Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 9 of 26
06 October 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Марк wrote:
Metres are not better than feet.

Yes, they are. The length of a foot varied from country to country and even from city to
city. Besides, metric units
are based around the number 10.

But now they are used in a certain number of countries and have a strict value. 10 is not
better than twelve.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 10 of 26
06 October 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
But that again assumes that they are fools. Well, it might be something simple and regular, not necessarily IPA.

I am not saying they are fools. How many average, non-linguist, Russians (or French, or Spanish or Dutch for that matter) are familiar with the IPA? When a business is selling a product like language learning material, it must appeal to a broad consumer base. The IPA was developed by linguists in order to have an international standard for pronunciation. It would be useful for people to know it, however; it is not essential. I didn't use it and I did alright.

For most monolingual people, learning a language is a daunting enough task. A language with a different script is doubly so. Add in IPA as well and just kiss your market goodbye.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 11 of 26
06 October 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Марк wrote:
But that again assumes that they are fools. Well, it
might be something simple and regular, not necessarily IPA.

I am not saying they are fools. How many average, non-linguist, Russians (or French, or
Spanish or Dutch for that matter) are familiar with the IPA? When a business is selling
a product like language learning material, it must appeal to a broad consumer base. The
IPA was developed by linguists in order to have an international standard for
pronunciation. It would be useful for people to know it, however; it is not essential.
I didn't use it and I did alright.

For most monolingual people, learning a language is a daunting enough task. A language
with a different script is doubly so. Add in IPA as well and just kiss your market
goodbye.

I didn't say they were fools either. I said such an attempt treats them in such a way.
Many people who learned English are familiar with IPA, all the modern textbooks of
English and dictionaries teach it.
It is so much easier to learn the IPA symbols used for English than to understand how
to pronounce a given English word. I remember I wondered why the English couldn’t write
everything in IPA.
Of course by IPA I mean an adopted to a certain language system. And one can use
another system but it must be consistent and simple. That’s what many textbooks fail to
do.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 26
06 October 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
tractor wrote:
Марк wrote:

Yes, they are. The length of a foot varied from country to country and even from city to
city. Besides, metric units

But now they are used in a certain number of countries and have a strict value. 10 is not
better than twelve.

There are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard and 1760 yards in a mile. Wonderful system.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 13 of 26
06 October 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Марк wrote:

Yes, they are. The length of a foot varied from country to country and even from city to city. Besides, metric units

Oh dear oh dear. Number favouritism. There is something intrinsically better about 10 than about 12?

If we are going to play that game, 12 has more factors, and one third of 12 is a whole number. Plus I don't care what "feet" they use in other countries. The foot in the Imperial System is well defined, and that's what we use here.

(We used to have a shilling of 12 pence, so English children used to grow up being quite good at factorising and dividing 12 (and 20 as there were 20 shillings in a pound), and being quite familiar with the relevant fractions. Similarly 16 (ounces in a pound). (I guess Danish children grow up quite good at multiples and fractions of 20 ) Is it any coindidence that we started going down hill once we decimalised coinage, and started selling petrol in lires? I think not ... )

[There is a better reason for preferring traditional units of measurement though, and that is because they are - familiar, and meaningful for the people who use them.

I believe the Germans still referred to half a kg as a "Pfund" and still used it until relatively recently, and maybe still do in small shops selling things where that is a useful quantity.]

We also use the inch and the yard, but we also use the metric system where appropriate. In science and Engineering of course, but also nowadays in building, but also buying material for making clothes, or a length of wire, or things like that.

I still ask for my meat by the pound in my local butcher, although he is required by law to weigh it in kg and show the price in kg, but it's no big deal really.

In other words, we are pretty adaptable, but many of us still prefer the old units for everyday use, so in a way I agree with you.

There is actually no excuse for course books not to show IPA and if they want to show a more "familiar" (if not very accurate) "everyday" notation, then they could do that as well.

They should probably teach IPA at school, but...well, as far as I know they don't.

I was quite annoyed a little while ago by my "Teach Yourself Complete Danish", and they wrote that the "ek" in "seksten" was pronounced "I". I thought they uppercased the "i" to emphasise that it wasn't an "e" sound, and I was pronouncing the "i" as in RP English "tin". When I checked on the audio CD I found what they meant was "I" as in the first person singular pronoun, i.e. like RP English "eye".

I probably should have been more wide awake (or not so dumb) in the first place, but it shows where those approximate pronunciation guides can lead you.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 26
06 October 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
There is one slightly practical factor against IPA which is that if printed small, some symbols can be quite hard to read, and that's what usually puts me off it in dictionaries, which are often printed small in any case.

Not so difficult for you young whippersnappers with 20/20 eyesight, but not so easy past mid-forties with less that perfect lighting conditions.

And if the symbols are unfamiliar in the first place, well...

I hope course designers would bear this in mind when using or considering using IPA.

(And I don't find it particularly easy to cope with, as it happens. Maybe I am just thick, or it's a vision thing).

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 15 of 26
06 October 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

I was quite annoyed a little while ago by my "Teach Yourself Complete Danish", and they
wrote that the "ek" in "seksten" was pronounced "I". I thought they uppercased the "i"
to emphasise that it wasn't an "e" sound, and I was pronouncing the "i" as in
RP English "tin". When I checked on the audio CD I found what they meant was "I" as in
the first person singular pronoun, i.e. like RP English "eye".

I probably should have been more wide awake (or not so dumb) in the first place, but it
shows where those approximate pronunciation guides can lead you.

That's wonderful! This "easy" system is not clear even to native English speakers.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 26
06 October 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I believe the Germans still referred to half a kg as a "Pfund" and still used it
until relatively recently, and maybe still do in small shops selling things where that is
a useful quantity.

The Dutch call 500g a pond and 100g an ons.

Edited by tarvos on 06 October 2012 at 7:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version