Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

At what level do you say you speak?

Tags: Fluency | Speaking
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: When do you claim to "speak" a language on this forum?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [3.00%]
5 [5.00%]
70 [70.00%]
22 [22.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

63 messages over 8 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4978 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 9 of 63
29 June 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I am a hipster, so I voted a1.
b1 is too mainstream.
The reason is simply, because such a level exists, if Cerf people decided on it, then I believe they must be right.
I would say that I am elementary at this stage, and at a2 basic.
Even a1 requires work.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 63
29 June 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, between B1 and B2, closer to B2.
When I evaluate myself as B2, that is. It's better if my skills are evaluated by online tests as C1 or C2 at that point.

There's a bit of a contradiction in that B1 is the max level for many challenges, but many people claim to speak a language already at B1.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 63
29 June 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I use B1 as the level at which I say I speak it. I do not speak it well, obviously, but both German and Italian
are languages where I can in principle say anything I want. I may not say it correctly, but the message gets
across. In the past it has however been evident that some have a A1 or A2 view on what it is not just to
speak a language, but even to be fluent in it. But then again, who am I to say that their interpretation is
wrong just because it is different from mine?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 63
29 June 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
They can say whatever they want, but imo they gotta respect the standards of this forum. "speaks" is when your level is higher than intermediate, whether it's basic, advanced or native-like fluency.
3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5332 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 63
30 June 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
They can say whatever they want, but imo they gotta respect the
standards of this forum. "speaks" is when your level is higher than intermediate,
whether it's basic, advanced or native-like fluency.

Here's "Basic Fluency", as defined by the forum software:

Quote:
Basic Fluency - you understand at least 80% of a regular newspaper in your
target language and can hold regular conversations about any topic, understanding what
people say and getting your point across.

80% comprehension of a newspaper is definitely well below B2, judging from the DELF
exams. The "understanding what people say and getting your point across" is a pretty
typical B1 skill (for familiar topics) or a B2 skill (for a wide range of general
topics). The hardest part of this definition is "any topic", which still gives me
headaches. I can discuss the European debt crisis, for example, but not World War II. I
just don't have any military vocabulary yet, and I'd have to say "a fight which uses
long holes in the ground for protecting soldiers" instead of "trench warfare" (une
guerre des tranchées
, as it turns out).

Honestly, looking at the official definition of "basic fluency" on HTLAL doesn't really
narrow things down all that much. It's somewhere in between B1 and C1, depending on how
you read it. I do agree that it pretty clearly rules out A2, though.

Edited by emk on 30 June 2012 at 12:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6709 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 63
30 June 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Somewhere around B1-B2. Guess why only Swedish and English are the languages I "speak" (according to my profile). I have got my message across in a handful of other languages, though.

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4438 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 15 of 63
30 June 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
For me it is B2. I can comprehend a solid amount of the written language and feel reasonably comfortable talking about "several topics", as vague as that term may be. Unless I feel that I'm at a B2 level, I usually don't say that I speak the language, but rather that I'm studying the language or "advancing" in it.

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4629 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 16 of 63
30 June 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
In my opinion it is only the native with whom your are communicating with at that
moment who can determine your level and they will adjust accordingly.

I don't think anyone should claim to speak a language at all if it is not at a level
almost on par with your native tongue.

However, it should be noted that I would agree with people identifying their
certification level in establishing their ability. At least then there is some
understanding on what they're able to accomplish with the language.

I'll use Moses as an example because he sells a product... If you watch his "leveling
up" videos he'll hear a seemingly Slavic accent and then try out some Russian. He'll
get going with, "Hi. Hello. How are you? Where are you from?" And then he fades off
because he can't do anymore.

Then he'll go into Mandarin and ask someone, "Hi. Hello. How are you? Where are you
from?" Then again after he's reached the limit of what chapter four in his Teach
Yourself book has to offer; he's done.

Or if you read his German posts - he really as no clue about the syntax (among other
things).

You may argue, "Well, as long as he gets his point across then he's speaking." ...and
that's where I'd disagree.

If I were to say, "I go store. Getted milc. No hunger more. Maked fun." Sure, I
understand what is meant to be conveyed, but this person shouldn't be claiming to speak
English.

So to summarize - unless your ability with the language is very close to your native
ability, or you have actual certification. You shouldn't be claiming to speak the
language.

But what's really the point in telling people you speak 'X' anyway?

Edited by Kyle Corrie on 30 June 2012 at 1:06am

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version