Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Silbermond TAC ’13 - Teams Mir/鶴 (Asian)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4154 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 17 of 41
02 January 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Hi Silbermond

I'm glad I'm not alone in making the mistake of trying to change my email, (though I actually prefer my new username). ;)

I see you're doing a languages degree, which is something that I've been considering. How have you found it so far?

Edited by Hidden Linguist on 02 January 2013 at 12:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 41
02 January 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged 

Oh yay. Another kdrama fan. Which ones are your favs? :)

I'm studying Korean secretly. #1) Because seven other languages aren't enough, and #2) People will think I'm crazier than I actually am. (I'm using Assimil at the moment.)

I'm really excited to see where your studies take you this year. Good luck with all your languages!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 19 of 41
02 January 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm also learning Mandarin at about your level, Silbermond, but I wouldn't set a goal so
high for myself. B2!! What a dream to be so proficient in Mandarin. As for our team
Russian, you seem to have just started but still have set up a brave goal. Good luck, I'm
sure that with good work you will achieve all your goals!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 20 of 41
02 January 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Hey Charlotte! We're together on Team MIR, so I'm just dropping by to wish you the best of luck! =)

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 21 of 41
03 January 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Hallo Silbermond!

Ich hoffe, du kannst alle Ziele, die du dir für dieses Jahr vorgenommen hast, erreichen, und wünsche dir in diesem
Sinne viel Glück und Erfolg! :)
Falls irgendwelche Fragen in Deutsch aufkommen sollten (wobei ich das - angesichts deines doch schon sehr
hohen Niveaus - nicht erwarte :D ), lass es mich wissen.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 41
08 January 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Hey Charlotte! I'm a fellow MIRite and wish you all the best for Russian. Looking forward to your progression with Chinese too. You can't go wrong with NPCR, but don't forget to mix it up a little with other textbooks, blogs on the internet etc. Go to Wangfujin bookstore in Beijing to pick up some nice little textbooks, they're dead cheap!

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 23 of 41
08 January 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Well, hello everyone! :D I'm just going to reply to everyone who dropped by and then I'll update for the week so far... I've still not finished the challenge in Team Mir to visit all our team members' logs, either. I've not forgotten, it's just been a long and busy week.

tarvos wrote:
I forget cases even exist in German. I have not studied its gramar for almost 10 years. I know they're there, I just pretend I have internalised all of it. I haven't.

Und ich wünsche dir auch viel Glück und ein gutes Neues Jahr!

Ugh, I wish I forgot they were there... I still sit there looking at a sentence sometimes, unable to grasp any of it because the cases confuse the heck out of me. Hopefully, like with everything else, I'll get there some day.

Danke schön! Ich muss auch deine Log besuchen, aber werde ich erst dich viel Glück hier wünschen :).

Bakunin wrote:
Wow, das sind ambitiöse Ziele! Ich wünsche Dir viel Erfolg bei der diesjährigen TAC und Deinen zahlreichen anderen challenges :) Und ich hoffe, Du kommst dazu, ein bisschen Baskisch zu lernen und uns hier davon zu berichten!

Danke! Ich hoffe, dass ich einige Zeit finden kann, Baskisch zu lernen, weil ich viele baskische Studenten hier in Deutschland getroffen habe. Vielleicht werde ich Baskisch für ein 6WC benutzen. (Und natürlich werde ich alles berichten!)

M. Medialis wrote:
Your plans and goals for the new year are both brave and inspiring - and those are indeed really difficult languages - but that's what makes it so fun!! :)

I've never taken language classes at university level - but I can imagine it to be a cool motivator to have exams in the horizon.

Ah, and we all know of the mid-year burnouts. The lovely thing about Team TACs is that you know you have us in the team who are eager to see you jump aboard again and do a breath-taking comeback! :D

Good luck with all you language studies! :)

Thank you! :D It is handy having the exams as a motivator - and I definitely find that when I begin a language, it's useful to have a class and teacher to work with - but there are some definite downsides. (Especially the cost, when I consider what many people do alone without spending all those tuition fees, etc.)

And yep, that's why I've joined two teams this year - I have double the motivation to stick around, plus even more awesome people doing the same (or similar, or different) languages to me. I'm hoping TAC will keep me on track this year! :D

LanguageSponge wrote:
Hallo Silbermond,

Ich wünsche dir viel Glück bei deinen Sprachen im kommenden Jahr. Ich hoffe, dass du alle deine Ziele erreichst. Kommst du dazu, Baskisch zu erlernen, solltest du uns hier davon erzählen! Baskisch ist schon immer auf meiner Liste gewesen, doch bis jetzt bin ich noch nicht dazu gekommen. Genau wie dir mit dem Russischen, sind mir andere Sprachen immer in die Quere gekommen.

Jack

Danke, Jack! :) Ich hoffe, dass ich Zeit für Baskisch haben werde. Es ist eine Sprache, dass ich für viele Jahren lernen wollte, aber Russisch hat dieses Jahr Priorität. (Und finde ich auch, dass andere Sprachen immer in die Quere kommen :D!)

Crush wrote:
Hey Silbermond! I'll be following your Mandarin progress especially closely this year, you're probably a bit higher than i am but we might be around the same level :) I went through FSI Mandarin last year and now i'm working my way slowly through NPCR, too. I just finished the first book, but anyway: 祝你元旦快乐!

Btw, i'm currently living in China, where do you plan to go?

Ooh, we probably are. I've finished the second NPCR now, but I wish I'd started with FSI because it looks like it covers tones/pronunciation in much more detail. NPCR is the book we use at my university though, so I didn't have much choice. 谢谢你!

I'm going to Beijing... in about six weeks actually, yay! I'll be studying at Beijing Language and Culture University until the beginning of July. Whereabouts are you? I've been to Beijing before, so I'm always interested to find out about other places in China.

riff wrote:
Hi Silbermond! I couldn't agree more about Russian, a dream language for sure. I too hope that I can dream in Russian someday. Good luck!

Oh, I hope that I do! :D It's such a cool language~ And thank you!

Emme wrote:
Hi Silbermond!

Nice to have someone else in team MIR with a partial overlap in language competences: I too am a beginner in Russian and an “advanced” learner (whatever that means) in German.

I’ll be following your log with interest, meanwhile I wish you all the best for 2013!

Hello! Oh, yours is one of the logs I've not got around to yet, though I think I've read it once... I will come and comment soon! But yay, I'm glad to see another beginner in Russian; I feel like I'm flailing around a bit at the moment with it (unlike German, where I always feel like I'm flailing around with it ;D). Thanks! :D

zecchino1991 wrote:
Hi! I am on Team Mir as well. I really like your goals and I wish you every success in achieving them this year! I look forward to following your log. Успехов!

Cпасибо! :D

ancpem1 wrote:
Hi, Silbermond! I'm also on Team Mir. I look forward to reading your log!

Hi! Thank you; I'm sure I'll be haunting yours as well :D.

Hidden Linguist wrote:
Hi Silbermond

I'm glad I'm not alone in making the mistake of trying to change my email, (though I actually prefer my new username). ;)

I see you're doing a languages degree, which is something that I've been considering. How have you found it so far?

Haha, me too, and I've certainly learned my lesson from it!

Personally, I do love it. It's been worth the money I've paid and I don't think I'd trade my year abroad for anything (it's ridiculous amounts of fun) but you need to see whether it's worth it for you, especially considering how much degrees cost now -_-. Plus, if you want to get anywhere near fluent you have to put in a ton of outside work (something that some of my classmates seem to struggle with) - but since you're here already, I guess you already know that. But I don't know, I wouldn't change my mind about it. Then again, I've not hit the dreaded final year yet. That sounds terrifying for every degree :/ haha.

Kerrie wrote:

Oh yay. Another kdrama fan. Which ones are your favs? :)

I'm studying Korean secretly. #1) Because seven other languages aren't enough, and #2) People will think I'm crazier than I actually am. (I'm using Assimil at the moment.)

I'm really excited to see where your studies take you this year. Good luck with all your languages!

I haven't watched all that many, to say how much I love them~ I've seen all of My Princess and most of Rooftop Prince, but I get torn away from them for weeks on end. Do you have any good recommendations?

And haha, I thought I had trouble with four! Well, eight languages is certainly something, but you aren't all that crazy ;). How is Assimil working for you?

And thank you!

Expugnator wrote:
I'm also learning Mandarin at about your level, Silbermond, but I wouldn't set a goal so high for myself. B2!! What a dream to be so proficient in Mandarin. As for our team Russian, you seem to have just started but still have set up a brave goal. Good luck, I'm sure that with good work you will achieve all your goals!

Haha, well I'm hoping that the five months I'm spending in China will help push me up there. If not, well then I got pretty close, so I figure I don't lose out either way ;). Russian is possibly the most ambitious of all my goals (and the one I least expect to reach), but I don't have a problem with aiming high so long as I don't burn out.

I'm not sure if I've commented on your log yet (I did half of them a week ago and then got super busy) but if not, I will definitely be sticking around - especially if we have languages (and their levels) in common.

Thank you! :)

fabriciocarraro wrote:
Hey Charlotte! We're together on Team MIR, so I'm just dropping by to wish you the best of luck! =)

Thanks! :D

Wort wrote:
Hallo Silbermond!

Ich hoffe, du kannst alle Ziele, die du dir für dieses Jahr vorgenommen hast, erreichen, und wünsche dir in diesem Sinne viel Glück und Erfolg! :)
Falls irgendwelche Fragen in Deutsch aufkommen sollten (wobei ich das - angesichts deines doch schon sehr hohen Niveaus - nicht erwarte :D ), lass es mich wissen.

Hallo und danke! :D Glaub mir, ich werde viele Fragen haben (ich habe immer viele Fragen!), weil es viele Aspekte der Sprache gibt, die ich noch nicht verstehen kann. Also danke für dein Angebot ;) haha.

Toffeeliz wrote:
Hey Charlotte! I'm a fellow MIRite and wish you all the best for Russian. Looking forward to your progression with Chinese too. You can't go wrong with NPCR, but don't forget to mix it up a little with other textbooks, blogs on the internet etc. Go to Wangfujin bookstore in Beijing to pick up some nice little textbooks, they're dead cheap!

Hi! :D Thanks for your advice - I'm using two textbooks side by side at the moment, but yes, I definitely need to find some other resources to keep me from burning out. And ooh, when I'm Beijing I'll definitely be heading there. I'm hoping I'll be starting to read proper novels and things by then too (really, really hoping) so I know what I'll be spending my student loan on ;D!

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 24 of 41
09 January 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Week One: Tuesday 1st Jan - Monday 7th Jan

German: 59 minutes.
Mandarin: 1 hour, 1 minute.
Korean: 43 minutes.
Russian: 3 hours, 13 minutes.

Total: 5 hours, 56 minutes.

(Note: I'm not counting class time in the numbers above. Partly because I want to see how much I study alone and partly because I'm not sure how much attention I pay in all of my classes. It's definitely not 100%. I'm not the most attentive of students all the time :/.)

So this first week of TAC '13 got off to a slow start, but I don't really mind. I was at home up until the 6th, so spent a lot of the time with friends I hadn't managed to see before the New Year, or with my family. I travelled back to Germany on Sunday and immediately (and I mean immediately, like I got off the plane and it hit me) came down with some kind of cold/chest infection combination that meant I slept for fifteen hours yesterday and missed my Korean class today. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been doing (some) reading for Tadoku (though I'm having trouble accessing the rankings page) - which is all of my German time. Mandarin is mostly another textbook called Speak Chinese, though I'm going to make a move back to NPCR again soon. I found out today that my Mandarin exam here is on the 29th, so I need to remember to revise for that too. I find the classes very confusing even though I've studied most of the material before because they're in German. It makes me want to mix up very simple words like 'I' because my brain goes into foreign language mode and just goes for the one that feels right (which is not always the correct word). Needless to say, I'm very impressed by anyone who uses the laddering technique to learn a language; kudos to you guys!

For Korean, I started using the Integrated Korean textbook this week. It's okay, though there's a lot of vocabulary and strange grammatical terms from the go, so I think it'll be slower going than I thought. Because I missed the Korean class, I'm not 100% sure when the exam is, though presumably it's the same day as my Mandarin one (because the classes are the same day). I don't feel like I've learned a lot in the class, but I'm hoping enough outside study will have me caught up in time. Three weeks... should be enough?

Russian is the language I've spent the most time on this week, and yet I still don't really know how to say anything. I'm using the FSI Russian FAST course and I've been doing lesson one, which is just the Cyrillic alphabet and pronunciation rules, etc. I can feel my comprehension increasing (I can read most of the letters without referring to my handy little chart) but I don't think I'm going to remember all the different pronunciation rules without some context. Still, I'm about four hours into the language. It'll get there.

I'm hoping to at least double those numbers this week (not off to a great start today, but oh well ;D), and maybe watch a film or two in German as well. (I also need to finish the challenge from Team Mir and start on the Asian Team's one... but I will!)

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version