129 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 16 17 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 65 of 129
14 August 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
You have to speak French or German for those, though, as Assimil doesn't have an English-
base for those... unless you have found a Spanish or Italian base??
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 66 of 129
14 August 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
Serpent wrote:
kanewai wrote:
2) To use Assimil 'as directed.'
With a lot of people participating, why not allow various methods? The way I see it we'll be testing the Assimil courses, not the suggested method.
(I have no preferences myself here...)

I agree with Serpent. Some people might get farther than they would if they had studied in exactly the way assimil recommends, so finding out how they do it and how much better they do compared to other methods of using Assimil will be very helpful.

I'd like to see people follow the basic Assimil method - using L/R for the lessons, and doing a passive wave, and starting the active wave at lesson 50.

There's still a lot of room for variation within that. Some people write down the lessons, some set a higher bar for completing the exercises, some add shadowing, some do more or less of the L/R rounds. That's all good; it's still the Assimil method.

I see other variations where people only do an active wave, or do seven lessons at a time, or don't use the audio, or start the active wave at lesson 7, or do each lesson three times. And that's fine if it works for you, but it's not 'Assimil,' and doesn't really help with the idea of us all comparing notes on the method.

It reminds me of recipe reviews I see on epicurious - there are people who change the ingredients, and the amounts, and even the cooking method - and then critique the recipe. They're already talking about something different, yeah?

For Anki --- I don't know. I definitely suspect that people will need outside help for a lot of non-Latin scripts. I tried mixing Anki with Assimil once, but found that it took me more time to make the Anki deck and use it than to actually do the lessons. So it didn't work for me at all, but I don't think that should stop anyone from trying.

For holding off to the Spring ... put up a post then and see if there are people out there!   There might be less people, but you'll be able to learn from us what worked and what didn't with the Experiment, and modify it to make it better.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 67 of 129
14 August 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I'm still uncertain, but it'll probably be either Swedish or Norwegian.

Did I hear Norwegian :-)

I was thinking about that. If we're sticking to not using other resources, then that cuts down my possibilities. I will be using Assimil for Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish, but will likely be using other materials as well. For Polish, Dutch, and Greek, I will definitely be using the Michel Thomas courses in addition to Assimil.

So that leaves Catalan, Swedish, Swahili, or Czech. Hrm. Spanish base or French base? Maybe I will do all of them.

Is Norwegian or Swedish easier for native English speakers? Norwegian has always scared me, because they have two languages, and I don't know which I would be learning and what books teach what. I would think about Norwegian as an option, but my brain is still trying to figure out German. Maybe by October or November, my brain won't be so confused anymore. :-)

[Plus, in 21 days, my children go back to school. And my life will be so much more predictable. And I will be able to find time to get my language stuff done again!]

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5772 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 68 of 129
14 August 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I think the idea of using Anki with this kind of Assimil experiment would be kind of missing the point. One of the apparent strengths of the method is the way that material is put together to ensure spaced repetition of vocabulary if you do one lesson a day. I think that to add Anki to the method would be overworking it.

For non-Latin scripts, I am only in a position to give some comment on Japanese with Ease. I think that if you followed the method faithfully, you should have a good knowledge of kana by the end of it, but not kanji. On the one hand I wouldn't necessarily object to people putting in supplementary study, because kanji are so important for the Japanese language. On the other hand, proper study of kanji cannot be done without study of vocabulary, which could broaden your studies quite significantly beyond the scope of the experiment.

But ultimately, I don't really care too much about what other people do with the method, so long as they report their activities honestly as part of the experiment.

Edited by g-bod on 14 August 2012 at 10:38pm

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4317 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 69 of 129
14 August 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Okay, you guys have a point. I'll stick to using the recommended method in assimil. Too bad my German isn't good enough otherwise I'd love to try Norwegian!

vermillon wrote:
dbag wrote:

after reading of Fanatics experiences with "German without Toil".

Could you provide some link to what you're talking about? I don't think I've read about that before...

dbag wrote:

Maybe it would be best if people chose a language that they are not necessarily
interested in pursuing much further than the length of an Assimil course?

That's what I'm doing. I'm not waiting until November and have started my own Assimil experiment at the end of July. My languages are:
-Egyptian Hieroglyphs
-Latin
-Norwegian
-Polish
-Swahili
-Indonesian

I've started them with 1 day offset (so that Egyptian is advanced of 1 lesson more than Latin, etc) and am at lesson 19 for Hieroglyphs / 14 for Indonesian. All of these are languages I felt attracted to but had no plan to study seriously. Perhaps by the time I finish them (around Christmas) I'll want to continue with some/all of them.

I'm considering starting a log about it, where I plan to compare the different languages. I can already see the vast differences in difficulty of the languages, quality of the method both depending on language and generation (old/new). The OP seems to suggest we need to wait until November to start posting (but as it's not a challenge, there are no rules to be enforced). If people are interested in an early log, let me know.

Please do make a log for that! What you're doing sounds fascinating and I wish you much luck :D

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 70 of 129
14 August 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Is Norwegian or Swedish easier for native English speakers? Norwegian has always scared
me, because they have two languages, and I don't know which I would be learning and
what books teach what. I would think about Norwegian as an option, but my brain is
still trying to figure out German. Maybe by October or November, my brain won't be so
confused anymore. :-)

They're about the same difficulty. Both have the tonal thing going on, both use
postclitic definite articles, they share a similar amount of Germanic vocabulary and a
bunch of Romance loans, they're both quite similar in terms of pronunciation and they
both have noun gender.

Either will suit you in any case. If you speak German or Dutch you get another huge leg
up.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 71 of 129
14 August 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Either will suit you in any case. If you speak German or Dutch you get another huge leg
up.

Haha. I am about halfway through German with Ease, and at the rate I feel like I'm going, I will probably never be able to say I speak it!

As for Dutch, it has always been an interest, and I've looked at Assimil a few times, but never gotten more than a few lessons in - too many other languages take priority right now. I have heard it spoken, though, and it's much easier for me to understand, possibly because my grandparents spoke it.

Edited by Kerrie on 14 August 2012 at 11:42pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 72 of 129
15 August 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, I'll be doing Norwegian as well :) and Catalan.
Oh, so adding shadowing/scriptorium is okay? Seems good:-)

I'll be informally doing Polish and Romanian where I'm about intermediate... And perfecting Italian and maybe Spanish.

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version