Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 17 of 26
06 October 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
There is something intrinsically better about 10 than about 12?

Not really, but as long as we use Arabic numerals, base 10 and decimals, it is very practical to stick to 10. Well,
that's only my personal opinion.

montmorency wrote:
(I guess Danish children grow up quite good at multiples and fractions of 20 )

From what Danes have told me, numbers like "treds" and "halvfjers". just represent 60, 70 etc. to them and they
don't think of them as 3 × 20 and 3½ × 20.
6 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 26
07 October 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:

I don't like what you call "modified standard English" either. Different books use
different transcription systems.
There seems to be a different system for almost every course. I doubt that publishers
assume that English speakers
are stupid, but can you really expect people that are reluctant to use something as
simple and logical as the metric
system to use IPA..?

I called it "modified standard English" because some courses claim that the transcription
is based on standard BBC English accent and then introduce the sounds, even sounds not
found in English with the transcription.
1 person has voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 26
07 October 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
On the other hand, I'm not sure that for instance
French-based Assimil courses have IPA.
Can anyone confirm?

I have never seen an Assimil course, regardless of base language, that uses IPA.

At least for Assimil, there is plenty of audio to rely on. I personally did not learn the
sounds of a new language based on the introduction of Assimil (If I would start one) and
try to listen from the CDs from the beginning or check the IPA on the Internet.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 26
07 October 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Alright, Assimil has audio, but so does Teach Yourself which still has so-so transcription. Maybe they think that the learners aren't able to hear the sounds, what do I know?

The absolutely worst kind of transcription is adding R for long vowels (think of British car, door, burn) - obviously a sign that the publisher has a non-rhotic accent of English, but how should the learners know? It's especially common for so-called transcriptions of Cantonese ("bart" for the number eight, how about that! I've even heard people base their Cantonese pronunciation on the supposedly audible R). I've seen the same vowel sound transcribed as "o" which only makes sense if you know the author's accent (/ɑ/ instead of /ɔ/ in certain positions).

Oh, the humanity.

boaby
Ireland
Joined 5291 days ago

16 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Portuguese, Catalan

Message 21 of 26
09 October 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
For me, the main reason for the rare use of IPA symbols in English language published material compared with non-English is to do with the target audience and specifically their goals.

The most studied foreign language at the moment is English and the majority of those learners are not doing so out of a love for languages, English language culture or to make their holidays more enjoyable. They are mostly learning English for very serious reasons to do with making their way in the world as nurses, doctors, engineers, hospitality staff or entrepreneurs (to name a few). English is part of a process towards a better life and it is a means not an end in itself. It is for these reasons that they take learning English very seriously, spending serious money to acquire it, and I'm guessing, are open to anything that will help them succeed.

The publishers for these learners operate in a very competitive market and try to offer real tangible benefits to using their series of books over another. They assess what to include in their pedagogical approach based on a different idea of the target user to the book user (like me) who pursue languages and language materials out of curiosity, fun and often without the intention to commit serious time or energy to the materials.

Edited by boaby on 09 October 2012 at 6:42pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 22 of 26
10 October 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It's especially common for so-called transcriptions of Cantonese ("bart" for the number eight, how about that!

Not only publishers, but Cantonese speakers, too. There are a lot of words that don't have commonly known characters and they are often written in Latin letters according to a pretty ad-hoc system. Heck, even characters that are pretty standard are sometimes transcribed instead. My girlfriend consistently writes "ar" for the "aa3" particle. It took me a long time to get used to.

So hey, if the writer of the course is a native Canto speaker, it might feel very natural to them. Doesn't make it natural for us American-indoctrinated Europeans, though.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 26
10 October 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Objectively seen the best solution would be that all textbooks and dictionaries used IPa. But you would have to teach it to the readers first, and you would have to do that with sound examples, articulatory descriptions maybe even those dreadful "sounds as" descriptions. Serious students of language might want to go through such a preparatory course, but I'm not surprised that publishers choose something seemingly simpler - even I haven't bothered to learn the full set of IPA symbols..

Edited by Iversen on 10 October 2012 at 11:27am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 24 of 26
10 October 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
boaby wrote:
For me, the main reason for the rare use of IPA symbols in English
language published material compared with non-English is to do with the target audience
and specifically their goals.

The most studied foreign language at the moment is English and the majority of those
learners are not doing so out of a love for languages, English language culture or to
make their holidays more enjoyable. They are mostly learning English for very serious
reasons to do with making their way in the world as nurses, doctors, engineers,
hospitality staff or entrepreneurs (to name a few). English is part of a process
towards a better life and it is a means not an end in itself. It is for these reasons
that they take learning English very seriously, spending serious money to acquire it,
and I'm guessing, are open to anything that will help them succeed.

The publishers for these learners operate in a very competitive market and try to offer
real tangible benefits to using their series of books over another. They assess what to
include in their pedagogical approach based on a different idea of the target user to
the book user (like me) who pursue languages and language materials out of curiosity,
fun and often without the intention to commit serious time or energy to the materials.

But IPA makes learning languages easier. And textbooks must be aimed to those who want
to study a foreign language. Also even native English speakers sometimes need other
languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version