89 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 11 12 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 33 of 89
20 February 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's been a LONG time since my last update! I'm just very busy, and as I explained
elsewhere, I won't get any study done over the next 4-5 weeks do to an intensive college
placement. So, this will be my last update for another bit. There isn't much to report,
I've been relying heavily on listening to maintain my languages until I can study
properly. I've noticed that my listening comprehension is improved greatly in Scottish
Gaelic. I just listened to this documentary about Gaelic education and was able to
understand 90% of it without too much effort.
Foghlam tro mheadhan na Gàidhlig

Edited by liammcg on 15 March 2013 at 9:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 34 of 89
16 March 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
That's great news about your listening skills reaching 90% in Scottish Gaelic! I can only dream of that one fine day in the distant future for my favourite programmes on TG4.

I hope the college work eases up for you soon (I'm being pretty much in the same boat right now, so you have my sympathies there). How do you find maintaining your Irish whilst learning Scottish Gaelic at the same time by the way - any interference so far or are they easy to keep separate?

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 35 of 89
16 March 2013 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Teango, a chara!

Yes, thanks for the commiserations about college work! There's only one more week left,
so it should be smooth sailing from then on.

I'm very far from having 90% listening skills across the board, the documentary above
featured very clear narration/speakers and so it wasn't too hard. Anyone with good
Irish would able to get the gist of it without having studied SG before. I've begun
listening to BBC ALBA's 'Litir do Luchd-Ionnsachaidh na Gàidhlig', which is simply an
incredible resource for all learners, with interesting content and an accompanying
script. Hopefully after a few months of diving into the archives my listening should be
more solid.

I haven't really had any problems thus far in terms of interference. Scottish Gaelic
has some particular sounds that aren't found in Irish, and when I produce them my brain
goes into Scottish mode. Having said that, I haven't exactly been using SG actively as
of yet, which would might change once I begin to use it more (I may take a trip to the
Hebrides again during the summer). Irish is a language I use everyday, I speak to my
mother on the phone in Irish, as well with many close friends, and I also teach the
kids in school solely through Irish for an hour each day. Maintenance isn't really a
problem.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 36 of 89
26 March 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
26/3/13- Back to work!

Well, I've finally finished a five week school placement which involved an incredible
amount of hard work and dedication, but it was all worth it and I've emerged the
better because of it! Only two more months of college and then I'll be a qualified
teacher!

Gaelic

I got back into study today, spending two hours at Gaelic. I listened to "Litir do
Luchd Ionnsachaidh", which I found interesting. It includes some nice phrases and
vocabulary. After the first listening I had little problem following the whole thing
and so listened twice more for good measure.

Next, I went over to YouTube and listened to the great Norman MacLean telling a ghost
story (from what I can make out). I was able to get the general gist of the plot, but
there was a lot of guessing work involved. Once I can get my hands on the script I'll
download it onto my Ipod and listen intensively. I find folk stories such as this very
interesting, and the type of language used is exactly what I'm looking for, a native
speaker speaking in a natural setting, to balance out the learner's letter which is
read from a script. For those interested Y">here it is.

I also flicked through my copy of Teach Yourself Gaelic, scanning for new vocabulary.
I'm going to spend some time going over the tenses tomorrow, using the drills in the
book to practice. I'm pleased to find that my Gaelic hasn't left me given that I
haven't studied in five weeks. I suppose that my contact with its Irish sister has
helped keep it alive.

French
I went through some videos on YouTube, listened to the news, and read some blog posts
in French. Nothing too intensive today. I plan to dust off one of my books and read
some. Also, I've to work out a plan for French, I need to spend more focused study time   
on it, with more of a balance between the four skills. I'll report back tomorrow, and
of course suggestions are welcome as always.

Here's to a fresh start!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 37 of 89
28 March 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
THURSDAY- 28/3/13

Gaelic

I've done a lot in Gaelic over the past 48 hours, probably a combined total of 5.5
hours. I reviewed all the audio mentioned in the previous post, as well as reading up
to page 112 of Teach Yourself Gaelic. There was nothing "new" to be learned, but I
found it very helpful read so many sentences in Gaelic. I feel that I'm really getting
used to reading the language and matching up sounds with the orthography of the
language. As for writing, it is the skill I am neglecting almost entirely, bar copying
out phrases in order to cement them in my mind. I have no wish to write in Gaelic, I
don't have a need to do so. For the moment, I'm happy to focus on speaking, reading and
listening. In the event that I need to write something, I can rely on Irish if I come
across a spelling I can't figure out.
I've begun another Anki deck, this one consisting of random vocabulary I look up in the
dictionary that I feel is essential for expressing oneself. It also consists of
vocabulary found in TYG.

French

With French, I've almost found that there is too much of a range of resources to choose
from. I find it very easy to get excited about Gaelic, it's a culture I understand, one
that continues to hold my interest after all these years. I'm finding it more difficult
to make this same connection with French. Sure, I love the sound of the language, the
manners of self-expression etc but I need to go deeper. I'm going to spend the next
few days trawling through LingQ and the net in general for content that interests me.
In the meantime, I've continued on with YouTube clips and reading blogs. I've begun
reading the short story "Le Navet" from my Penguin short stories book. Having my quota
for Gaelic out of the way for the day, I expect to spend some quality time with French,
going over some grammatical exercises over on About.French.com. I plan to use
wordlists to acquire vocabulary as opposed to Anki, as I feel it will be more
beneficial to write out the words, considering that I plan to actively write in French.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 38 of 89
30 March 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY-30/3/13

Gaelic

As usual, I began my day by listening to BBC Radio nan Gaidheal while eating breakfast.
I'm able to get the general gist of what's being said in most cases, though this could
probably be improved if I focused properly besides slurping down the morning tea.

Since Thursday I've continued through Teach Yourself Gaelic at a slower pace, currently
on page 141. I've revised some useful vocabulary, as well as revising the past and
future tenses all of which was worthwhile as I had forgotten some of the nitty gritty
bits involving verbs beginning with an initial vowel or 'f'. I read through all the
text of the covered chapters, though I find the exercises largely pointless. As long as
I understand what is written I'm happy, and in that case I'm quite content considering
I've been able to understand the vast majority having never covered the content in
detail. Challenging vocabulary which I understood passively have been added to the Anki
deck, and reviews are going fine so far.

I've also being talking to myself (!) in Gaelic during the day and find that I can
express myself quite OK on familiar topics. If I were to go to Scotland tomorrow, I
feel that I could express myself fairly accurately in a Gaelic speaking environment.

Feumaidh mi a radh gu bheil mi a' faireachdainn fìor chorfurtail leis a' Ghàidhlig.
Ceart gu leòr, nì mi iomrallan nuair a tha mi a' bruidhinn, ach tha mi a' tuigsinn a'
chuid as motha agus is urrainn dhomh mìneachadh a dhèanamh air mo smaoinean.

I feel that I've reached an intermediate level in Gaelic. Sure, my speaking isn't
lightening fast, nor can I decipher fast speech on topics I've never heard of. However,
I'm certainly functional in the language. Anyone with Irish should definitely give
this language a go for a few months, they'll be amazed with the results!

French to follow...

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 39 of 89
04 April 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Time flies doesn't it? It's already April, meaning that we're a quarter of the way
through TAC 2013! I've been thinking about my goals over the last few days, as I've
been debating what to do.

As soon as I'm finished TY Gaelic, I shall simply maintain and hopefully fortify what
I've learned through songs and listening to the radio. I love the language of course,
but it doesn't have priority at the moment as I wish to press on with French.

I'm very excited about starting German this Summer! I've been very interested in this
language for quite a while now, my favorite feature being the clear dictation of
syllables as well as the wealth of literature associated with the language. I'm going
to wait until after I've sat my final exams to begin and hope to get a good foundation
with the resources at my disposal. I've got Assimil German with Ease, as well as
an old Linguaphone set and a vocabulary book.

Later on in the year I may experiment with one of a number of languages that I've been
interested in lately, possibly Welsh. I'd love to get a foundation in a Brythonic
Celtic language to see how it compares to the Q Celtic branch. From what I've read,
Welsh is considerably easier than any of the Goidelic languages and so I signed up to
the site saysomethinginwelsh.com to get a flavor of the language. I must say
that the first lesson seemed very easy and logical, with a clear structure to the
language. I will no doubt regret having said this in the future.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 40 of 89
05 April 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your German experiment! When will you start?
If you need any help or advice, please let me know.

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version