Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4867 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 17 of 129
21 July 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Ooh, I am definitely interested... I was trying to justify starting Russian, after
all ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 129
21 July 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
One thing - I think it's a good idea not to allow to sign up for 6WC with the same language. The whole idea of Assimil is learning a lot while NOT doing an insane amount of work. Although I don't think a max limit of time is a good idea, a 6WC will certainly make most people study waaay too much for the purpose of this challenge;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5931 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 19 of 129
22 July 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Definitely interested, depending on the timing. I suddenly have all sorts of Assimil-related fantasies involving the likes of Romanian, Hungarian, Persian, and Swahili running through my mind. Would it be a problem that I've studied the language in the past?

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5050 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 20 of 129
22 July 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
An Assimil Challenge seems like a great idea. As I wrote elsewhere I am planning on learning several languages with Assimil anyway, and I could put one language on hold for now exclusively for the Challenge. Which in terms of managing my time is very welcome.

Turkish would be ideal for this. I have zero knowledge in it, and so far Assimil put out only one major single-volume course, so it could be completed in half a year, or a full year at most.

I'm in!

seldnar
United States
Joined 6921 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 21 of 129
22 July 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Great timing: I just ordered Le Tamoul sans peine Although, it'll be awfully hard
to wait until November.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 22 of 129
23 July 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Hmm. If I have time in November, I will surely join. My Swedish applies to the
conditions. So does my Italian. But since both are close to languages I am already
learning (and that might spoil the experiment), I might listen to the Mephistopheles-
Chung and try Finnish :-D

(Or something else, my hit list is long enough)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 129
24 July 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
I'm definitely in.

I've already finished their basic Spanish and French courses. I'm working on the Advanced Using Spanish and French courses now, plus the German and Italian with Ease courses.

I will either be starting Portuguese or re-starting Croatian for the August 6WC (and using other materials as well).

As long as we're not starting before September or October, I'm in for a new language. I will be starting Russian and Turkish once I've finished at least one or two of the above (Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese).

I might opt for an easy language - Catalan or Dutch. I would also like eventually to do Swedish, Greek, Polish, Japanese, and Czech, so those are also possibilities. If there are a bunch of people doing the same language, I might do that language, just for fun. A lot will depend on where I am with my other Assimil courses and with my Super Challenges.

Are we going to be limited to using only Assimil for this challenge? I know for me, I like to use other sources as well, especially for non-Romance languages. If we are limited to just Assimil, I would probably pick one of my lower priority languages. :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 129
24 July 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I like the thought of not using a more traditional language course at the same time. Assimilating the language from native materials would be fine, though:) There can't ever be an equality in which languages we're exposed to, and that's natural.

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version