liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 57 of 89
16 June 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
@ Josquin
Thanks for the feedback, yeah I agree with the choppiness, I always have this problem
when reading aloud but especially in French as I over concentrate on individual words
and not the overall sound . I think a bit of shadowing is in order!

Regarding Gaelic, my course focuses on the Barra dialect, though I have been looking
for some clear audio of the South Uist dialect as it's the one I like the best, though
the Lewis lilt (almost Scandinavian at times) is quite attractive too. My Irish
certainly has some influence. I posted the audio over on another Gaelic forum, where it
was pointed out that I pronounced 'bàn' and 'agus' in the Irish fashion.

@Tarvos
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that the Rs were to your liking! It's still
difficult to produce in particular situations but I'm working on it. Yeah I need to
work on the nasal vowels more, nasal ɛ in particular I think.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 58 of 89
16 June 2013 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, sometimes your "ain" sound is a little "flat", but I will leave it to someone like
Arekkusu to help you with that, because I wouldn't know how to improve it (I don't have
problems with French sounds, just sometimes with putting the liaisons in the correct
spots).

I noticed nothing wrong with the r. Also was happy to hear you chose a Breton extract.
Was it from the Wikipedia entry?

In short, I couldn't really hear that you were Irish for example.

Edited by tarvos on 16 June 2013 at 6:59pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 59 of 89
16 June 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it was just an extract from Wikipedia. I just chose something random, recorded it
the first time I read it (hence the pauses!) to give you a genuine sample of my French,
as opposed to a practiced reading.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 60 of 89
18 June 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Time for a quick update. I haven't studied much since Friday due to a weekend spent on
an island off the west coast playing music, as well as the bad flue I've picked up as a
result.

Gaelic
Continued on with the BBC podcasts and read a small bit on the net. This evening I also
watched an hour of BBC Alba, the learner's program "Speaking Our Language" and the
news. Not too much difficulty here.

French
Some grammar study, in particular the subjunctive. Watched the usual feed of content on
YouTube, read a lot on Wikipedia, and have begun to use LingQ religiously once again.

German
That's right, I've begun German! I began last Wednesday using Assimil. I got a full
week done in two days because I knew all the words and grammar points from previous
dabbles. From here on out it will be the orthodox one lesson a day. Today I've
completed lesson 9, and added new vocab to an anki deck. I'm really enjoying it so far
and am looking forward to continuing on with this new adventure :)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 61 of 89
29 June 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
A while since my last update.

Firstly, I want to note that Gaelic has taken a back seat for the moment in my
studies. There are two reasons for this: (a)the number of Irish books sitting on my
shelf which I wish to get through and (b) the possible trip to the Hebrides this Summer
now looks very unlikely due to finances. Given that time is precious, I've decided that
for the time being I'd rather spend my time with Irish and so Gaelic will not receive
the same attention as before. I will however keep up some contact with it, devoting an
hour a week or so to reading some blog posts on the net. I'm confident that my level
will not diminish due to lack of contact. Also note that a Gaelic speaking acquaintance
may cross my path in the next few weeks at a music festival in Ireland, and so
hopefully I'll have my first chance to speak the language face to face with a native.
I'll make sure to report my experiences here!

French is going great. Lately something just seems to have clicked. In speaking
I seem to use the correct gender of most words, and the necessary modifications to
adjectives etc. My speech rate has picked up a good bit (not lighting fast of course,
but doing my best). Texts that I found difficult at the beginning of this log now seem
strangely straightforward. All of these improvements I put down to the increase in
reading, and the exposure to native colloquial speech in videos I've been watching. I'm
at the point where I can simply relax and enjoy reading a book, which for me seems like
a major breakthrough.

German, where have you been all my life? There's something in the sound,
spelling and general feel of the language that I love. This is my first time using
Assimil, currently on lesson 21 of the passive wave. I find the system brilliant,
grammar is explained in just enough detail to get the point across. The book aims to
feed you pieces of grammar bit by bit. This exposure(hopefully) accumulates to the
point where the learner has a type of "sixth sense" about which article to use etc.
It's all been fairly elementary so far. The Anki reviews are also going well. Looking
forward to continuing on!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 62 of 89
04 July 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you're enjoying German so far. Keep us updated about your progress!

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 63 of 89
16 July 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's been quite a while since my last update. The reason being I got very little
quality study done last week as I was away playing at a music festival in County Clare.
Upon my return I was a bit worse for wear and so have only just back into the swing of
things. Nonetheless, here's a small update.

Deutsch
Assimil is going well, though I'm begin to feel the grammar pile on. I find myself
checking back now and again to figure out why a word or adejective is in a certain
case, but I'm not too worried about this. I'm simply trying to "notice" and absorb as
much of the grammar as possible. I've also begun talking to myself for a few minutes
every day using the limited vocabulary I have. Anki seems to work well for me, I like
it.

Français
Much the same as before, though I've joined sharedtalk in search of study partners. Any
French speakers wishing to learn/practice Irish or Gaelic? Get in touch!

Gàidhlig
I listened to some BBC podcasts to day, understood the vast majority of what was said,
which I'm pleased with. My prayers seem to have been answered in my search for
recordings of native speakers from South Uist. On browsing the net I found
thisbook,
Fo Sgàil A' Swastika, a history book accompanied with a recording of the author
reading it himself. I plan on ordering this (If I can scrape the money!) and
listening/reading a chapter once every fortnight, just something to keep my Gaelic
ticking over while picking up native pronunciation and idioms. Besides this, Gaelic
remains on the back burner.

Gaeilge
Plenty of talking and reading. Having a language at this level is a joy, something to
snuggle up with at night! It's certainly a motivation to push on with French to reach
the same level.

Cymraeg
As you will notice, I've added Welsh to my "studies" list. Why wait to begin? I'm using
Colloquial Welsh by Gareth King. My first impressions of the book (based on lesson one)
is that the voice actors FLY through the dialogues. I found it hard to get the phrases
to stick in my head, because I wasn't able to cling on to them at such speed. I suppose
I'll have to slow them down with media player until I pick up on the subtleties.

I'll try and get one unit done a week, allowing the material to absorb. I can see
myself supplementing with BBC materials and such to fill in any blanks that arise.

English
Shadowing to work on my accent.... ;)

Edited by liammcg on 16 July 2013 at 10:54pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 64 of 89
17 July 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:

English
Shadowing to work on my accent.... ;)

ok, you've got me interested. what accent are you going for?

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version