liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 89
24 January 2013 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Gaeilge
Beidh mé amuigh i nGaelscoil amárach go bhfeicfidh mé cén chumas labhartha atá ag na
páistí i mbun an tumoideachais, ag tnúth go mór leis gan amhrás! Ní dóigh liom go
bhfuil rud ar bith níos áille ná an teanga ársa seo a chluinsint ó bheal páiste beag.

French
Two realisations have struck me over the past few days:
1) Colloquial French is SO different to what is taught in books, but I suppose that's
the case with every language. Solutions to this are to buy a good DVD box set with
subtitles, and to get my hands on some Bandes Dessinées. Also, I haven't had anytime to
go to sign up with the Alliance, but I should be free to do so this Friday. Their
library, though I haven't seen it myself, is supposed to be quite impressive (the third
largest Alliance in Europe, apparently) and so this may solve the need for the above
resources.

2) I need to review quite a few words that I "know". I can recall the words, but often
not their gender. I've begun using Iversen's "Wordlist method" to resolve this. I also,
having completed the first three columns, make up sentences in my head, making use of
possessives (mon, ton, ma, ta etc) and also adjectives in an effort to cement the words
in my long term memory. I've also had a quick look
atthis to learn the patterns of the
words. Does this list look comprehensive to you? I won't lose too much sleep over this
for the moment, it should largely sort itself out given enough passive input and some
study.

Gàidhlig
Cha do rinn mi dad às ùr an-duigh, mar gun robh mi ro trang leis an obair! Leanaidh mi
air adhart a-màireach nuair a bhios an t-àm agam, le deòin Dhè.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 26 of 89
24 January 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
A few sites for Gaelic:

Akerbeltz
A great site, with excellent sections on pronunciation/sounds (fuaimean), as well as
grammar.

Achmainní Gaedhilge
This site features both Irish and Scottish Gaelic, with an interesting section on
comparing both. Notice the spelling, "Gaedhilge" vs Gaeilge of today. This is the old
way of spelling. Part of the spelling reform which took place in the 40s/50s with the
aim of eliminating silent letters from words. The move was somewhat controversial at
the time, and still today some people choose to write in the older form, a form which
is VERY close to Scottish Gaelic's current orthography.

Gàidhlig air an Lìon
A collection of various resources relating to all things Gaelic. I haven't explored it
fully, but have found some gems among the links.
3 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5948 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 27 of 89
25 January 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
Also, I haven't had anytime to go to sign up with the Alliance, but I should be free to do so this Friday. Their library, though I haven't seen it myself, is supposed to be quite impressive (the third largest Alliance in Europe, apparently) and so this may solve the need for the above resources.

Let us know how you get on in the Alliance ? I walk by the building every day and it's huge.

Is é mo mhéarchlár i nGaeilge, ach ar an drochuair, nach bhfuil mo inchinn.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 28 of 89
25 January 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

Let us know how you get on in the Alliance ? I walk by the building every day and it's
huge.

Is é mo mhéarchlár i nGaeilge, ach ar an drochuair, nach bhfuil mo inchinn.

Will do!

Píosa cleachtaidh atá ag teastáil uait, uainn uilig! Dhearfainn go bhfuil neart Gaeilge
agat, ach i a mhucailt!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 29 of 89
26 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
For those interested in Irish/Gaelic/Manx, or just Gaelic culture in general, there is a
series of programs available online at "TG4", documenting three Conemara men's trip
around the seas of these isles in search of the common Gaelic connection between the
three nations. If you look here: player.html">TG4 The program is called "Turas Húicéara", the Hooker being a type of
boat found on the west coast of Ireland.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 30 of 89
01 February 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
After a very busy week, it's time for another update. I haven't actively studied French
this week, just watched a few videos online, read an article or two on wikipedia. I'm
just back from the Alliance having signed up for membership, and not knowing exactly
where to start I took out Le Doigt Coupé de la Rue du Bison by François Caradec,
and a magazine Geo. Can anyone recommend any good authors in French? I remember
Emk and Tarvos mentioning specific books in their posts, I'll go back and see what I
can find. @ DarraghM, the library was nice and quite, friendly (French) staff and
there's a good collection of books. For only €25 (for a student, €40 for an adult, I
think) a year, I think it's a bargain!

Regarding Gaelic, I'm in the process of writing an essay on the similarities and
differences between itself and Irish. Not the funnest form of study but it makes you
really focus in on morphology,spelling etc. Having posted a query over at
Foramnagaidhlig.net, I came across this site (An
Sgeulachd Ghoirid
) with short stories and corresponding text. I haven't had time
to use them yet, but I was able to roughly follow with the first story after one quick
listen. I'm getting to the stage with Gaelic that I think I just need to dive into
native materials, and focus solely on listening and reading instead of dealing with
textbooks. After all, it could be argued that "I know" this language. I presume
a Dane learning Swedish wouldn't rely on textbooks, but rather become accustomed to the
similarities and differences between the two languages.

For Irish, I've bought "Mo Bhealach Féin" by Seosamh MacGrianna and look forward to
reading it slowly and in depth. The language used is very poetic, and very captivating.

P.S I've ordered a copy of Assimil's German with ease! I look forward to
starting this language in April/May (if I can hold off for that long!).

Edited by liammcg on 01 February 2013 at 7:34pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 31 of 89
04 February 2013 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Looks like you've been making some good progress!

One french band that i listen to is KAIN. They're a québecois folk rock group, i don't know if that would interest you
or not. I own the album Nulle Part Ailleurs which is pretty good. There are some crazy instrumentals that you might
enjoy.

Good luck for the rest of the year!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 32 of 89
04 February 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Emily, thanks very much for the suggestion! I'll go and search for them now, and very
best
of luck to you also :)

Edited by liammcg on 04 February 2013 at 10:20pm

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version