Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 9 of 195
13 December 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
We've had some great names suggested for our Celtic team already, including:

- Team Táin
- Team Menhir
- Team Mutants
- Team Avalon

Let's keep the suggestions rolling in; the more the merrier! After which we can vote for our favourite (or fight on the highlands in glorious battle - remember, there can be only one!).

I'll add some more suggestions here:
- Team Lugus / Lugh (Celtic god of creation and learning);
- Team Tintagel or Team Camelot (following on from Gosiak's suggestion of bringing in Arthurian legend; automatic Celtic knighthoods for all).

I'm also delighted to announce that Iversen will be joining our team as an "associate member" in 2013 (i.e. he will not create a separate TAC log, but will pop in from time to time to support the cause)! I look forward to reading about his continuing journey in Irish next year, as part of his epic multilingual log, and would like to extend a warm welcome to Iversen from all of us in the team.

@Brun Ugle
Thanks for your kind comment, and feel free to drop by anytime! I thought it wouldn't be quite Celtic without a good narrative to start off proceedings. I hope too that this log will mark the beginning of a new trend, and a positive leap forward in learning about and preserving Celtic languages on the forum, gravitating to an even greater diversity of teams in future TACs.

@liammcg
Indeed, a good start is half the work done! (well, that's what I keep telling myself, but I know in reality that it's also good to keep on moving forwards and leafing through some of those Buntús Cainte books too) ;) Which part of Ireland are you orginally from? My mam and her immediate family are originally from Wexford, but most of my folks live near Galway or Cork nowadays. Apart from a few babytalk smatterings of Irish as a wee bairn in the buggy, I didn't get to hear much Irish whilst living in Wexford as a young boy. In retrospect, I'd have loved to have spent at least my very earliest years in the Gaeltacht and now have a lovely 83-year-old nanna to listen to by the warm orange glow of a traditional log fireplace. On the positive side though, I seem to have picked up the Irish knack for subconscious illiteration, and you might just spot me slipping into Hiberno-English from time to time too. Thanks for your offer of help with Irish, and good luck with Scottish Gaelic as well. I miss not having BBC Alba on tv here in the US anymore, and have often remarked how very similar it seemed to Irish (I even picked up a few words here and there on a sunny day).

@Maïwenn, tarvos
I'm so excited to have Breton speakers in our team! I don't know much at all about the language, but I look forward to learning more over the next year with both your help. I think posting some links to resources is a great idea, and maybe you could also post a Breton word or phrase of the week to get us all started (and I'll begin writing to Google to get them to upgrade their translator ;) )...I can't wait to say I learnt at least a few words of Breton, and I wish you every success with increasing your proficiency and fluency in this language in 2013!

@Gosiak
Great to have you in our team holding up the Welsh flag this year! I'm up to a quarter Welsh myself, and used to pop down to Swansea to visit my best mate throughout university, and recall lots of people speaking Welsh as we chilled out by the seaside around Mumbles at the weekend. And I can't recall if I mentioned this on one of your logs already, but if you haven't discovered "Say Something in Welsh" yet, do go and check it out (it's a free online course and forum for Welsh learners that I'd highly recommend).

Edited by Teango on 13 December 2012 at 6:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 195
13 December 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
I'm further delighted to welcome mezzonfanti to our Celtic Team, who already hosts a fascinating language learning blog on "The Mezzofanti Guild", and has made an inspirational journey in Irish over the last year (including flying all the way from Australia to immerse in the Gaeltacht, and ending up deep in Irish conversation with a member of the cast from my favourite show on TG4 "Rásaí na Gaillimhe" :) ). Great to have you on-board, mezzofanti!

Edited by Teango on 13 December 2012 at 6:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4404 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 195
13 December 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Excellent, the horde grows! I'm from Co.Mayo, Teango, right on the Atlantic coast.
1 person has voted this message useful

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4169 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 12 of 195
13 December 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

@Maïwenn, tarvos
maybe you could also post a Breton word or phrase of the week to get us all started (and I'll begin writing to
Google
to get them to upgrade their translator ;) )...I can't wait to say I learnt at least a few words of Breton

Bep sizhun? Gant plijadur!

I will try and find recordings, in the meantime, some shoddy IPA based off of my imperfect memory of
pronunciation
AND IPA:

[bɛp sizun? gãt pliʒɑduɹ]

AHA! I've found a recording for ur blijadur here: http://www.edubreizh.com/ger-an-deiz/plijadur/

Also, I think it would be really cool if every language represented did a phrase of the week. :) @tarvos, you can
next week's Breton phrase.

Edited by Maïwenn on 14 December 2012 at 4:00pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 195
13 December 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Evel-just! By the way, do you roll the r for Breton? Assimil says you can use a Parisian
r, although it used to be rolled, of course.

Edited by tarvos on 13 December 2012 at 12:53pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4644 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 14 of 195
13 December 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I'm really tempted to join this team, although I'm already on Team MIR and Godfather for Team Schnitzel. Doing some Scottish Gaelic in 2013 would be great, but I really don't know if I'll have the time. What am I gonna do?

By the way, Team Camelot sounds great to me.

Slàn leibh!

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 195
13 December 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
How about Team Clan ? The word comes into English, via Gaelic, and Gaeilge. It's easily recognisable. We can charge into TAC battle with painted faces and a blur of tartan.

Abú , Abú!!!

Edited by DaraghM on 13 December 2012 at 4:07pm

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4926 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 16 of 195
13 December 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey DaraghM ;) Team Clan for me is a bit odd combination of terms since team is a group of people and clan is also a kind of community, maybe it's just me.

@Teango: Thank you for the suggestion, I know 'say something in Welsh', it's brilliant and very enjoyable. I managed to study with their first course about two years ago and I need to repeat it at the very beginning of our challenge to make a good start.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version