49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 49
24 June 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
It seems the Japanese are just far more tolerant and polite.
They're just different. That's the whole point of this thread.
9 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5947 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 26 of 49
25 June 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 

With the exception of a certain polyglot, I think the Irish are quite indirect. In Irish culture, if you're offered something you generally refuse. The host will ask again, and the response is usually, "Well, if you insist" before accepting. The first time I was in Holland I learnt if you say no, they take is as no, and the offer is withdrawn. I ended up hungry as a result.

However, this changes when your having the 'craic'. A euphemism for the consumption of huge quantities of alchohol. The 'craic' can be invoked if you win a match, or lose it, and by any number of small celebrations. At this point, we become very direct, and words like 'eejit' are liberally sprinkled into the conversation.

3 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5651 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 49
25 June 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I do not know if is it due to my Asperger's or due the culture here in Singapore, but I
prefer the directness of Russian over the indirectness of Japanese or Koreans( which I
called "fake politeness") . If you want to say 'no", just say it! Don't let your listener
guess what you meant! The Japanese are well known for doing this and it irritates me a
lot. The Russian, on the other hand, will tell me exactly what they feel and what they
meant, so that I can response appropriately. I felt that this sort of conversation is
more constructive than those which emphasis "politeness", but led to communication
breakdown.
1 person has voted this message useful

naomi94
United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 4455 days ago

17 posts - 15 votes
Studies: Swedish, French

Message 28 of 49
26 June 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
I really like the idea of this blog posting.

I lived in France for about one year. Comparing them to Americans, they are not nearly
as direct. They have a round-about way of insulting people. Much like the British,
their insults are more clever than Americans.

As an incredibly direct person, who has no problem saying exactly what I think, it is
very difficult for me to measure up other countries.

From your posting, it looks like me and the Russians would get along very well.

I like the idea of this post. I think I am going to reproduce it in my blog sometime in
the future.
http://thepolyglotexperience.blogspot.c
om/

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 49
26 June 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
I find the directness of French, Spanish and Italian people quite refreshing compared
to English speakers who often beat around the bush. I wouldn't say they are any more or
less rude; rudeness and politeness is quite a different issue although I realise
there's overlap as a direct statement or question may seem rude. I find that if, say, a
French person wants to know something about you, even if it's fairly personal, they'll
just ask straight away, which can seem abrupt and direct but actually makes it easier
for you to share and connect with each other, whereas with Anglophones (Scottish,
English, American, whatever) I often get the feeling that they're avoiding asking
certain questions in the early stages of a relationship even though they're curious
which can make it harder to get beyond polite small-talk. Similarly, Europeans often
aren't afraid to say things about me that could seem negative, for example that I seem
strange or quiet or nervous or am not speaking clearly, which can hurt a bit at first
but are actually extremely helpful feedback regarding how I'm perceived by others and
how I can improve it.

For example, last week I was in France, the friend I was staying with, who is a living
example of this directness, said to me "the American girl earlier said that she had
difficulty with your accent; she didn't want me to tell you but I'm telling you
anyway". Typical - the English speaker avoids telling me something that would be very
helpful and useful to me out of fear that it might possibly offend me, then the French
speaker just tells me straight up anyway because he knows that it's something I should
know. Yes, I'm all for directness.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 30 of 49
26 June 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
When translated directly from one language to another a polite phrase can become
extremely rude. For example, Девушка! Вы не знаете, где...? is perfectly polite, while
Girl! Don't you know where...? is just an insult.
6 persons have voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 49
26 June 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I find it strange how different the Japanese and Chinese are when it comes to politeness.

The Chinese are the most direct people ever. They say what they think and the Chinese language has pretty much no inbuilt politeness structures. Everyone is addressed in the same blunt manner.

For people unfamilar with Chinese culture, when you first visit the Chinese can come across as downright ignorant and arrogant.

The Japanese are possibly the least direct people ever. They often don't say what they think, and leave it to the listener to work it out themselves. Likewise, the Japanese has about four different politness levels and one must be constantly assessing the status of who they are speaking to in order to choose the correct politeness level and not come across as either rude, or distant.

Consideirng the influence China has had on Japan over the centuries, I am suprised they have such hugely different attitudes towards politeness.
2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5651 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 32 of 49
26 June 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
When translated directly from one language to another a polite phrase can
become
extremely rude. For example, Девушка! Вы не знаете, где...? is perfectly polite, while
Girl! Don't you know where...? is just an insult.

I cam't imagine how a Japanese or Korean lady would react if I do it the "Russian"
style... (although I likes it)

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version