Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 17 of 60
08 March 2013 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I think it's the beginning of the end for me and the 6WC. There's only one week left, but i'm going to be so busy!
Out of town for the weekend, volunteering and driving lesson on monday, guitar on tuesday, and another driving
lesson on wednesday.

But i won't give up! I'm still going to bring a book with me over the weekend and maybe some flashcards... We'll see.
i really hope my Italian books get delivered by monday so that i can start reading them.

Today i finished the audio lessons i was going through. There were 100 3-5 minute clips, but i listened to them all
twice. It mostly helped me realize all the things i can say with what i know already.

And here's a challenge:

20. If you write a to-do list every day, write it in your target language.

Da fare:
- fare il bucato
- fare i bagagli
- studiare spagnolo (ho un esame domani)
- pulire la camera
- ascoltare della musica Italiana
- leggere il mio libro di testo Italiano
- leggere "Quatre filles et un jean"
- cenare
- scrivere un'annotazione nel mio diario di filosofia
- fare la doccia
- dormire!
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4406 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 60
27 March 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Congrats Emily! Your enthusiasm and energy are truly inspiring, and it sounds like your
making great progress.

A quick question, how have you found learning Italian having already learned French? I'm
just curious as to how beneficial having one romance language is in the learning of
others.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 19 of 60
29 March 2013 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Thank you, that's very motivating =)

French really helps me working with Spanish at school, but i think it helps even more learning Italian. The
vocabulary
is incredibly similar and even the way verb tenses are formed is exactly the same (ex. futur simple and conditionnel
share the same root but with different endings, it's the same in Italian). Every single concept i have learned so far is
directly connectable (is that a word?) to something i already know in french. But, since the accent is so different, i
don't mix them up at all. It's perfect. So short answer, yes, french makes it very easy to learn another romance
language, especially Italian.

I haven't updated recently. I've backed off a bit on the studying, although i try to do a chapter from my textbook
every 2-3 days. I've been reading a lot though - i finished the hunger games in Italian and then started the harry
potter series, the first in french and the second in Italian. I've ordered the next few in Italian to be shipped in to my
local library from another nearby. I lost my ipod for over a week, so i couldn't listen to my music or use my
flashcards! But now it's back, and i've also been playing on the app "4 pictures one word" which is incredibly popular
at my school right now. Basically it shows you four pictures and you have to use the letters they give you to form a
word describing what all the pictures have in common. I didn't even bother downloading the English version, but i
found a french one and an Italian one! Sometimes i get completely stuck but it's still a fun way to learn vocabulary.
The french one is pretty doable but since starting the Italian one yesterday, i've only made it to level 16 or so.

I've been dreaming quite a bit about my language learning future, and this is what i've decided:

- one week challenge in portuguese near the end of april, and depending how far i get more casual study
throughout the summer and perhaps the june 6WC
- starting finnish this summer (and using the june or august 6WC as a boost)
- studying norwegian, swedish and danish next year, approx. 4 months each, not sure of the order
- taking a course in greek when i go to college in the next fall
- starting russian as soon as possible afterwards, but allowing lots of time for it!

And lastly, i'm most likely going to be returning to quebec at the beginning of the summer to stay with my exchange
partner again for a few weeks. this is my chance to master the accent!

Anyways, enough time wasted on the forum. Time to get to work.

Edit: i almost forgot. i've finished another 4 challenges.

Here's #24: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-24-intro

And #9: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-9-yesterday

#10: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-10-today

# 17: https://soundcloud.com/emilyhellard-1/challenge-17-tomorrow

That puts me at 20, making me a proletarian! Hooray!

Edited by Emily96 on 29 March 2013 at 1:50am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 20 of 60
06 April 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
I haven't been doing a lot of serious studying recently, but i have been reading quite a bit. And i just got harry potter
#3 and #4 in Italian and then the 5th in Spanish. They're all due in three weeks, but i was planning for that third
week to be my intensive portuguese experiment! hopefully i can finish them in just two. That's ok, really, because i
wasn't planning to do much looking up words/making flashcards. I like reading and want it to stay fun and not be
about studying. Instead i'll concentrate on increasing my reading speed and comprehension.

My Spanish teacher has also lent me a copy of Chicken Soup for the Children's Soul in Spanish, and i'm really
enjoying it. I've only read 4 stories, but i like having short chunks to work through. And the vocabulary is not too
hard, lots of words that i know and not much guesswork. The only problem is that most of it is set in a past tense
that i don't know yet!

Besides all the reading, i try to do some work out of my Italian textbook each day. I haven't been doing so well
recently. I need to get back into it. And i write a bit in my Italian journal each night, or at least try to.

It is SO tempting to get started on portuguese now. I know someone who's living in Brazil right now and when i told
him about my plans he was eager to help by sending me current music/movies and such. But as i said, i have to
finish my books first! Plus i have two big school projects to finish.

Thats all for now folks!

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4273 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 21 of 60
26 April 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Wow Emily, you have been doing a lot of learning since the beginning of the year. It is quite impressing and inspiring. I hope you kept on the good work this month.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 22 of 60
15 May 2013 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
It's been a long time since i updated this! Since my last post, i have finished the three harry potter books, started a
Half Super Challenge in Spanish in addition to the one in Italian, and did a 1WC in portuguese, as planned. It was a
lot of fun, i posted a review of my week in the thread about it.

Unfortunately, i've also completely fallen off the wagon for Italian. It's already two weeks in to the may 6WC and i'm
dangerously low on the score boards. To be fair, a big Spanish project was dominating my life and i am trying to
finish a grade 12 chemistry course by mid june (not even half way through yet), so it's not like i had much time to
spare. BUT. This must change. I hereby pledge to spend half an hour actually studying Italian every day for the next
7 days, with any music/tv/internet/duolingo/lang-8/team challenges on top of that. Then i'll reassess the situation
and make a new goal for the next week!

No time to waste, there's studying to be done!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 23 of 60
24 May 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
My half hour a day held up pretty well except for sunday (which is ok, i was really busy) and monday (when i was
just too lazy to do it). So... i've been continuing the same goal for this next week but i'd also like to get into the top
twenty for target languages on the 6WC. That means i'm going to need something else. My new goal is to watch one
italian movie, do two team challenges, write three entries on lang-8, add four new songs to my playlist, and study
half an hour every day for 5 days (until next tuesday). Then i'll reassess again and make yet another game plan!

I watched my first movie for the Spanish half challenge. it was spirit, stallion of the cimmaron. i rediscovered my
love for the movie and all disney movies in general and that is definitely going to show in the next few movies i
watch.

p.s. i noticed i've made 100 posts on this forum! what a milestone! =P

EDIT: after checking the super challenge graphs, it seems i'll have to get on those Spanish movies if i want to finish
in time. books, too. i guess i'll have to add a Spanish movie and book to my plan for the week!

Edited by Emily96 on 24 May 2013 at 1:17am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 24 of 60
29 May 2013 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I think i more or less met all my goals. I watched Pane e Tulipani in Italian and El zorro y el sabueso in Spanish
(hooray for disney movies again!). I'm not sure exactly how much i read in Spanish but i'm definitely making
progress. I did the two team challenges and found some new Italian songs. I think i need to do one more lang-8
entry... but i'm feeling lazy. I'll do it tomorrow! And i think i did half an hour a day every day, except today. I was
pretty busy. Unfortunately i'm still not in the top 20... i'll make it eventually!

Here are the two team challenges:

11. Ciao, Lydia! Ho ricevuto la tua lettera ieri. Certo che voglio visitarti in Quebec. Ci sono molte cose che mi
piacerebbero fare. Mi piacerebbe andare al museo, al festival delle culture, ed al parco di divertimenti a Montreal. Ho
saputo che è molto divertente. Voglio anche vedere la città di Quebec durante l'estate. Sarà bellissima, sono sicura.
Sopratutto voglio passare il tempo con te e la tua famiglia! Mi mancate molto. A presto! -Emily

12. Oggi è un brutto giorno. Mi mancano molte cose. Sta piovendo e non ho né l'ombrello né l'impermeabile. Vorrei
mangiare qualcosa di caldo, come una zuppa, ma non c'è zuppa nella mia credenza. Devo mandare un email alla
mia insegnante ma non ho il suo indirizzo (Non ho neanche il documento che devo mandarle!). Spero che domani
avrò tutte le cose necessarie.

I'm incredibly tired all of a sudden, i'll post my plan of attack for the next week tomorrow.
I

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version