Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Silbermond TAC ’13 - Teams Mir/鶴 (Asian)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 41
09 January 2013 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Silbermond wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
Oh yay. Another kdrama fan. Which ones are your favs? :)

I'm studying Korean secretly. #1) Because seven other languages aren't enough, and #2) People will think I'm crazier than I actually am. (I'm using Assimil at the moment.)

I'm really excited to see where your studies take you this year. Good luck with all your languages!

I haven't watched all that many, to say how much I love them~ I've seen all of My Princess and most of Rooftop Prince, but I get torn away from them for weeks on end. Do you have any good recommendations?

I like the historical dramas the best. I started with Jewel in the Palace, Yi San, Dong Yi, and Queen Seon Deok. Those have been my favs so far. Rooftop Prince is on my to-watch list. :) Coffee Prince was pretty good, too.

I actually started listening to Pimsleur the other day, and I think it might be an easier way to start than Assimil. I am going to try and find a copy of the book you're using. It sounds like it's a pretty good one. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5561 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 26 of 41
09 January 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Hallo Silbermond,

Danke für deinen Beitrag in meinem Log. In einem vorherigen Beitrag hast du gesagt, du
hast vor, einige Filme auf Deutsch anzusehen. Welche? Leider finde ich es schwierig,
YouTube, wo ich früher viele Filme angesehen habe, in China zu erreichen,. Ein Film, der
besonders im Gedächtnis gehaftet hat, ist "Jenseits der Stille". Es handelt im Film von
einem horfähigen Mädchen namens Lara, deren Eltern beide taub sind. Sie dient als
Dolmetscher zwischen ihren Eltern und der hörfähigen Welt. Die Geschichte geht darum, wie
Lara die Welt der Musik entdeckt, in die ihre Eltern natürlich nicht folgen können.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 09 January 2013 at 10:15am

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 27 of 41
16 January 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Week Two: Tuesday 8th Jan - Monday 14th Jan

German: 9h23m (10h22m)
Mandarin: 1h56m (2h57m)
Korean: 1h36m (2h19m)
Russian: 1h23m (4h36m)

Okay, so this week I've seen the largest increase in German - which I think it due to my new idea of watching TV shows/reading books in this language rather that just studying. At some point I'm going to have to knuckle down and do some grammar work but right now I'm enjoying watching How I Met Your Mother in German and reading the Harry Potter series. (I'm still on book four. It's killing me.)

Mandarin's been pretty subdued. I've started work on NPCR book three, but that's about it. I need to get into watching dramas again, for the Super Challenge if nothing else. I've still got 步步惊心 to finish.

Korean doesn't look like I've done a lot, but I actually have. I did some work on the alphabet and Integrated Korean this week (the audio is so much faster than I anticipated! T_T), but I'm making it a rule not to include class work to my times this year, because I want to see how much I actually study alone. I missed two weeks of my Korean class because of illness, so Monday night (before the class on Tuesday), I decided to go through my textbook - because I also feel like, as the class is in German, I'm struggling to learn anything. I did about five hours of study where I felt like I was finally beginning to grasp things that seem impossible. I'm hoping it'll make it a bit easier to work with the Integrated Korean book; I still have a lot to learn before my exam, but I'm getting the gist of things, which is awesome! :D

Russian is great. I did a lot of work with the alphabet the first week of the year and managed to fit in two Assimil lessons this week. I can already see the difference; I could spell some of the words without referring back to the text, yay! I'm trying to fit in an Assimil lesson a day but it's proving difficult, so I'm setting myself the goal of three lessons this week (Tuesday-Monday).

The last two points lead me onto the first Important Thing I've learned this year: Take time to learn the alphabet. It probably seems obvious to all of you, but I'm one of those people who likes to skip that boring introductory part of a course and jump ahead to the fun bit, where I get to learn words. Which is all well and good, until I find myself getting stuck on really simple things because I don't know what that sign is supposed to mean. It's certainly something I've taken away from my forays into Russian and Korean - and I've found that also, learning the alphabet might seem boring at first, but it usually turns out to be a quick way to feel really accomplished. I was out shopping the other day, and I saw that on the front of a Russian Standard bottle of vodka, it says 'Russian Standard' in the Cyrillic alphabet. Obvious, yes, but I was so excited that I knew what sounds the letters made. (It's still difficult in Korean; vowels are hard.) So yep, my first tip and something for me to remember if/when I move onto Persian or Japanese or something.

Kerrie wrote:

I like the historical dramas the best. I started with Jewel in the Palace, Yi San, Dong Yi, and Queen Seon Deok. Those have been my favs so far. Rooftop Prince is on my to-watch list. :) Coffee Prince was pretty good, too.

I actually started listening to Pimsleur the other day, and I think it might be an easier way to start than Assimil. I am going to try and find a copy of the book you're using. It sounds like it's a pretty good one. :)

Ooh, thank you for the recommendations :D. I usually watch historical dramas in Mandarin, so I think I should enjoy them in Korean, too. Hopefully I'll finish Rooftop Prince soon and then I'll get stuck in with the others.

Really? I've never used Pimsleur, but then I'm never keen on a purely-audio based course because it's not the most effective way for me to learn (I forget a lot of things unless I see them written down). I do have it for Mandarin though, so I suppose I could try it out. Integrated Korean seems pretty good yes; there are plenty of recommendations for it on the forum. I was surprised by how in-depth it seemed straight away, but I've been working on the first lesson and it's not so bad, haha :).

LanguageSponge wrote:
Hallo Silbermond,

Danke für deinen Beitrag in meinem Log. In einem vorherigen Beitrag hast du gesagt, du hast vor, einige Filme auf Deutsch anzusehen. Welche? Leider finde ich es schwierig, YouTube, wo ich früher viele Filme angesehen habe, in China zu erreichen,. Ein Film, der besonders im Gedächtnis gehaftet hat, ist "Jenseits der Stille". Es handelt im Film von einem horfähigen Mädchen namens Lara, deren Eltern beide taub sind. Sie dient als Dolmetscher zwischen ihren Eltern und der hörfähigen Welt. Die Geschichte geht darum, wie Lara die Welt der Musik entdeckt, in die ihre Eltern natürlich nicht folgen können.

Jack

Hallo! Ich habe von "Jenseits der Stille" gehört, aber habe ich es noch nicht gesehen. Ich habe einige deutsche Filme gesehen, aber meistens für meine Abitur und Klasse an der Universität. Mein Lieblingsfilm ist "Nirgendwo in Afrika". Es geht um eine Familie, die während des zweiten Weltkriegs nach Kenia fliehen mussen, weil sie Juden sind. Das Film beruht auf einer wahren Geschichte und es interessiert mich für die Sprache Kiswahili, weil das junge Mädchen es oft mit ihren Freunden spricht. Ich mag auch "Gegen der Wand". Es geht um zwei türkische Leute - ein Mann und eine Frau - und ihre Leben. Es ist ein sehr ernstliche Film, aber denke ich auch sehr gut. Leider habe ich auch nie "Lola Rennt" oder "Das Leben der anderen" gesehen, aber fast alle meine Kollegen habe. Normalerweise sehe ich übersetzte Filme, wie Disney oder so.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 28 of 41
16 January 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Hallo Silbermond!

Stimmt, die Vokale sind nicht leicht zu merken. Mir hat es vor allem geholfen, Wörter laut zu lesen. Click Korean ist auch gut, um die Schrift recht spielerisch zu lernen. Die phonetischen Regeln von Hangeul sind sehr wichtig und ich würde dir empfehlen, sie dir ganz genau durchzulesen. (Integrated Korean hat eine gute Übersicht dazu). Das macht das Verstehen später einfacher.

Falls du Fragen zu Koreanisch hast sag Bescheid :) Ich habe am Anfang auch mit Integrated Korean gelernt und hatte erst viele Fragen... Es ist zwar ein gutes Buch zum Selbstlernen, aber nicht perfekt. Mit der Zeit ist trotzdem alles klar geworden.

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 

Message 29 of 41
23 January 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Week Three: Tuesday 15th Jan - Monday 21st Jan

German: 4h45m (15h7m)
Mandarin: -- (2h57m)
Korean: 34m (2h53m)
Russian: 1h10m (5h56m)

This last week (and as far as I can tell, this week and next week) have just been so full of revision I feel like I've never had time to study. I've had no real desire to even touch Mandarin, either. On a slightly more positive note, I managed the three Assimil lessons I challenged myself to last week and my Korean figure is actually much higher than that in preparation for my exam, I just don't count it. (I still am not sure if I'm really progressing with Korean though. I will at some point, but the words are struggling to stick right now.)

I want to make this pretty short, so I'm just going to sketch an outline of some goals I want to achieve this week; hopefully they'll motivate me into doing a little more!

1) Do a minimum of four Assimil Russian lessons.
2) Try to match or beat the amount of time I spend watching TV/films in English with TV/films in other languages.
3) Watch a minimum of two more episodes of Rooftop Prince (옥탑방 왕세자).
4) Watch a minimum of two more episodes of 步步惊心.
5) Write my introductions for the Asian Team thread.

Ooh, also I registered for the 6WC a couple of days ago and I think this is the last one I'll be doing with Mandarin. I'd still estimate my level as being a possibly low A2 (I feel like I've decreased in the last couple of weeks), so I'm hoping to push up and through with a combination of the 6WC and my first few weeks in China. I still don't know which language I'll pick for May; it depends on how my Korean and Russian are doing at the time ^^.

druckfehler wrote:
Hallo Silbermond!

Stimmt, die Vokale sind nicht leicht zu merken. Mir hat es vor allem geholfen, Wörter laut zu lesen. Click Korean ist auch gut, um die Schrift recht spielerisch zu lernen. Die phonetischen Regeln von Hangeul sind sehr wichtig und ich würde dir empfehlen, sie dir ganz genau durchzulesen. (Integrated Korean hat eine gute Übersicht dazu). Das macht das Verstehen später einfacher.

Falls du Fragen zu Koreanisch hast sag Bescheid :) Ich habe am Anfang auch mit Integrated Korean gelernt und hatte erst viele Fragen... Es ist zwar ein gutes Buch zum Selbstlernen, aber nicht perfekt. Mit der Zeit ist trotzdem alles klar geworden.

Hallo! Danke für alle deine Empfehlungen, Click Korean ist sehr nützlich und ich werde auch Integrated Korean benutzen, um für meine Klausur vorzubereiten. Ich finde es schwer, mich nur Töne zu erinnern (am Anfang fand ich es schwierig, mit richtigen chinesischen Aussprache zu sprechen), aber mit Wörter ist es leichter.

Danke auch für deine Angebot; ich bin sicher, dass ich viele Fragen haben werde :). Integrated Korean wird immer leichter, aber ist das auch wegen der koreanische Buchstaben - sie verwirrt mich ein bisschen!

감사합니다! :D

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4309 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 41
23 January 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the mempal add! I look forward to watching your progress this year! Good luck
teammate!

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5475 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 31 of 41
25 January 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Russian Assimil goal! I' finding it a really useful book too.

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 

Message 32 of 41
30 January 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Week Four: Tuesday 22nd Jan - Monday 28th Jan
German: 7h35m (22h42m)
Mandarin: 1h2m (3h59m)
Korean: 1h39m (4h32m)
Russian: 36m (6h22m)

Goals from last week:
1) Do a minimum of four Assimil Russian lessons. - I didn't manage this; I did fit one in through. I'm now up to lesson seven, which, yay!, but it's not as fast as I'd hoped for.
2) Try to match or beat the amount of time I spend watching TV/films in English with TV/films in other languages. - I did manage this! :D I actually doubled it; I watched just over four hours of programming in English, but nearly ten hours in German. I need to up this for my other languages, but I think I'm getting on the right track. (Though I can't watch Fringe in anything but English yet. It's too hard... T_T)
3) Watch a minimum of two more episodes of Rooftop Prince (옥탑방 왕세자).
4) Watch a minimum of two more episodes of 步步惊心. - For three and four; I didn't manage either of these. I've been putting things on in German as I revise in German, both because it's easier to pay attention that way and it helps keep me focussed in the language. For these languages, I still need subtitles and I didn't really have an awful lot of time to drop everything. They're goals I'm going to look into again in February.
5) Write my introductions for the Asian Team thread. - Heh, I still haven't done this. I'm going to get on it in the morning.

All in all, not a bad week. I spent a lot of the weekend cramming for Korean (I had a class. On Saturday!), or trying to revise German linguistics (failed, miserably. I'm not even joking). But I only have one exam and a bunch of work left before I'm free and I fly back home next Monday for three weeks before I begin my next adventure. As it is, that means I'm not overly focussed on any of my language goals right now, though I am rather proud of the switch over to German (dubbed) TV that I'm making.

Also, I've taken up using memrise again :). Last October/November time my keyboard was hit with a bad case of the me knocking water all over it variety and the 'z' and 'x' keys broke. It got fixed over Christmas, but I stopped using memrise for the duration because of the difficulties it created in my typing Chinese punctuation (in particular). Now, though, I'm following some of the people from the Asian team on memrie so I have their scores (you all work so hard!) to motivate me.

Super Challenge wise, I watched The Avengers this week in German, taking me up to a total of nine films. I looooooove that film, though I could probably follow the lines with no dialogue; I've watched it far too much.

New goals for this week:
1) Do a minimum of two Assimil lessons. (That worked out well the week before last!)
2) Again, try to match or beat the amount of time I spent watching TV/films in English with TV/films in other languages.
3) Spend a minimum of two hours (total) on memrise

I think that'll do it, goals-wise. I'm not anticipating much free time this week.

billyshears66 wrote:
Thanks for the mempal add! I look forward to watching your progress this year! Good luck
teammate!

Thank you for the add back! :) I look forward to watching yours too; I'll pop back to your log from time to time :D.

Toffeeliz wrote:
Good luck with your Russian Assimil goal! I' finding it a really useful book too.

Thank you! :D I am finding it useful, but I'm never sure how much of it I'm absorbing. Then again, it could be because of the large gap I'm leaving between lessons. Which lesson are you on?

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version