Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Silbermond TAC ’13 - Teams Mir/鶴 (Asian)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 41 of 41
03 April 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Good to see you're still around :) Loking forward to reading about your experiences in China/with Chinese!

Ha, thanks! :D Strangely enough, I'm finding it so much easier to use my Chinese here than I did using German in Germany, despite the fact that my German is far better. I think it's a mix of knowing that my Chinese isn't so good, so I'm not as bothered about mistakes, and having already had some practice at communicating. Either way, I'm having fun and with all the class time, I'm learning a lot!

I meant to do a proper update yesterday but I'm going to squeeze a quick on in today before I go off on my trip (we've got a few days holiday for the Qingming festival, so I'm going to Xi'an!) - so I'll have a clean slate to come back to on Saturday.

1st January - 1st April 2013 (Quarter 1)

German: 1,525 minutes (25h25m)
I clocked the most time with German in the first three months of this year, though I've been seriously neglecting it since I came back from Germany. Still, there's been a marked improvement - I can watch and read things in German without much trouble; if I do get lost, I manage to work out where I should be. I'm searching for a German speaker to practice with while I'm in China, but if I can't find anyone, I'm planning on going back for a week or two this summer. I just need to remember to keep practicing it (and maybe work on some of the finer grammar points a little ;D).

Mandarin: 1,131 minutes (18h51m)
Second is, of course, Mandarin - though since I'm not counting class hours this year, the number should be much higher. I need to remember to take advantage of my time here (though I've already taken advantage of the book store... I'm going to have fun packing to go home), because I'm not going to be able to come back for a while after this. My main goals for the next three months are to work on my reading and listening skills - reading because I need to be able to read, I love it too much - and listening because my listening sucks. I have trouble remembering things if I hear them, so I need to put more time into it.

Korean: 596 minutes (9h56m)
I've been debating dropping Korean, to be honest, though I'm tempted to wait a while and see how I feel about it. The only work I've really done for it in the last few weeks is to go on memrise a couple of times. If I don't drop it, I think I need to alternate the days I work on Korean or Russian, because working on them both at the same time is definitely not helpful. I'm going to see how it goes - but if I do drop it, I expect it's a language I'll pick up again.

Russian: 476 minutes (7h56m)
As opposed to Korean, I've got an added incentive to learn Russian, in that there are so many Russian speakers here! I need to put in more effort though; I'm so lazy when it comes to doing Assimil lessons, even though they're painless for the most part. Though it might be slow going at times, I have no intention of dropping Russian and have (tentative) plans to take it on for May's 6WC.

Plans for 1st April - 1st July (Quarter 2)

• Do my best to update my log once a week
  • Try and double this quarter's time for Russian (16h minimum)
  • Keep up to date with my teammates' logs (I know, I keep saying this, but I promise I'm going to try! You're all so awesome...)
  • Try and push Mandarin up to high A2/low B1
  • Try and push Russian up to A1
  • Try and reach the same hours (or more) for Korean (10h); re-evaluate whether I want to keep learning it
  • Complete the films part of the Super Challenge for German
  • Take part in May's 6WC
  • Complete each month's team challenge (April, May, June)

That's pretty much it. I'll be back on Saturday to start stalking logs! :D

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version