60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 8 Next >>
HMS
England
Joined 4904 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 41 of 60
03 April 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
There are situations that cannot be described in English but can be in other languages.
"Shadenfreude" for example. A brilliant word!!! There's also another German one I am unsure of though - "Standlich??" Describing a group of people in a pub discussing politics??
1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5493 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 42 of 60
04 April 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I don't know about the second one, but there already is a single English word that means
Schadenfreude: schadenfreude. :) (es wird „geenglischt“)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 43 of 60
04 April 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
There are situations that cannot be described in English but can be in other languages.
"Shadenfreude" for example. A brilliant word!!! There's also another German one I am unsure of though - "Standlich??" Describing a group of people in a pub discussing politics??

The greedy Anglophonie will not tolerate other languages posessing important concepts that we lack. We therefore declare that "Schadenfreude," with the "sch-" and all, shall henceforth be an English word. (And it was so: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schadenfreude?s=t)

I assume the second one you're going for is "Stammtisch." We, the Anglophonie, hereby declare that this also shall henceforth be an English word. (And it was so: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Stammtisch+?s=t)

5 persons have voted this message useful

benzionisrael
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4462 days ago

79 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, SpanishB2

Message 44 of 60
13 April 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Everything wrote:
Well, it works for almost all languages. But if you want to motivate a native English
speaker to learn another language, let's say :

- English doesn't come with an open-minded community like for Esperanto. Esperanto works
like a filter. When you speak English, it also includes racists, extremists, moralists
and so on... Unlike Esperanto speakers who always are open-minded. But that's probably
the only language which works this way.

Above: Typical Esperantist nonsense.

You find plenty of extremists and fanatics in the Esperanto movement as well.

Any minor criticisms of Esperanto or the Esperanto movement almost always seem to trigger a wave of agressive and emotional responses by overly defensive Esperantists.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4853 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 46 of 60
20 January 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Actually, many nouns in Russian are indeclinable. Most of these are
loanwords whose endings don't quite fit into the Russian system of gender assignment.
This is in contrast to languages like Latvian where, as far as I know, all loanwords,
even proper names, have to fit into the Latvian declination system (e.g. "John Lennon"
becomes "Džons Lenons", because nominative masculine nouns have to end in -s or -š). You
are correct about agreement though.

John Lennon is declined in Russian as well.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4853 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 47 of 60
20 January 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

1)
Chung vidí IronFista "Chung sees Ironfist" (Slovak)
IronFista vidí Chung "Chung sees Ironfist" (Slovak - i.e. Ironfist is seen by Chung -
"It's IronFist whom Chung sees")

2)
IronFist vidí Chunga "Ironfist sees Chung" (Slovak)
Chunga vidí IronFist "Ironfist sees Chung" (Slovak - i.e. Chung is seen by Ironfist -
"It's Chung whom IronFist sees")

I thought the meaning was the opposite: the last component is the rheme. Is Slovak
opposite to Russian here?
Хунга видит Иронфист pronounced with a neutral intonation would mean It is Ironfist who
sees Chung.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4569 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 48 of 60
20 January 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
Actually, many nouns in Russian are indeclinable. Most of these
are
loanwords whose endings don't quite fit into the Russian system of gender assignment.
This is in contrast to languages like Latvian where, as far as I know, all loanwords,
even proper names, have to fit into the Latvian declination system (e.g. "John Lennon"
becomes "Džons Lenons", because nominative masculine nouns have to end in -s or -š). You
are correct about agreement though.

John Lennon is declined in Russian as well.
Because Джон Леннон fits into the Russian
declension system. Names that don't (like Madeleine Albright) remain unchanged and undeclinable in
Russian (Мадлен Олбрайт), but get altered in Latvian (Madlēna Olbraita).

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version