Joined 5189 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 33 of 119
31 August 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Fluent French Now
Article on the pronominal verb “se faire”, both as a reflexive and non-reflexive verb. Reflexive: Je me suis fait une salade. (I made myself a salad.) which for me at this point is at best something of hypothetical use only.

Colloquially se faire + type of food is often used to talk about going out to eat or ordering food. Like "se faire un chinois" would mean to go to a Chinese restaurant or to order in from one. "Et si on se faisait un chinois" would be a suggestion to eat Chinese.

Edited by sctroyenne on 31 August 2012 at 6:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4269 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 34 of 119
31 August 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I really like your thread. I am definitively showing it to my boyfriend; he is a Canadian from BC and he is learning French so I think he will relate. I find it quite interesting to read about my language in the eye of a foreign person learning it. For example, I had never given any thought to using future to express past events, except to the extend that history teachers say it is not proper but we do it anyway, but now that you have mentioned it, it is indeed completely absurd and thus quite amusing in my mind. Don't worry about it though, I am sure reading it, you would get from the context that the person is referring to the past and it is the proper use of the tense (so you should not use it in an essay) while still being too formal for spoken language so the occasion where you would need to use it are pretty rare if any.

To better understand "se faire" in colloquial non-reflexive use, may be you could try to replace it with "have" or "have oneself" and the infinitive when there is one by a participe passé in your sentence. I just made that up so I don't know if this would always work but let's try it with the FFN examples:
On s’est fait dire que tout était réglé. -> We had ourselves told that everything was settled. -> We were told that everything was settled.
Je me suis fait voler la voiture. -> I had my car stolen -> My car was stolen.
Il s’est fait mordre par un gros chien. -> He had himself bitten by a big dog -> He was bitten by a big dog.
Elle s’est fait demander son permis de conduire. -> She had herself asked her driver's licence -> She was asked for her driver’s licence.
On est allés au bureau pour se faire dire que le patron était sorti. -> to have ourselves told -> We went to the office only to be told that the boss was out.
Ils se sont fait manger pour les moustiques. -> have themselves eaten -> They were devoured by the mosquitoes.
La réaction ne s’est pas fait attendre. -> the answer did not make herself wait -> The response was swift.

So it worked with most except the last one. I don't know if this is any help or if it makes it worse. It works with other colloquial uses :
"Et si on se faisait un chinois ?" -> What about having chinese (implied food)? as pointed by sctroyenne (could also be a proposition to exert physical violence on a chinese person or have sex with said chinese person so keep context in mind :) )
"Je me suis fait sa soeur" -> "I had his sister (implied for sex purposes)"

Also it is probably important to mention that while "aller se faire voir" in the last example on FFN refer to show yourself ("go be seen"), it is also a slang expression to refer to having passive anal sex so I would not recommend you saying "va te faire voir" (chez les grecs).

Edited by Tsopivo on 31 August 2012 at 7:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5189 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 35 of 119
31 August 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:

Also it is probably important to mention that while "aller se faire voir" in the last example on FFN refer to show yourself ("go be seen"), it is also a slang expression to refer to having passive anal sex so I would not recommend you saying "va te faire voir" (chez les grecs).

Ah, so that's why "va te faire voir" is considered offensive. I just had it on my lists of expressions but it wasn't explained (it's easier to understand with "va te faire foutre"). Really great post, I love learning more about colloquial usage.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 36 of 119
05 September 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Merci sctroyenne et Tsopivo, très intéressant.

Tsopivo wrote:
Also it is probably important to mention …

Oui, c'est important! I can see I have a very long way to go yet ....

Edited by Spanky on 05 September 2012 at 10:48pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 37 of 119
05 September 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Disturbing sad news coming out of the Québec provincial election this evening - a
bathrobed lunatic with a gun injured one and killed another at a venue in Montréal where
the Parti Québecois had been celebrating their minority win.

Edited by Spanky on 05 September 2012 at 8:44am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 38 of 119
05 September 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Both Canadian and European aspects are of considerable interest for me, and I am interested in developing a facility with both, so this is very welcome information.

If you have any questions about Québec French, PM me if I miss the question here.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 39 of 119
07 September 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Merci Arekkusu. I am following your recent Québec French thread with interest.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5754 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 40 of 119
07 September 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I discovered today that although most of the fun applications have been intentionally disabled by the boss on my work Blickberry, I do have a timer which I have decided to use as a Doomsday Countdown Clock to Awesomeness. I will try using this as a motivating tool to get me studying a bit more than I have been (I love pushing buttons and racing the clock).

I have set it to count down from a 1000 hours for my use in tracking study time and active listening to French language media time. I hope to have run the DCCA down to 0 hours by December 31, 2013 (unlikely given my track record but who knows), and I further hope that this level of commitment will comfortably provide me with a comfortable comfort level in French.   

I picked 1000 hours somewhat arbitrarily - I note it is a goal reflected in the logs of a couple of others here whose logs I follow. Achieving 1000 hours over the remaining 479 days before 31/DEC/2013 means approximately 2.09 hours per day.

I do not doubt there is some value in having background passive French media in my surroundings, but I do not intend to count that unless there is an earnest, active effort to follow and understand the dialogue.

DCCA: 1000 hours to go, and counting....

Edited by Spanky on 07 September 2012 at 7:29pm

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version