Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Silbermond TAC ’13 - Teams Mir/鶴 (Asian)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 33 of 41
30 January 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Silbermond wrote:
I spent a lot of the weekend cramming for Korean (I had a class. On Saturday!)

This seems to be a favourite strategy of Korean teachers. We also sometimes had Saturday classes to make up for missed lessons or to do exam preparations. I guess it's something very ordinary for Koreans, seeing how they all send the kids to Korean school on Saturdays.

So you only have three weeks at home until you leave for China? Wow! What a great year, living half in one foreign country and half in another. But I also imagine it to be rather stressful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 34 of 41
12 February 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Week Five: Tuesday 22nd Jan - Monday 4th Feb
German: 20m (23h2m)
Mandarin: 12m (3h11m)
Korean: -- (4h32m)
Russian: -- (6h22m)

A poor week, last week - and I didn't get around to updating, due to travelling and flying and unpacking and other fun things that are involved in moving home -_-. I'm back for two more weeks now though, so it should give me more time to study (between seeing everyone and going out and what have you). I've had a poor start to the 6WC too, but I'll go into that more in the next update. Still, there's no burn out, not yet; which is nice :).

druckfehler wrote:
Silbermond wrote:
I spent a lot of the weekend cramming for Korean (I had a class. On Saturday!)

This seems to be a favourite strategy of Korean teachers. We also sometimes had Saturday classes to make up for missed lessons or to do exam preparations. I guess it's something very ordinary for Koreans, seeing how they all send the kids to Korean school on Saturdays.

So you only have three weeks at home until you leave for China? Wow! What a great year, living half in one foreign country and half in another. But I also imagine it to be rather stressful.

School on a Saturday just upsets me... and sends my week out of whack; but I imagine if you have to do it all the time, it feels normal? Maybe? Haha.

Yep, two weeks left now. I'm excited, but waiting on my visa - that's been the most stressful, because I didn't want to try and apply for it while I was away (plus I didn't have the paperwork). But yes, it's been so great and I'm going to be really upset when it's over! :(

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 

Message 35 of 41
12 February 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Week Six: Tuesday 5th Feb - Monday 11th Feb
German: 1h8m (24h10m)
Mandarin: 4h15m (8h26m)
Korean: 1h50m (6h22m)
Russian: 1h14m (7h36m)

Oh, my god. I just wrote this whole update out and clicked to post it and it disappeared T_T. It was so pretty and optimistic, as well.

I guess I'll start over.

This week's been especially good; I've more than doubled the amount of Mandarin study I've done so far and I've logged over an hour for each language. Yay! I'm going to do a little specific break down for each language, then a list of my weekly goals. I hope I remember them.

German: It's mainly been memrise and duolingo, but I like both because they are one: colourful and two: based entirely on the web, so when I get distracted I can just click over to the tab and go, ooh, how about some German now? I've been using memrise mostly for learning verbs with prepositions because I always forget those. It's kind of working, too! :)

Mandarin: Had a breakthrough this week in terms of hours - mostly due to memrise, again; but also because I started working on the February challenge for the Asian team (pick a song and learn it). I've also been working with one of the DLI readers. I'm pretty nervous about going to China; I spoke some Mandarin in Germany but not a lot and I feel like I've regressed a little. Still, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Korean: Granted, most of that almost two hours this week came from one episode of Rooftop Prince, but it still counts! :) I'm also using memrise and am glad to note that I'm feeling pretty secure about the alphabet right now. There are still some vowel sounds that I'm a little hazy on, but overall it's not too bad.

Russian: I finally did Assimil lesson 7! *cue celebrations* It was only a review lesson, after all that (which I should have known) but I was glad to note that I remembered almost everything. Plus, I bought Russian keyboard stickers while I was away, so I've managed to enter all the new words into anki without it taking me a full day. Yay!

Goals for this week:

1) DE: Read one chapter of Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch
2) DE: Watch one hour of German-language media (TV, film, etc.)
3) ZH: Watch one episode of 步步惊心
4) ZH: Do at least four hours of study to be counted towards the 6WC
5) KO: Finish watching Rooftop Prince (3 episodes left!)
6) KO: Do 5 more TTMIK lessons
7) RU: Do 2 more Assimil lessons (8,9)
8) General: Comment on all my teammates logs. I've been through the team threads and made a list of my teammates (there's 40+ in total) and since this is a week I can see with some potential free time, I plan on going through them all. Hopefully.

Right, I hope this works this time ;)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 36 of 41
13 February 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
You really are brave. Two asian languages! I wish you all the best on your journey to China, it sounds exciting!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 37 of 41
26 February 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Hey, looks like you're still busy with Asian languages! Doing all right?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 38 of 41
10 March 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey, how's your Russian going? Everything alright? Would be great to read something from you again.

Успехов!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4151 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 

Message 39 of 41
20 March 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm wading through the slow connection that is the Chinese internet, but I am still very much alive and studying - despite my 5 week long absence. In brief: I moved to China about a month ago and I've spent a lot of time studying (I have Chinese class every day and then so much homework) and just generally settling into my newest stint living abroad. I'm going to update times, etc., tomorrow when, with any luck, the internet connection won't quite be so patchy.

Cavesa wrote:
You really are brave. Two asian languages! I wish you all the best on your journey to China, it sounds exciting!

Thanks! My Korean is kind of dwindling now I'm here but the Chinese is going strong (obviously, haha :D). It's taken a while to settle in but I'm enjoying it; and four hours of class a day is doing me wonders.

tarvos wrote:
Hey, looks like you're still busy with Asian languages! Doing all right?

Yeah, thanks :). Now I'm in China I'm so focussed on Chinese, but I'm hoping to switch some of that to Russian, as I'm still a proud member of Team Mir! Plus there are plenty of Russians here for me to practice with :D.

Josquin wrote:
Hey, how's your Russian going? Everything alright? Would be great to read something from you again.

Успехов!

Uh... slowly is probably the word I would use haha. I've had connection/settling in problems which is some of why I've been gone a while, but I'm all sorted now and I'm hoping to dive back into Russian. Hopefully it'll go well~

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 40 of 41
20 March 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you're still around :) Loking forward to reading about your experiences in China/with Chinese!

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version