liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 89
24 December 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
French
I'm getting a fair bit done in French. I spent today working on some grammatical
problems that rose in the past few days concerning that pesky little preposition "de"
and its various forms depending on context. I thought I had this fairly well covered,
but alas!

This evening of been gathering together interesting resources to use. A special thanks
to emk and tastyonions for finding some gems! I've also found the film Amélie on
Youtube with French subtitles and so I think I'm going to spend a whole week watching
this a number of times.

Gaelic
As with French, I've been focusing a great deal on native materials this week. The
difference between the recordings that come with my course and the way the language
actually sounds at full speed is huge! As is to be expected I suppose. I find it quite
hard to follow some speakers who seem to elide whole syllables in speech. Also, the
discord between certain dialectal speech and the written word is becoming apparent.
However, this isn't a big deal for me, as I love comparing dialects of languages (I've
been known to bore friends to death with detailed accounts of the difference between
this and that in Irish).

There really isn't anything to it but to knuckle down and listen to the subtle lilt of
this beautiful language!

Tha mi a' smaointinn gu bheil mi ag èirigh nas fhearr aig a'Ghàidhlig gach uile
seachdain. Tha i deacair ann uaireannan, ach tha an cànan a' còrdadh rium gu mòr.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 18 of 89
28 December 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
The Christmas holidays have been great for developing a solid routine of study, and
I've made the most of it.

French
I've begun a regiment of fairly intensive listening where I listen to RFI or Amélie
many,many times in order to pick up on subtle elements of pronunciation.

I've also begun reading a book of short stories that I got a few months ago but hadn't
really liked. Last night I read "Apprendre à Vivre", a short story by Frédéric H.
Fajardie. The story tells of Patrick, a young boy who finds himself in a "no-mans" land
of life, stuck
between childhood and adulthood. The struggling boy wearing his new pair of roller
blades grabs onto the back of one Antoine Lopez's car in an attempt to flee quietly
from his (Patrick's) childhood crush. Lopez is also going through a distressing period
in his life and it is this meeting that results in Patrick's tragic death.

It's a parallel text, so looking up vocab isn't a problem. At the end of the story I
made a list of some useful vocab that I hadn't come across before (un volant, le
salaud, maudire etc.) and I was able to recall them all today from memory without
opening the book. I'm going to flick through the story again tonight to make sure I
understand everything.

Tonight I'm also going to begin reading "David", by Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio. From
flicking through it, the level of language seems very relaxed, with some nice snatches
of slang filled dialogue to balance it out.

I wonder would anyone know where I could come on a recording of "David", it would be a
huge help! Slim chance, I know.

Going of on a tangent, here's an interesting interview with Le Clézio, it begins with a
talk on languages: id=1047">Interview

Scottish Gaelic
I've covered most of the main grammar points so far, and the main task now is to
acquire vocabulary. Yesterday I went through some dialogues from the book and first
translated the Gaelic dialogues to English, and today re-translated them back to
Gaelic. I had little difficulty doing this, with the odd spelling mistake.

Furthermore, I'm still working with interviews found on this
site(Guthan nan Eilean ) , and focusing on the
flow and pronunciation of the language. When I return to Dublin, I must buy a couple of
CDs by Julie Fowlis or Kathleen MacInness.

Edited by liammcg on 28 December 2012 at 4:39pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 19 of 89
05 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
TAC has begun! However, I won't be able to focus on languages for the next week as I'm
doing exams. Once they're finished, I will have a week off, so I expect my next update
this time next week.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6416 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 20 of 89
05 January 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Good luck on your exams!
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 21 of 89
19 January 2013 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Well, time for a quick update as to how I'm doing so far.
French
I'm feeling very comfortable in French lately, I feel I've broken through a barrier and
now am able to produce the language at a higher rate than ever before. This is not to
say that the production rate is lightening fast, it is at a normal rate, but with more
of a flow. One thing I've noticed since I started focusing on grammar is my improved
ability to correct myself fairly rapidly upon using the wrong gender etc. Perhaps it's
time to update this language to "Basic Fluency". We'll see what progress I can make
between now and this time next month.

Listening is still ropy at times, more so with colloquial language and so I am going to
set aside more time for watching some good films.

Also, I'm going to join the Alliance Française in Dublin (something I should have done
a LONG time ago!), so as to benefit from their library. I may look into taking classes,
but because of my busy college schedule this is unlikely.

Scottish Gaelic
During my week off I put aside 45 mins every night to watch a program on BBC Alba. Some
of it was tough going with heavy reliance on subtitles but there were some programs,
particularly an interview program (cannot remember the name) that I was able to get the
gist of most of what was being said from just the audio. I'm quite happy with this,
considering I've only been studying for a few months.

The plan for the rest of the month is to keep listening and reading (for vocab), while
studying any grammatical irregularities that differ from Irish.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 22 of 89
21 January 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Chan eil mòran a' dol leis a' Ghàidhlig. Bha mi a' faicinn air videon air Youtube an-diù,
ach cha do thuig mi a' chainnt a robh ro luath. Ged tha, d'èist mi pìos beag ri Julia
Fowlis agus Ailean Dòmhnallach cuideachd. Feumaidh mi a'ràdh gum beil an dithis aca go
taghta math. Fhuair mi leabhar bhon leabhar-lann an-diugh fo dhual-chainnt nan eileanan
an iar. Bidh mi ga leughadh bhon dràsta.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6416 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 23 of 89
22 January 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I have no idea what you just wrote, but Celtic languages just look beautiful, don't they?

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 24 of 89
22 January 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I have no idea what you just wrote, but Celtic languages just look
beautiful, don't they?

Definitely! I'm really enjoying the Scottish orthography, because a) the grave accent
makes it look like an old or "cool" version of Irish,and b) Scottish seems to be much
less homogeneous in terms of spelling than Irish. For example, the use of the ' mark
shows more closely how the language is spoken. In Irish, one generally
wouldn't use such conventions in formal writing.

Edited by liammcg on 22 January 2013 at 10:05am

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version