Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 26
06 October 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
One thing that frustrates me in using a method written for English speakers is the way
they introduce phonetics! Even many good methods, such as the New Penguin Russian
course suffers from this problem. Why don’t the methods provide IPA symbols (like in
German and French methods) or show pictures that indicate how the tongue, mouth and
lips be placed correctly (in Chinese methods)? Instead, they introduce this like “a as
in father”, “a as in about”, “o as in law” which not only confuses , but also not
correct since different English speakers may pronounce the  English sound differently.

The only time when I see the IPA used by an English publisher is in books that teach
English as a foreign language. Does the publishers implies that non-English speakers
can learn IPA and English speakers are too stupid to learn IPA and have to learn
phonetics though “modified standard English”. I really do not get the logic as English
is am un-phonetic language. Without the IPA, users may end up pronouncing wrongly in
their target languages and it will be difficult to change later on.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 26
06 October 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
The reason is possibly that the publishers and authors think that IPA would be too unfamiliar and scare buyers
away.

I have seen IPA in a few foreign language courses published in the UK. Many dictionaries published in the UK use
IPA as well.

I don't like what you call "modified standard English" either. Different books use different transcription systems.
There seems to be a different system for almost every course. I doubt that publishers assume that English speakers
are stupid, but can you really expect people that are reluctant to use something as simple and logical as the metric
system to use IPA..?

Edited by tractor on 07 October 2012 at 8:35am

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 26
06 October 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I've seen some really "creative" transcription systems in my collection of Teach Yourself and Assimil courses and always wondered what's wrong with the supposedly "international" phonetic alphabet.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that for instance French-based Assimil courses have IPA. Can anyone confirm?
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 4 of 26
06 October 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
The New Penguin Russian Course just shocked me. It does not provide any consistent
transcription at all: one and the same phoneme can be written in three different ways!
The explanation of sounds is wrong, and it is said that that pronunciation is not
important at all.
But other textbooks could provide something more logical too.
Metres are not better than feet.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 26
06 October 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I agree with tractor. Asking Americans or other English-speakers, notorious for their monolingualism, to learn IPA, is akin to asking them to learn two foreign languages in one go. We here on the forum know that IPA is a useful standard for pronunciation and takes little time to learn. IPA is different enough that it would probably tip the balance toward someone choosing not to buy a product because of its presence. The market for language materials is not solely composed of HTLAL members.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 6 of 26
06 October 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Metres are not better than feet.

Yes, they are. The length of a foot varied from country to country and even from city to city. Besides, metric units
are based around the number 10.

Edited by tractor on 06 October 2012 at 4:11pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 

Message 7 of 26
06 October 2012 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
On the other hand, I'm not sure that for instance French-based Assimil courses have IPA.
Can anyone confirm?

I have never seen an Assimil course, regardless of base language, that uses IPA.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 8 of 26
06 October 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I agree with tractor. Asking Americans or other English-speakers,
notorious for their monolingualism, to learn IPA, is akin to asking them to learn
two foreign languages in one go. We here on the forum know that IPA is a
useful standard for pronunciation and takes little time to learn. IPA is different enough
that it would probably tip the balance toward someone choosing not to buy a product
because of its presence. The market for language materials is not solely composed of
HTLAL members.

But that again assumes that they are fools. Well, it might be something simple and
regular, not necessarily IPA.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version