195 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 24 25 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 161 of 195
29 August 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Also I think it's written redek nowadays, not redeg.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tahl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4088 days ago

26 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh
Studies: Spanish, Finnish

Message 162 of 195
29 August 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Tahl wrote:
Who runs after the cat in my sister's house?
Welsh: Pwy sy'n rhedeg ar ôl y gath yn nhŷ fy chwaer?
Breton: Piv zo o redeg war eul ar ch’azh en ti va c’hoar?

If the parallels are easier to spot in the pronunciation than in the ortography then
Welsh and Breton aren't too far away from each other - if these example sentences are
typical,that is.

I have never studied either of the two, but even I can see some parallels in the
sentences structure to Irish (and presumably Scottish Gaelic), like the use of "who is
at running" (instead of just) "runs", a complex preposition "ar-ol y-gath" at-after
the-cat" ("tar éis an cat" in Irish) and the word "ti" for 'house' in Breton (as in
Irish).

Further, the word for "house" in the Welsh above is actually "tŷ" -- which in the
sentence has undergone a "contact" nasal mutation to "yn nhŷ" because that's what "yn"
(when it's used to mean "in", as here) does to the letter "t." So sounds like the
Breton, Irish, and Welsh words for "house" are identical in sound ("tŷ" sounds like
"tee" in English).

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4478 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 163 of 195
29 August 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

It depends on which spelling norm you're using, I would say (and using the old Assimil is incredible in that respect, the author devised a spelling just for the book, and it was apparently not used at all). Following the phonology of Breton, it wouldn't matter if you wrote g or k, since it would be pronounced voiceless at the end of a word, except in a sandhi where it would necessarily be pronounced voiced (again, regardless of the spelling).

In the most recent spelling reform, they even decided that words like "mat" which can be both an adjective (good) and noun (the good?) would be spelt differently, despite obeying the same phonotactics, as mat and mad.

To continue the discussion, the Cornish textbooks I've seen seemed almost readable, given the little knowledge I have of Breton. I couldn't say the same about Welsh, however...

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 164 of 195
29 August 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Thought I had read this somewhere, and it appears to be confirmed in Wikipedia, that
"k" used to be used in Welsh:

(see "Orthography")

Welsh Language - Wikipedia

(Sorry if that's already been mentioned).

As Iversen suggests I think, it is similarities in the spoken languages that are more
significant, given the lack of standardisation in orthography until relatively recently
(for languages in general). Tantalising that we have to depend on written clues for no-
longer-living or barely-living or only-newly-revived languages (in order to try to work
out how they were spoken).

Edited by montmorency on 31 August 2013 at 2:46am

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4169 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 165 of 195
01 September 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

Drunken Scallywags

Apr - Maïwenn (Breton)

Please could you all leave a quick message here on our team thread to confirm who's still in?

Aye! Apologies for letting the Eddu whisky get the best of me. ;) From now on, I'll work on drinking in the language
instead. Cheers to all of you wonderful people who have kept at your studies!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 166 of 195
01 September 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
tarvos wrote:

It depends on which spelling norm you're using, I would say (and using the old Assimil
is incredible in that respect, the author devised a spelling just for the book, and it
was apparently not used at all). Following the phonology of Breton, it wouldn't matter
if you wrote g or k, since it would be pronounced voiceless at the end of a word,
except in a sandhi where it would necessarily be pronounced voiced (again, regardless
of the spelling).

In the most recent spelling reform, they even decided that words like "mat" which can
be both an adjective (good) and noun (the good?) would be spelt differently, despite
obeying the same phonotactics, as mat and mad.

To continue the discussion, the Cornish textbooks I've seen seemed almost readable,
given the little knowledge I have of Breton. I couldn't say the same about Welsh,
however...

I know that, Assimil writes it with "k" (the Kervella one).

Speaking of Breton, someone visited my Interpals profile yesterday, and he had Breton
listed, so I sent him a message in Breton. Got a reply!!!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 167 of 195
01 September 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Maïwenn wrote:
Teango wrote:

Drunken Scallywags

Apr - Maïwenn (Breton)

Please could you all leave a quick message here on our team thread to confirm who's still in?

Aye! Apologies for letting the Eddu whisky get the best of me. ;) From now on, I'll work on drinking in the language instead. Cheers to all of you wonderful people who have kept at your studies!

Aye, y'scurvy landlubber...tha' be some fine whisky. Good to have ye aboard again! :D

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4628 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 168 of 195
02 September 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Not sure if this site is well known, but a list of many dictionaries. I have chosen the Welsh-related ones in
this link, but just take away the #Welsh tag to get the full list:

Welsh-related online dictionaries

One link seems to be Cornish-Welsh:Welsh-cornish:
Kernewek Kembrek: Cymraeg Cernyweg

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version