atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4497 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 73 of 76
17 August 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
How does ANKI 2.0 work for you? I wonder if all the old plugins are still okay.
I'm still happy with memrise (and I put a lot of work into that, too), but if ANKI 2 is really good, I may just download all my lists and import them there. Offline is offline, and what you have is yours - that's not necessarily the case with websites who can go offline or commercial tomorrow - taking all your hard work with them.

As for side projects.. well, I don't have them, but I could imagine doing sports instead of another language, too.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4643 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 74 of 76
19 August 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
@atama warui - So far Anki 2.0 is working well. The old plugins do not work; they have to be rewritten. Luckily most of the useful ones, like Japanese Support, have been.

The GoogleTTS plugin has been a nice discovery. I can generate audio for the words or sentences in my cards in Japanese, Portuguese, or many other languages. The computer-generated audio is not perfect (intonation can sometimes be wrong), but it is surprisingly good enough for listening practice.

My problem is that it seems to be more difficult to set up the format of the cards the way you want it, compared with Anki 1.x. You have to study the new user manual a few times to really get the gist of how to customize cards, and even then you seem to get good at it only through trial-and-error.
2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4497 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 75 of 76
19 August 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
I downloaded it to see how it was.

You know, with Rikaisama plugin for Firefox and real-time-import plugin for ANKI, you can add words to your deck on the fly with one key press, and with Audio Download plugin for ANKI, you can download all the sound files JapanesePOD101 made for WWWJDIC.

Both options were not available for the new ANKI, but while trying it out, I thought... what gives, let's go back to ANKI 1.x and tweak it.

With Quizlet to initially learn vocab, it's not bad. Plus, your data is yours, you can edit it to your liking, and if you wish to learn some rare Kanji, there's nothing to stop you.. this is something you couldn't do at memrise. Thus, I ended up using ANKI 1.x again.

Million flies can't be mistaken ... shit tastes great. (>.<
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4643 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 76 of 76
19 August 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I forgot about the Rikaisama plugin. Hopefully they make a 2.0 version of that.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version