kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 49 of 76
21 July 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
OK, I'm doing something very bold here. I'm switching back to Anki, more specifically 2.0. I like what I see in that beta software. I'll use the software on my PC, sync it up to AnkiWeb, and do reviews in the browser at work.

Of course, it comes with a sacrifice. I won't be able to use it on any computer at work like I could with Mnemosyne on my USB drive. I can do AnkiWeb on the work PCs with internet access, but if all of them are being used (which happens from time to time), there's the possibility that I will miss a day of reviews.

Another sacrifice is that, because Mnemosyne 2.0 does not have export, and because Anki has a bug when trying to import from a Mnemosyne 2.0 database, I've had to give up all cards made in the last month. Oh well. If I need the words, I'm sure they will come up again in the future.

Edited by kujichagulia on 21 July 2012 at 2:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4498 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 50 of 76
21 July 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Don't make a mistake, you're at a solid B1+ written.
For vocab, I'd recommend memrise instead of ANKI, but then again, I hate ANKI with a passion. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 51 of 76
22 July 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Don't make a mistake, you're at a solid B1+ written.
For vocab, I'd recommend memrise instead of ANKI, but then again, I hate ANKI with a passion. ;)

Memrise! I forgot about that!
Despite that last post I wrote, I'm still debating in my head whether to use Anki or Mnemosyne.
But maybe Memrise is the way to go.

Edited by kujichagulia on 22 July 2012 at 11:29am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 52 of 76
22 July 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
KUJI'S WEEK IN REVIEW: 15-21 July 2012

JAPANESE

This past week I...
*did one self-talk - the one I posted about before. I wanted to do another one, but I'm still wondering about the best way for me to do it.
*started reading おじいさんの大切な一日. I read the first chapter, about 5 pages, but with all of the words I had to look up and learn, that was enough for me.
*watched a few different dramas: one called Hatsukoi (feat. Kimura Yoshino), one called Kuro no Onna Kyoshi (feat. Eikura Nana), and one I can't remember the name of. I also watched Desperate Housewives with Japanese subtitles, but I hardly paid attention to the subtitles, so that's not going to count for my Half Super Challenge.
*listened to some JapanesePod101 podcasts. Luckily they've lately been releasing a lot of Upper Beginner and Lower Intermediate podcasts, so I have a lot of material to listen to on the train the next few weeks.
*wrote two one-page diary entries in my notebook
*unfortunately didn't do any textbook grammar/kanji exercises.

ESPERANTO

This past week I...
*did two lessons from the Ana Pana course in the Libera Esperanto-Libro, a book put together by the people behind Lernu.net. (You can get it for free here. )
*listened to a variety of Esperanto podcasts, including the 3ZZZ Esperanto show out of Australia, Pola Retradio, and Muzaiko.info. I also listened to the Muzaiko.info radio station. Don't understand 95% of what I hear, but it's cool just listening to the sound of Esperanto.
*listened to a lot of a free Esperanto hip-hop album called Hiphopa Kompilo Vol. 1. You can find the link to the mp3s here. Much of it is hit or miss, but I love two songs in particular: Platano's "Mi ne havas amikon" and Tone's "Verva Virino". Two of the best rap songs I've heard all year.

EDIT: Oh, and of course everyday I regularly did my Mnemosyne reviews for both languages.

Edited by kujichagulia on 22 July 2012 at 12:17pm

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4324 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 53 of 76
23 July 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
KUJI'S WEEK IN REVIEW: 15-21 July 2012

JAPANESE

This past week I...
*did one self-talk - the one I posted about before. I wanted to do another one, but I'm still wondering about the best way for me to do it.
*started reading おじいさんの大切な一日. I read the first chapter, about 5 pages, but with all of the words I had to look up and learn, that was enough for me.
*watched a few different dramas: one called Hatsukoi (feat. Kimura Yoshino), one called Kuro no Onna Kyoshi (feat. Eikura Nana), and one I can't remember the name of. I also watched Desperate Housewives with Japanese subtitles, but I hardly paid attention to the subtitles, so that's not going to count for my Half Super Challenge.
*listened to some JapanesePod101 podcasts. Luckily they've lately been releasing a lot of Upper Beginner and Lower Intermediate podcasts, so I have a lot of material to listen to on the train the next few weeks.
*wrote two one-page diary entries in my notebook
*unfortunately didn't do any textbook grammar/kanji exercises.

ESPERANTO

This past week I...
*did two lessons from the Ana Pana course in the Libera Esperanto-Libro, a book put together by the people behind Lernu.net. (You can get it for free here. )
*listened to a variety of Esperanto podcasts, including the 3ZZZ Esperanto show out of Australia, Pola Retradio, and Muzaiko.info. I also listened to the Muzaiko.info radio station. Don't understand 95% of what I hear, but it's cool just listening to the sound of Esperanto.
*listened to a lot of a free Esperanto hip-hop album called Hiphopa Kompilo Vol. 1. You can find the link to the mp3s here. Much of it is hit or miss, but I love two songs in particular: Platano's "Mi ne havas amikon" and Tone's "Verva Virino". Two of the best rap songs I've heard all year.

EDIT: Oh, and of course everyday I regularly did my Mnemosyne reviews for both languages.

Congratulations on keeping at your goals for a week already! ^_^ Keep up the good work :D

How is your comprehension of those podcasts?
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 54 of 76
23 July 2012 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
Congratulations on keeping at your goals for a week already! ^_^ Keep up the good work :D

Thank you for the congratulations. :)

My comprehension of the Japanese podcast dialogs is not so good at first listen... I'd say about 40% at first. The Lower Intermediate dialogs go at normal speaking speed. Of course, after I listen to the vocabulary and grammar explanations, I can understand much more the second time around.

On the other hand, the Upper Beginner JP101 podcasts are quite easy. I get maybe 95% comprehension the first time around.

As for the Esperanto podcasts.... don't ask. Unlike the JP101 podcasts, those were meant for advanced speakers.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 55 of 76
23 July 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Some random notes...

At lunchtime today, I re-read the first chapter of おじいさんの大切な一日 (which actually has 4 pages of words, not 5) and looked up the rest of the vocabulary that I didn't know. Rough estimate of the total: 60 stinkin' words/terms. In 4 pages?!? Man, I have a loooooooong way to go. That's demotivation, homes. But I keep telling myself that, as I tread along this path, the going will get easier. The more words I have to look up and learn, the less words I need to look up in the future.

Also, after testing Anki 2.0 and Memrise over the weekend, I've decided to stick with Mnemosyne. The new Anki is just too complex for me (I guess I'm not as tech-savvy as I thought), and AnkiWeb gives me fits. I can't even save the cards that I add, among other things! Memrise seems cool, but doesn't seem flexible enough for my needs. Mnemosyne 2.0 does what I want it to do, and it's simple. I wish I could instantly record audio and have it automatically inserted into, and saved with, my flash cards, instead of having to do editing in something like Audacity, but I seem to be doing fine without audio anyway.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4324 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 56 of 76
23 July 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
ZombieKing wrote:

Thank you for the congratulations. :)

My comprehension of the Japanese podcast dialogs is not so good at first listen... I'd say about 40% at first. The Lower Intermediate dialogs go at normal speaking speed. Of course, after I listen to the vocabulary and grammar explanations, I can understand much more the second time around.

On the other hand, the Upper Beginner JP101 podcasts are quite easy. I get maybe 95% comprehension the first time around.

As for the Esperanto podcasts.... don't ask. Unlike the JP101 podcasts, those were meant for advanced speakers.

That is great to hear! So I guess you first listen to the podcast, and then read the notes and listen again? That's what I do with assimil. If you keep working at it, I'm sure you'll reach your goals. 40% comprehension rate on first listen is better than many other intermediate learners can boast :) *thumbs up*

I'm guessing there aren't any beginner Esperanto podcasts? Too bad there's no assimil for Esperanto :P

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version