51 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 51
17 April 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Actually, JKerouac, je voudrais IS the conditional and je voudrai is the futur. Je voudrais is one expression that I know is correct when I see it, and my French is pretty hopeless as a rule, haha...
2 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4413 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 18 of 51
18 April 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Oh that makes me feel good because I thought it was right. If michel thomas has taught me one thing, it was je
voudrais.

I'm starting to think I should be introducing some grammar now. I have a grammar book, but I think I need to be
about an A2 to use it. Well, maybe. I'm not really an expert on the levels, but it seems to be for Advanced Beginner
onwards. I may have a crack at looking through it on the weekend.

In the meantime I may use the about.com french language section for some verb lessons. The french language
section on the site seems to be quite good, and I've used it quite a bit in the past.

Is this a fruitless attempt?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 51
18 April 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
It is surely not fruitless. Actually, I believe you could use your grammar book even
now. The grammar terms are repeating a lot, so you'll soon know them well enough. And
as a beginner, you can just pick the things you are interested in. I'd say most of the
higher level recommendation is just meant to not scare beginners off :-) As long as you
don't try to digest it all at once, you shouldn't bee to overwhelmed. When it comes to
the internet resources, some are good but there are mistakes in many of them, so it may
be a ood idea to check your findings with the grammar book.

And how is your listening going on? Still have time for Buffy?
I wish the French library here had some series on DVDs (they mostly specialize in
"higher quality" French movies). It is hard to find them on the internet these days and
they are too expensive. Even when I have a DVD with a film, there is usually the
original (usually English), Czech and a language or two I don't need now and probably
never won't (such as Hungarian) :-(
2 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4413 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 20 of 51
18 April 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Awesome. I'll check out the book next week.

Unfortunately, life is super hectic right now, and i know that doesn't mean i should stop my french, but i'm trying
to focus on my actual studies. Tomorrow I have an exam for 40% of my grade in one subject, so I've been
working on that the past few days after hyperfocussing on french for the past month. Next week i have two huge
assignments due on monday and tuesday, so until then i'm trying to avoid as much french as possible. I'm happy
to report that it is absolutely killing me! I haven't listened to any buffy for some time, but I did watch some Ally
Mcbeal the other day. First with English and french subtitles, and I found that I could understand a great deal. I
then put it in french with English subtitles, but didn't like that, so changed to french subtitles with french audio. I
understood less then, but I was catching stuff I understood.

When I went grocery shopping the other day I saw 'The Big Bang Theory' DVDs were only $25 per season. I have
all these on my computer already, but the DVDs would allow me to use subtitles. I'm actually finding that there
are MANY dvds that don't have French subtitles, but many other languages, including Finnish. I'm finding that
rather strange as I would have expected French to be subbed on many. Anyway Big Bang theory season 1 did not
have french audio or subs, but season 2 and 3 did and it took a great deal of restraint to avoid buying them. I
figure that something like that may be too difficult at this juncture, but I like the idea of watchign a sitcom to
start with... it takes alot of concentration to pay attention for a whole 40minutes at the moment!

I've been continuing watering my plants in my memrise garden, but with the amount of study I have for my
university stuff right now (thanks to my bright idea of doing a time-heavy extra curricular competition... not a
good idea) I haven't been reviewing what is in my greenhouse. I know that probably isn't the brightest idea, but at
least this way I won't have so many plants wilting. Once I get through the next week I'm going to be fine.

I have to join a real library. i've seen that they have a bit in french... i think i saw on the website that they have
pimsleur!!! it would be amazing if they did! Alternatively i could join alliance francaises. It's $50, which as a
student is expensive, but i suppose that is less than gym membership for a month. They seem to have a big
libarary of french stuff.

Have you had any luck with just normal dvds that have french subbing or dubbing? Although I wouldn't be hugely
surprised if you struggled. I swear i thought i always used to see french on them, but apparently not. I MUST grab
my dvd collection next time i'm home so i can go through and find french stuff for the super challenge.

Woo weeee i've been writing for ages!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 21 of 51
18 April 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Subtitles are easy to find for what you have in computer, no need to buy DVD for that.
if you use bsplayer, you can easily find subtitles in many languages (even though most
of Torchwood doesn't have French subtitles in their subtitle storages. But they have
Spanish...), you'll get to it through the right click. Or it is easy to google French
sites with soutitres.

The dubbing is more difficult to find. The library of the French Institut is an obvious
choice where to look for such things but they don't get the serials. They have limited
money to spend on dvds, so they prefer to put in more "culturally valuable" stuff, I
guess.

But, as an old member, who has already paid quite a lot of late-return-money despite
their lenient rules, I am going to write down all the things I miss and want soon, and
send it their proposals email :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4413 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 22 of 51
19 April 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Oh yes, I forgot about finding subtitles online. I'll have to do that for things have on my computer. Of course,
I'm wanting to listen to as much French as possible, so I've just bought How I Met Your Mother on DVD. It has
french subs and audio, so that's good. From now on though, I'm refusing to buy DVDs that only have English, just
on principal. I mean, I want to learn more than just French, and by having a collection of languages on my DVDs
I'll be doing much better when it does come time to learn something new.

I joined the city library today. I've been a member of my library back home my whole life, but until this year I have
not had proof of address until now (3 years in the making).

As we speak, I'm listening to How I met your mother in french and i'm beginning to be able to distinguish the
characters voices. I swear they all even sound similar to their English counterparts.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 51
19 April 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I really like french.about.com, too. There's a lot of good information there, and the
explanations are pretty clear.

As for grammar books, some really amazing polyglots around here (such as Iverson) skim
through them as soon as they start to study, and try to get an overview of the most
important grammar rules (but not the exceptions). This gives him a nice map of the
terrain ahead. After that, I think he tries to learn the most important regular rules,
and holds off on the irregular stuff until after he's done a fair bit of reading.

But as for me, I don't like too much stress, so I prefer to absorb the language for a
while, and not worry too much about (say) the 5 most common groups of irregular -re
verbs. It's totally possible to have awesome, hour-long conversations in French without
knowing all those rules by heart.

So it's totally up to you. :-) If you find the grammar books helpful and interesting,
dive right in. But if you're all, "Argh! This is way too complicated right now!", then
it's OK to go do fun stuff with your French. Your brain is naturally good at languages,
and it will figure out all kinds of grammar if you give it enough examples.

Bon courage !

Edited by emk on 19 April 2012 at 1:30pm

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 24 of 51
20 April 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Consider checking out amazon.fr for tv series on dvd with French dubbing. They often have sales that
make it worth it. They might actually still be doing their 100€ worth for 50€ sale which they run
regularly. I got How I Met Your Mother, Veronica Mars and Chuck (which is one of the few I've found to
have subs that almost match the dubbing) through them. You can watch region 2 dvds through VLC
Player or you can get a region free player or try to hack your current one.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version