United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 89 of 129
16 August 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
I'm just passing on the post! None of my Assimil books go into detail like this. I think my Using French
recommended about five rounds of L/R, not ten. I'll check.

But I read it as hitting pause after each sentence, not trying to rewind it!

For French, this method took about 20.". The Spanish lessons always took longer.

But I think we should take this as a guide, not a hard rule. Adapt it, but keep to the general idea.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 90 of 129
16 August 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Oops. This sounds like it is more adapted to an old fashioned
cassette player than to an iPod. Repeating
individual lessons is tough enough. Repeating individual sentences, I do not even know
how to do on a CD
player.

Are you sure that the method does not entail actually doing the exercises and learning
the vocabulary in the
passive wave?

You really gave me food for thought here.

And is it feasible to do all this in 30 minutes?

Most SuperPacks nowadays come with an mp3 CD, which has the dialogues recorded in full
as well as in individual sentence snippets. I use that.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4468 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 91 of 129
16 August 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If this helps, I know at least one success story with Assimil Polish :-) I don't think ANYONE ever claimed to have reached B2 solely by using Assimil, though.

I'm going to do this course myself as well, even if my level is kinda too good for it.

Do you have more to say about this success story? I've also heard this Polish method was very good, but in terms of content I find it a bit light... revision lessons take me 5 minutes (and clearly can't do more than that). Perhaps it's because I've done Michel Thomas before, and the early content (reached lesson 17 only) has to be easy to introduce cases and getting the learner used to the pronunciation/spelling.

And surely I don't hope to get a B2 with that book, but I can imagine myself speaking much better Norwegian or Indonesian at the end of the book than Polish... admittedly Polish is supposed to be much more difficult for a French speaker.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5672 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 92 of 129
16 August 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
My way (only slightly different from that of languagegeek described by kanewai):

Passive phase
1) Listen twice with book closed.
2) Listen once while reading TL.
3) Listen once while reading French/English/... (whatever you have and understand well).
4) Study the TL text, the notes and the translation until complete understanding.
5) Listen again while reading TL.
6) Listen again with book closed.
7) Do the exercises.
8) Read again texts and notes from lessons about which you are not very confident.
9) Listen to the lesson again and try to repeat each sentence aloud (I don't stop the recording after each one). Repeat this step if desired and time allowing.
10) Repeat listening to (at most) the last 10 lessons during commute/whatever trying to repeat sentences aloud as in point 9.
11) (new for this experiment) Listen again the lesson of the day just before going to sleep.

Active phase (to be done before the passive phase lesson of the day, if there still is one).
1) Read text in your known language.
2) Translate it to TL, without the use of dictionary and grammar books.
3) Listen to the lesson while reading your translation.
4) Compare texts. At this point, dictionaries are welcome.
5) Study the related grammar topics which you still don't fully understand. An extra grammar book is welcome.
6) Repeat listening also to the lessons already translated during commute/waiting lines/etc.

In the "Perfectionemment Allemand" each lesson in the passive phase took me about an hour, but I did them very slowly, studied extra grammar topics related to the lesson, sometimes repeated point 7 many times etc.

Anyway, I'm sure that the "sans peine" course will be much faster. Maybe in the active phase, while still doing passive phase longer texts, one hour could be necessary.

During this experiment, after the end of the passive phase lessons, I'll add some extra activities while completing the active phase lessons:

1) Try to read at least a different text in TL on Wikipedia everyday.
2) Listen to news and music in TL.
3) Read news from RSS feeds.

Edited by Flarioca on 16 August 2012 at 3:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Slothrop
American Samoa
Joined 4567 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Italian

Message 93 of 129
16 August 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Some people mentioned the case of languages with non-Latin alphabets. I agree with
ZombieKing: in these cases, learning the script before the start of the experiment should
be allowed.

Anyway, I'll almost certainly be doing Russian, and I've already gone through
this tutorial two or three times by now
to get familiar with the Cyrillic alphabet. I hope it's not decided otherwise, so I won't
be breaking the rules before the experiment even begins. :D

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 94 of 129
16 August 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I'm just passing on the post! None of my Assimil books go into detail like this. I think my Using French
recommended about five rounds of L/R, not ten. I'll check.

For French, this method took about 20.". The Spanish lessons always took longer.

But I think we should take this as a guide, not a hard rule. Adapt it, but keep to the general idea.

It is the opposite for me. The French lessons take 3-4 times longer than the Spanish lessons (in the Advanced books). But I assume that has to do with you having more exposure to French and me having more exposure to Spanish. :-)

Flarioca wrote:
In the "Perfectionemment Allemand" each lesson in the passive phase took me about an hour, but I did them very slowly, studied extra grammar topics related to the lesson, sometimes repeated point 7 many times etc.

The Spanish and French are the same. Many of the dialogs are 2-3 minutes long, and when I copy them in my spiral notebook, they are 3-4 pages long. They are very heavy on the grammar, introduce a lot of vocabulary, and are very intensive. The Spanish is easier (for me), but I spend at least an hour on each lesson, and frequently feel like this is not as much as I need. I could easily spend 2-3 hours on one of the French lessons. Even listening to the previous 2-3 dialogs every day (so I'm seeing them 3-4 days in a row), I am still missing stuff.

EDIT: I'm doing lesson 39 today for Spanish, and the dialog alone is four whole minutes long. There is no way that takes half hour or less, unless you are already familiar with the material.

Flarioca wrote:
Anyway, I'm sure that the "sans peine" course will be much faster.

Probably. But I've had varying experiences with different courses, too. Once you get past the first 15-20 lessons, anything that is out of your comfort zone (Indo-European languages, for many of us), I don't think 30 minutes a day is going to be enough. Especially once you start the active wave.

EDIT: Added response to Kanewai, plus Spanish lesson info.

Edited by Kerrie on 17 August 2012 at 2:47am

Kugel
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 95 of 129
17 August 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Anyone going to try using Assmil while not understanding the instructional language? That is, trying to learn the language by only using the target language?

It would be interesting to see this type of experiment play out. I'm probably wrong, but I think the forum member, Laoshu, does this.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4812 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 96 of 129
17 August 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
Anyone going to try using Assmil while not understanding the
instructional language? That is, trying to learn the language by only using the target
language?

It would be interesting to see this type of experiment play out. I'm probably wrong,
but I think the forum member, Laoshu, does this.

That doesn't sound right- do you have a link to that information?

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version