1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 25 of 76
19 July 2012 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
kujichaguliaさん、こんにちは。
このフォーラムはよく文字化けが出ますが、 ちょっとあいさつしようと思ってました。
最初、いいな。。家族と一緒に魅了的な国に 住むのは楽しいですね。日本語のできない外 国人がたくさんいます。英語ができたら、日 本語を学ぶ必要はないんですが、そのまま豊 かな文化が殆ど気づけて楽しめませんね。そ の気持、良くわかりますよ。それに。。無理 矢理に日本語を勉強するって大変だと思いま す。さあ。。どうすればいいですね。日本に 引っ越す理由、覚えられますか。その時、日 本語が好きでしたか。それなら、日本語の良 いところはどこでしたか。きちんと考えると 、何とかもう一度勉強したくなるでしょう。
とりあえず、お互いに頑張りましょう :)

P.S.: Bet this forum's gonna rape the entry again. It hates Japanese even more than you.

atama   waruiさん、こんにちは。  いさつしてくれ� ��、ありがとうございました。
   あまり文字化けがないけど、変 な空白を入っ ちゃったね。
日本の引越した理由は。。。大学に入ってた 時、たくさん日本人の留学生に会って、友達 ができました。 その友達のうちに僕の恋の した女性もいました。一年後に彼女は日本に 帰国して、僕も卒業の一年の後に日本に引っ 越しました。ついて行っちゃった!
しかし、外国に住んでいるのは僕の夢だった から、うれしかったです。おもしろい経験が 多かったです。結局、僕の彼女と結婚して、 マンションを買って、新しい生活を始めまし た。この一、二年ぐらいだけがっかりしたん です。
はい、お互いに頑張りましょう!ファイトー !

P.S. Yes, this forum does hate Japanese.

Edited by kujichagulia on 19 July 2012 at 5:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 26 of 76
19 July 2012 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
Okay, A2/B1 isn't bad at all. It's good that you have a solid foundation in Japanese. Perhaps L & R really is the way to go?

Perhaps so, but I'm still confused about what L/R is. Do you look at the text while listening to it? So you just listen passively? How do you gain vocabulary and/or phrases from that?

ZombieKing wrote:
Seems like you've already gotten tons of good advice!

Yes, I am stunned by how quickly advice is coming in. I am very, very grateful for your input. Thank you all! With all the motivation I'm getting from reading your comments, I might need to change the title of this thread!
1 person has voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4324 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 27 of 76
19 July 2012 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
ZombieKing wrote:
Okay, A2/B1 isn't bad at all. It's good that you have a solid foundation in Japanese. Perhaps L & R really is the way to go?

Perhaps so, but I'm still confused about what L/R is. Do you look at the text while listening to it? So you just listen passively? How do you gain vocabulary and/or phrases from that?

ZombieKing wrote:
Seems like you've already gotten tons of good advice!

Yes, I am stunned by how quickly advice is coming in. I am very, very grateful for your input. Thank you all! With all the motivation I'm getting from reading your comments, I might need to change the title of this thread!

L & R stands for listening and reading.

There are three basic steps as far as I know. You need 3 things, an English book, the Japanese translation (or vice versa), and the Japanese audio book version.

1. Read the Japanese translation while listening to the Japanese audio (This helps you to learn to distinguish word boundaries and get used to the sound of the language. You could probably skip this step.)

2. Read the English version while listening to the Japanese audio (You're supposed to read the entire book at least 3 times this way.)

3. Read the Japanese translation while listening to the Japanese audio (At this point, you're supposed to be able to understand almost everything, or so they say.)

However because of the use of Kanji in Japanese, I'm not sure if this will be the exact same as doing L & R with Korean or German for example. But seeing as you already know some Kanji and have intermediate listening skills, I still say give it a try. It can't hurt!

Here is a post filled with pretty everything you need to know about L & R

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=21098&PN=1

Good luck!!!! ^_^

Edited by ZombieKing on 19 July 2012 at 6:51am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 28 of 76
19 July 2012 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, ZombieKing. I think that with Japanese books, I would need to spend some time on #1 in order to learn the words with new Kanji. But this definitely looks like it's worth trying!

I wonder if there are any audio files to go along with the reader I bought recently. (I cannot remember the title of it; I'll post it once I receive it in the mail.) It has parallel Japanese/English text, so it could be of some use for L&R.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4324 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 29 of 76
19 July 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Thank you very much, ZombieKing. I think that with Japanese books, I would need to spend some time on #1 in order to learn the words with new Kanji. But this definitely looks like it's worth trying!

I wonder if there are any audio files to go along with the reader I bought recently. (I cannot remember the title of it; I'll post it once I receive it in the mail.) It has parallel Japanese/English text, so it could be of some use for L&R.

On the topic of learning Kanji, I found an article the other day about the role of radicals in learning Kanji. Maybe this will be of use to you? I'm focusing on learning radicals myself right now for my Chinese studies :)

http://www.tofugu.com/2010/03/25/the-5-biggest-mistakes-peop le-make-when-learning-kanji/

For your first venture into L & R, I'd recommend something geared towards youth. I'm not sure if Harry Potter is translated into Japanese, but something like that would be ideal I think.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 30 of 76
19 July 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Oh, Harry Potter is BIG over here. Those books are easily available in Japanese, although I'm not a Harry Potter fan even in English. Never watched the movies or anything. How-e-vuh... if it helps my Japanese, why not?

It's funny you brought up that link. I was contemplating the other day about how kanji are really a bunch of other easier kanji and/or radicals put together. I currently learn my kanji separately from my vocabulary. I have a Japanese vocabulary deck and a Kanji deck which shows me the reading and I write the appropriate kanji. That works wonders. However, I wonder if I have enough kanji under my belt to just learn the kanji along with the vocabulary.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 31 of 76
19 July 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
THE HALF SUPER CHALLENGE!

Well, I did it. 登録しちゃった! I signed up for the Half Super Challenge, put forth by one Mrs. Solfrid Cristin. That means I will read 50 books and watch 50 films by the end of December 2013. (I guess I need to dust off my Twitter account.)

I won't watch films per se, but I will sit down with my wife when she's watching her Japanese dramas. She watches about five a week, so even though without the commercials an episode comes in at less than 45 minutes, I'm sure I could sit through 100 of them by December next year, even with the late start.

The 50 books will definitely be more challenging. I've read news articles and the like on the Internet, and I've read passages in my textbooks, but I've never read a book purely in Japanese, and I have no idea where to start. Luckily, there's a library in my workplace: a high school! And summer vacation is about to start for my students, so I should have some time to peruse the aisles and see if there is anything suitable for me to tackle. Of course, I can reread the same books, so that helps.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 32 of 76
19 July 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
By the way, does anybody know how I can add tags to this thread? I cannot figure it out.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version