Congo
Joined 5857 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 25 of 51
07 May 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I think there is more than one installment because Steve Kaufmann has published a preview of Part Two on his youtube channel.

AFAIR, it was Keith Swayne (CanadianLinguist) the one who published those previews and, unfortunatelly, it seems to be there are not going to be any more installments :'(
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 51
07 May 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
Tim and I realised that there would be little chance of much of what we filmed to be used in the show. There
are only so many minutes in a 15 minute programme, right? ;p

So we made some clips ourselves afterwards, which we will now be able to release. We had to sit on them
until the show aired, so that the first placed we'd be seen together would be on 16x9.

I will start checking out the material on my SD card and pop up some things on my YouTube channel soon. I
will put links on my blog, Facebook page and Twitter. Of course, I will also pop in a link or two here too for
anyone interested in seeing some more footage of our conversations together.

I am looking forward to this video material very much. Wise idea to make some extra recordings!

Fasulye
2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4822 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 51
07 May 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I wish we could have seen more of Arrekkusu. He's one of my forum heroes anyway, so it would have been a treat.

I realize the article had to be heavily edited, but any beginner can say "My name is..." in a target language. That alone doesn't indicate much skill even if it was the easiest thing to put into the piece.

And to Richard, I must say that I did enjoy your grasp of accents, in particular the Finn speaking English accent. I had that moment of revelation that, "I guess they DO sound like that!"

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5206 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 28 of 51
07 May 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to seeing more material!

I was also disappointed with the inference of hyperpolyglots being special in having the ability to learn many languages with only the polyglots themselves providing a contrary view. I was annoyed at the fact the producers only consulted one neurolinguist and seemingly not a very good one at that. She is either somehow completely ignorant of, or just completely ignores the implications of neuroplasticity. This is hardly fringe neuroscience and has been in the news often so that laymen like me even know of it.

If you intensely use a part of the brain through learning then more connections are made and the brain changes, making it easier to perform the action you are learning or performing, and this still happens in adulthood. There are plenty of supporting studies, the most famous being the one about London taxi drivers who have to learn the placements of 25,000 streets as well as 20,000 landmarks within a 6 mile radius. As a result of this training, their hippocampus gets bigger.

Here is some further reading on 15 examples of neuroplasticity if anyone is interested:

Neuroplasticity in Action

It's a shame the programme wasn't longer and better researched.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 07 May 2012 at 7:00pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 29 of 51
07 May 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
I wish we could have seen more of Arrekkusu. He's one of my forum heroes anyway, so it would have been a treat.

I realize the article had to be heavily edited, but any beginner can say "My name is..." in a target language. That alone doesn't indicate much skill even if it was the easiest thing to put into the piece.

The "My name is..." blurb wasn't meant as a display of ability, but just as a cool way to introduce the guests. We picked a language and just did it. There was footage of us speaking other languages, especially when we naturally broke into various languages at the beginning of the meeting (and you can briefly hear Steve answer one of my questions in Japanese), but when you think of it, how would they have presented that footage? With subtitles? They took so little of it anyway, and it was so dense, that they must have opted against it.

As for filming it for ourselves, we were in a recording studio and didn't have that luxury.

On a personal level, it was a wonderful experience, even though little of it became public.

Edited by Arekkusu on 07 May 2012 at 3:42pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 51
08 May 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

On a personal level, it was a wonderful experience...

Yes, I imagine it must have been.   I echo others in wishing that more of the group discussion had been shown;
and/ or a more in-depth programme could be made as a follow-up.

A couple of nuts-and-bolts questions (for any of the participants): how long was the panel seated in that "tiered"
configuration? It looked somewhat uncomfortable for those in the back row, and very interviewer-oriented. And
how much of the session was "interview" style? - How much time did you folks have to have real discussions
/arguments amongst yourselves, rather than answering questions posed by the interviewer?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 31 of 51
08 May 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

On a personal level, it was a wonderful experience...

Yes, I imagine it must have been.   I echo others in wishing that more of the group discussion had been
shown;
and/ or a more in-depth programme could be made as a follow-up.

A couple of nuts-and-bolts questions (for any of the participants): how long was the panel seated in that
"tiered"
configuration? It looked somewhat uncomfortable for those in the back row, and very interviewer-oriented.
And
how much of the session was "interview" style? - How much time did you folks have to have real discussions
/arguments amongst yourselves, rather than answering questions posed by the interviewer?

We sat there for a good two hours, with a short break in the middle. We got to talk for perhaps 45 minutes or
so before it began (you can see use entering the studio and chatting), and I got to talk with Steve and Keith
during the taxi ride to and from the studio.

There was actually a fair bit of discussion between us, a lot more than the resulting footage would have you
believe, but the questions came indeed mostly from the host. Towards the end, I was asked to put a question
in French to the other participants and I asked whether they thought it odd that a lot of Canadians opt for
European French instead of Québec French. Apart from Steve, everyone seemed to think that Canadian
French should be better promoted and taught.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6656 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 32 of 51
08 May 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Apart from Steve, everyone seemed to think that Canadian
French should be better promoted and taught.

Naturally! :-) It's actually the version of French I would like to learn, but all the resources I've found are in European French.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version