Diglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 57 of 78
16 August 2013 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I just read through your lift off in latin log and then was led here. What an interesting idea! I would definitely have
problems exercising the self restraint to study the language i love for only ten minutes a day, but then again, i think
it would be a good strategy for a language that i'd like to start but have no time for. I could study everything else
first, and then reward myself with 10 minutes of dessert!

I agree with the logic you used to choose latin as the 10-minute language, and i can see myself making the same
decision in a couple of years (or even next year!) once i'm ready to start studying it. Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: just looked up the textbook you used (are still using?) on amazon and read the first few pages. i'm hooked!

Edited by Emily96 on 16 August 2013 at 6:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 58 of 78
17 August 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Just to recap at this point, here's my "remastered" outline for this language experiment:

Project: Learn 10 languages simultaneously by trying to study each one at least 15 minutes a day (Mon-Fri).

Languages: German, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Latin, Irish, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, and Hawaiian.

Questions:

- Can I study several languages at the same time without falling prey to language interference?

- Is it possible to study so many languages consistently over a longer period of time with heavy work/academic commitments?

- If I study a mere 15 minutes a day (i.e. little but often), how much progress can I make by the end of a year?

- How can I stay motivated and not burn out over the long run?

- Is there a positive synergistic effect that comes from studying multiple languages at once?

Start: 19th August, 2013

Edited by Teango on 17 August 2013 at 10:52pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 59 of 78
24 August 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
15 Minutes a Day (remastered): Week 1, "la bonne position"

Hours of study this week: 11.3
Total hours of study: 11.3

I officially reopened this project and cut the ribbon on 19th August, after I spent a little time getting used to a new study regime, fiddling around and fine-tuning methodologies, and tidying up or simply getting hold of suitable resources in the preceding week.

Hooray, look what arrived just in time!

Now a week down, I find that everything's starting to become much easier and fit into place. Studying several languages at once is already proving helpful in terms of learning new vocabulary and grammatical concepts. I have a broader frame of reference to draw on, with which to compare and contrast elements of different languages, and I anticipate that this positive synergy will only grow exponentially over time.

Edited by Teango on 25 August 2013 at 3:59pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4718 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 60 of 78
26 August 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I'd love to see how this project goes! How do you fit the time in? Do you do them all in one major session, or do you have little sessions throughout the day?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 61 of 78
26 August 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
I often find there's a wall I hit, where I get stuck on a language and need to devote
more time than I expected to work through it. I'll be interested how you handle these
moments.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 62 of 78
27 August 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
@Kronos
Vielen Dank, Kumpel - Hartnäckigkeit ist ja klasse! :) I'll try to formulate a Plan B just in case (and I think you're quite right here in suggesting this), but I'll tackle each week as it comes like a headstrong mountain goat and hope for the best with Plan A.

@Emily96
I'm always happy to hear that one of my posts inspires another member. My initial steps in Latin with "Lift-off in Latin" (initially in response to an interesting thread titled "Learning a Language Slowly and Easily" by Kanewai back in July 2012) is what really kick-started the whole idea of this project. As I was really enjoying partaking in a little bit of study every day with Latin, I thought: "Why not spice things up by extending this to a few more languages, do it all in the same day, and see where it goes?".

And I agree, it's really tough sometimes to stop at the 15-minute mark, but if I don't, I'll quickly run out of time for the remaining languages that I need to fit in throughout the rest of the day. So I try to restrain myself each day (although I wouldn't go so far as using a jacket just yet). ;)

@Jeffers
Good to have you drop by, mate. Time is very tight right now, as I have a full working and academic schedule (and I mean it's really mad this semester!), so I get up extra early in the morning to do a few languages (although certainly not as early as Professor Arguelles' 2am or anything), and then do some more work in my lunch break, as well as soon as I get home, and then later in the evening and/or just before bed.

I break sessions down into no more than 45 minutes, which works best for me so far; an hour always feels a bit too much like work. I'm also playing with the idea of doing some bonus listening whilst walking to work and back, which takes up 2-3 hours a day, but I usually need all my wits about me to traverse the perilous roads here in Hawai'i (lots of lolo drivers and far too many traffic cones and potholes for the hapless pedestrian!), so I don't know if I'll pursue that just yet.

Perhaps I shouldn't admit to these schemes and timings publicly, as it's bound to raise a few eyebrows, but what the hell, I'm amongst friends here, right? And I know there are other passionate learners like Iversen, Serpent, tarvos, and ellasevia amongst our members, who manage to fit in many more languages and hours than I do in the week.

@kanewai
Howzit, brah?! I haven't hit any walls or dangerously protruding concrete bollards yet, thankfully, but I'll let you know when I come to them in inevitable due course. I'm really impressed with the swiftly exanding library of French literature you're getting through recently; I can only dream of reading "À la recherche du temps perdu" independently for pleasure right now. Your language log is inspirational!

Edited by Teango on 28 August 2013 at 8:31am

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4280 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 63 of 78
01 September 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

If I study a mere 15 minutes a day (i.e. little but often), how much progress can I make by the end of a year?

That is quite an interesting experiment. I think breaking down your time in several session is a good idea. Have you set a specific study order ? For example, if you study French, Spanish and Latin during your morning session, I would guess there are more risks of interferences than if you did, say French, Japanese and Swedish in the morning session, Spanish at lunch and Latin in the evening. Also, having a routine where you do the same language at the same time everyday might help. I am curious to read what you do.

I am also quite interested in seeing how far 15mn a day will get you. I prefer the "little but often" method too but I wouldn't limit myself to 15mn sessions. It would be quite frustrating to watch a TV show or a movie in 15mn increments, same for a book or writing an essay and for conversations, it takes me a few minutes to be more comfortable with the language and the person and go beyond the meaningless pleasantries. Plus it takes more time to do two 15mn sessions than to do one 30mn session. Anyway, I have had a lot of troubles with consistency and I have decided to set myself a minimum of 15mn a day to see if that will help so I am really curious to see what results can be obtained doing that.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 64 of 78
02 September 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
15 Minutes a Day (remastered): Week 2, "hana hana hana"

Hours of study this week: 7.8
Total hours of study: 19.0

My first week back at university this semester was, in a word, gruelling! I managed to fit whatever spare moments I could into studying languages (lunch breaks, 4 o'clock morning rises, bedtime snacks, etc), but I had so much prep to do for teaching my own class, in addition to tackling 4 new graduate courses on top of this, that it was really quite a challenge. Hopefully next week will afford me more opportunities to study and less overall admin.

I found this Hawaiian dictionary in my local bookstore over the weekend, which ended up being a bit of a silly impulse buy:

Silly, why? It was only when I peeled off the plastic cover that I discovered it was based on a dictionary that dates back to 1865! No ʻokina & kahakōs, and no English to Hawaiian section either, noooo....this baby's going back to the shop on Monday! I think I'm going to order one of the dictionaries by Mary Kawena Pukuʻi instead, and will make do with the ulukau online dictionary until its arrival.

Edited by Teango on 11 September 2013 at 4:04am

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version