Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 57 of 76
23 July 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
That is great to hear! So I guess you first listen to the podcast, and then read the notes and listen again? That's what I do with assimil. If you keep working at it, I'm sure you'll reach your goals. 40% comprehension rate on first listen is better than many other intermediate learners can boast :) *thumbs up*

I'm guessing there aren't any beginner Esperanto podcasts? Too bad there's no assimil for Esperanto :P

Ah, but there is! At least I think so... or maybe it's like Pimsleur... I don't know. I haven't done either program. Anyway, there's something at Lernu.net called Mi estas komencanto. It's a course that you can do online, but they have an audio version for download that you can listen to without looking at the text. It's probably a mid- or upper-beginner course, so I'm not using it yet, but I did the first two lessons and it seems effective.

For the Ana Pana text I'm doing right now, there are mp3s of the dialogs available at ikso.net/en/libera along with the text itself. I use those for listening practice on the train... just not last week. :) I'll get back on track this week.

It's amazing what's available for Esperanto for free. I wish a lot of other languages had such good, free material.

EDIT: Oops, didn't answer your first question. The JP101 podcasts play the dialog, then the hosts teach you important vocab and grammar points. After that, I just press the back button on my iPod and listen to the dialog again. If there are any vocab/grammar points that I really want to know, I write them down for SRSing later.

Edited by kujichagulia on 23 July 2012 at 7:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 58 of 76
23 July 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
My goodness. Just when I think that I've settled this whole words-or-sentences thing, I went ahead and read atama warui's log. The praise he has for Memrise is tempting me to death! Memrise is not designed for sentences, though, so I would have to do it with vocabulary.

Woe is me!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 59 of 76
23 July 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
My reader finally came in the mail today. It's called Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text by Giles Murray, the author of 13 Secrets for Speaking Fluent Japanese. It's a collection of seven short stories: four by Natsume Souseki and three by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, including the classic "Rashoumon".

The book looks pretty awesome. You have your Japanese text on the left page and your English text on the right. Every single kanji and kanji compound that appears on every page, not to mention some hiragana words, is listed at the bottom, footnote-style, with readings and English definitions. In addition, the mp3s for the stories are available free of charge from the book's website! My first thought is, Wow, this is perfect for L/R. And you don't need a dictionary in front of you, either.

The problem: this is waaay above my level, perhaps B2 or C1.

I guess this will be a great book to read... next year... after the Half Super Challenge is over.

Even with all the definitions listed, I fear I will have to look at the bottom to find the meanings of every other word. I'm already doing that with Ojisan no Taisetsu na Ichinichi, a kid's book.

Oh well. I can put it above my desk for inspiration, something to work towards.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4324 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 60 of 76
25 July 2012 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
My reader finally came in the mail today. It's called Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text by Giles Murray, the author of 13 Secrets for Speaking Fluent Japanese. It's a collection of seven short stories: four by Natsume Souseki and three by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, including the classic "Rashoumon".

The book looks pretty awesome. You have your Japanese text on the left page and your English text on the right. Every single kanji and kanji compound that appears on every page, not to mention some hiragana words, is listed at the bottom, footnote-style, with readings and English definitions. In addition, the mp3s for the stories are available free of charge from the book's website! My first thought is, Wow, this is perfect for L/R. And you don't need a dictionary in front of you, either.

The problem: this is waaay above my level, perhaps B2 or C1.

I guess this will be a great book to read... next year... after the Half Super Challenge is over.

Even with all the definitions listed, I fear I will have to look at the bottom to find the meanings of every other word. I'm already doing that with Ojisan no Taisetsu na Ichinichi, a kid's book.

Oh well. I can put it above my desk for inspiration, something to work towards.

Perhaps something like this would work for you?

http://english.franklang.ru/index.php?option=com_content&vie w=article&id=5:japanese-folk-tales&catid=2:2011-04-22-11-56- 02&Itemid=7

I found out about this website through a French log actually haha. Seems legit... :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 61 of 76
26 July 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
@ZombieKing - looks nice, but it's strange how the English is mixed in with the Japanese. I'll give it a try, though. I actually read Momotarou in English once.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 62 of 76
26 July 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
(JP) - ごめんね、みなさん。週末以外、インターネ ットは忙しいから家にあまり使わなくて、た いてい仕事の所で使うけど、今週ネットのパ ソコンは取って代わられて、全然使えない。

前にみなさんに言った本の「おじいさんの大 切な一日」は、知らない言葉が多いので、辞 めた。その代わりにもっと簡単な本を読むつ もりです。

(EN) - Sorry, everyone. Except for the weekend, I'm usually can't surf the Internet at home, so I do most of my Internet stuff at work during free time. But this week they are ripping out the fiber optics and replacing the computers with more modern ones, so no Internet. That is why I haven't been able to update.

Only one major development, though. The children's book I told you about before, "Grandfather's Important Day"... I quit reading it. There were just too many words that I didn't know. After looking up nearly 100 words in 14 pages, it was becoming too much of a chore. Either (1)I need to choose a different reading strategy, e.g. looking up only the words I need to know to get the gist of a sentence, or (2) read something easier. For now, I chose (2). I'm dropping from first-year elementary to something more "youchien" (kindergarten). Ugh.

The school librarian was shocked when I told her that book was too difficult. She said I spoke Japanese like I knew enough to read that book. She confirmed something I suspected: that my grammar is pretty solid, but my vocabulary is lagging. I should probably put all of my efforts into learning vocabulary for the time being.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4498 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 63 of 76
26 July 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I realized I had the same problem at the end of last year and decided to do hardcore vocab learning this year. I really did, and pretty hardcore, which led to a bit of a burnout, but only regarding vocab. My brain simply rejected new words after being fed so many in such a short time.
However, it's an up and down, just keep at it and you'll eventually get there. If you feel like needing a break, watch some anime or dorama instead, or chat. You'll pick up stuff on the way, too, just slower and probably not that stable. But when you then return to flashcards and re-encounter the words, they'll be much easier to learn.

Be sure to not go too fast when using SRS, as the reviews will kill you. I just ignored every word I didn't need memrise for to not get buried under tons of reviews.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 64 of 76
27 July 2012 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
I realized I had the same problem at the end of last year and decided to do hardcore vocab learning this year. I really did, and pretty hardcore, which led to a bit of a burnout, but only regarding vocab. My brain simply rejected new words after being fed so many in such a short time.
However, it's an up and down, just keep at it and you'll eventually get there. If you feel like needing a break, watch some anime or dorama instead, or chat. You'll pick up stuff on the way, too, just slower and probably not that stable. But when you then return to flashcards and re-encounter the words, they'll be much easier to learn.

Be sure to not go too fast when using SRS, as the reviews will kill you. I just ignored every word I didn't need memrise for to not get buried under tons of reviews.

Thanks for the tip. I'm always worrying about burnout, because it comes easily for me. Before today, my mindset was to capture and SRS any words that I came across. Now, I think I need to filter. I need to just concentrate on the words that I think could be useful to me right now.

As for memrise... Internet is up and running again at my workplace, so maybe I can give it a try. That's the problem with memrise: no Internet, no use. (That made me think of a Bob Marley song. "Little darlin', don't shed no tears... No Internet, no use....")

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version