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Depending on your job, you can't live in most Non-Anglophone countries.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 60
23 March 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
You mean there are no Esperanto-speaking bastards? At all?
Esperanto speakers are unlikely to be xenophobic but they may well be homophobic and a bunch of other things, for example. Just like some speakers of any other language. Being open-minded about one thing doesn't necessarily mean being open-minded about another (though it might make it somewhat more likely).
TBH, the "yay Esperanto!" spirit of texts for learners reminds me on textbooks and phrasebooks from the USSR times...
27 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6237 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 60
23 March 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You mean there are no Esperanto-speaking bastards? At all?
Esperanto speakers are unlikely to be xenophobic but they may well be homophobic and a bunch of other things, for example. Just like some speakers of any other language. Being open-minded about one thing doesn't necessarily mean being open-minded about another (though it might make it somewhat more likely).
TBH, the "yay Esperanto!" spirit of texts for learners reminds me on textbooks and phrasebooks from the USSR times...

I've heard of an Esperanto-speaking racist, so they apparently exist, though very firmly and openly racist Esperanto speakers are very rare. I haven't met one, though a certain amount of more casual racism, presumably through ignorance or lack of exposure, isn't entirely absent in many speakers, accompanied by anti-racist sentiments. Homophobia is more common - frequency varies drastically by country of origin, but tends to be significantly less common than among typical people from the same area.

Learner texts vary; you're quite right that some are unreadably bombastic.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4854 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 7 of 60
23 March 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:

no problem, whole world learns English.

That's an exaggeration. Even if many young people learn English, most people do not speak
it at the sufficient level, anyway.
8 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 8 of 60
23 March 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
The idea that speakers of a particular language must be good people is illustrated in this excerpt from The Simpsons. Clearly the 20th century just passed some people by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMkzdn2TDuI

Edited by William Camden on 23 March 2012 at 8:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version