195 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 24 25 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4508 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 105 of 195
12 February 2013 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
No, I haven't, but Breton has not been my priority, Russian and Hebrew have been
(although I have neglected Hebrew in favour of Romanian lately). But I'll send you a PM
anyways - a contact stored is info gained.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 106 of 195
14 February 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Just a status report for the community: since the last message in this thread I have mainly worked with bilingual printouts from Vicipéid, where the translations were provided by Goggle Translate. I don't trust Google more than I would trust a fellow student if I were following a course, but without that somewhat fragile help I would be looking words up all the time. However my latest experiences with an article about Irish history were surprisingly positive - I could almost understand that one. You will find the details in my Multiconfused log. Besides I have been studying some chapters in my old blue TY. I don't make the exercises, but the grammatical sections are valuable because they tell me about things which have been puzzling - such as: why is there sometimes an "e" at the end of a sentence? Why is the verbal not initial in some sentences? (hint: look for the word "ea") and: what the .. is that "agus" doing there? Well, sometimes it functions as more than just a neutral connector. I could in principle do the translations from Irish into Danish or English and back, but working with random heaps of unrelated sentences is really not very exhilarating. And using the wordlists in the book would be like taking random words from a dictionary. It is much better to take a an alphabetical sequence of words from that dictionary instead because then you feel that you really get somewhere. So essentially I am down to using TY as a collection of short essays about grammar. Something you can read while waiting for a pizza.

Edited by Iversen on 14 February 2013 at 11:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4405 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 107 of 195
15 February 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Congrats Iversen, you seem to be doing very well with Irish! I had a look over on your
log, and your writing is much more legible than posts a few weeks/months back, has your
passive input/study increased much over the past few months?

I would definitively advise against using too much google translate, especially for
translating into Irish. For example, as simple construction such as "I'm a man" gives a
translation of "Tá mé fear".   

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 195
15 February 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I'm happy to hear that my Irish writings are moving in the right direction - it is not something that I can judge by myself, I can only feel a change in how I make them.

When I wrote my first message I basically just knew a limited number of grammatical rules and a few morphological tables, and then I had a good dictionary. Whether the result of combining those things was correct or not was not clear at all - every sentence was an experiment. With time my general feeling for the Irish language has improved, and I have become better at judging whether something is 'right' or not. I still compose my sentences word by word rather than utter them spontaneously, but I now try to judge them using my (still limited) 'Sprachgefühl'.

The proponents of learner types claim that there are two main learning strategies around: you can learn languages sequentially or holistically. I would say that my intensive studies of grammar and vocabulary are sequential (because I keep adding more stuff while trying to remember the old things). However getting a feeling for a language is clearly a holistic process, and because I refuse to go through the drills of a textbook from A to Z my acquisition of reading skills is also done entirely by holistic methods. Irish was a complete mystery to me in July 2012, but right now it feels like some kind of picture gradually emerges, and somewhere further ahead I suppose I'll be able to see the whole picture.

My input is still mostly through intensive methods, i.e. based on short excerpts from texts, and the only extensive experience I have had happens when I'm reading through those texts a second time. But on my shelf I have the first volume of Harry Potter in Irish waiting for me. I bought it in Ennis last year in July, at a time where my Irish studies barely had started. And reading that book will be my first major extensive reading task.

Edited by Iversen on 15 February 2013 at 11:07am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4645 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 109 of 195
17 February 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Feasgar math, a Cheilteacha!

A short status update: I'm still learning Gaelic, at the moment struggling with prepositions and the dative case. I had a weak start in January, but February has become a lot better. I hope it will go on like this. My Gaelic is still at a very basic level, but I hope it will improve a lot in the course of the year.

Slàn leibh!

Edited by Josquin on 17 February 2013 at 3:58pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4405 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 110 of 195
03 March 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
I hope everyone is well and making loads of progress! Welsh learners, what courses are
you using? I've been listening to a lot of Welsh over the past few days and I must say
that it's growing on me! What are the best courses? I've heard good things about
Say something in Welsh, what's your
experience with this?

Diolch / Go raibh maith agaibh / Tapadh leibh!

Shemtov
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4615 days ago

49 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Aramaic

Message 111 of 195
15 March 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I know its the Middle of march, but cold i possibly join this team for Scottish Gaelic? Or is it too late?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5357 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 112 of 195
15 March 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
@Shemtov
If no one else has any objections and it doesn't overstep TAC etiquette too far, I think it would be great to have another Scottish Gaelic learner on the team.

Edited by Teango on 16 March 2013 at 4:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version