Joined 6445 days ago

134 posts - 140 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, English, French, Polish

Message 25 of 60
01 June 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:

Here are the two team challenges:

11. Ciao, Lydia! Ho ricevuto la tua lettera ieri. Certo che voglio visitarti in Quebec. Ci sono molte cose che mi
piacerebbe (piacerebbero) fare. Mi piacerebbe andare al museo, al festival delle culture, ed al parco _ (di) divertimenti a Montreal. Ho
saputo che è molto divertente. Voglio anche vedere la città di Quebec durante l'estate. Sarà bellissima, sono sicura.
Soprattutto voglio passare il tempo con te e la tua famiglia! Mi mancate molto. A presto! -Emily

12. Oggi è un brutto giorno. Mi mancano molte cose. Sta piovendo e non ho né l'ombrello né l'impermeabile. Vorrei
mangiare qualcosa di caldo, come una zuppa, ma non ce n'è (c'è zuppa) nella mia credenza. Devo mandare un'email alla
mia insegnante ma non ho il suo indirizzo (Non ho neanche il documento che devo mandarle!). Spero che domani
avrò tutte le cose necessarie.

Continua così!
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 26 of 60
02 June 2013 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Grazie =)

So i completely forgot to post again the next day, but basically my plan is the same - 1/2 hour of actually studying
each day, plus any fun things (duolingo, lyrics training, music, twitter, youtube), some team challenges/lang-8
entries, and as many movies/as much reading as possible. I just signed up for the tadoku challenge with Italian and
spanish. I think i might regret it, since the school year is ending and i've realized i have less time than i thought i did
to finish my online chemistry course. But oh well, i'll find time for it all somehow!

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 27 of 60
17 July 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
It's been too long again. I'm really missing my romulan team mates! Come back you guys!

The tadoku was kind of fun. I didnt have enough books to really get into it, and i found it way too tedious to count
sentences from other stuff (twitter) so i kind of gave up. i might still sign up for the next one though if i can be
more prepared with my material.

And i forget my exact placement in the 6WC, but i definitely made it into the top 20 for target language and i'm
pretty sure i hit top ten for over all, so i was happy with that. not as good as last time though, and i hope to do even
better in august!

then i went to quebec for two weeks to visit my exchange partner! it was pretty fun. i definitely still sound like an
anglophone though. i think i need to intensively work on that... lets put it on the august to-do list too.

i don't think i've already said this - i'm now signed up for a half super challenge in Italian, Spanish and french!
spanish and french were added much later (french just two weeks ago) so i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish, but i'm
definitely going to try. (Guess when i'll work on it... yup, august!) french is going really fast though especially since i
bought 5 books at a thrift store in quebec and got into a tv series (30 vies - although the website just crashed and
now i'm experiencing withdrawal), so there is no material shortage there.

besides that..... hm. Italian is going through a rough patch again. i might possibly be falling out of love... but i'm
still going to try to finish the challenge for sure and maybe get through the rest of my text book. plus i've been
using duolingo a ton, so i'll aim to finish the Italian skill tree by the end of.... august!!! i think august is going to be a
busy month. fortunately i'll be able to count all the time for the 6WC.

i think thats it. i'm going to go check to see if tou.tv is back up yet. More 30 VIES!

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5011 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 60
06 August 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
I
And i forget my exact placement in the 6WC, but i definitely made it into the top 20 for target language and
i'm pretty sure i hit top ten for over all, so i was happy with that. not as good as last time though, and i hope to
do even better in august!

then i went to quebec for two weeks to visit my exchange partner! it was pretty fun. i definitely still sound like
an anglophone though. i think i need to intensively work on that... lets put it on the august to-do list too.

i don't think i've already said this - i'm now signed up for a half super challenge in Italian, Spanish and french!
spanish and french were added much later (french just two weeks ago) so i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish,
but i'm
definitely going to try. (Guess when i'll work on it... yup, august!) french is going really fast though especially
since i
bought 5 books at a thrift store in quebec and got into a tv series ....

Way to go, Emily96! If you have a minute at some future stage, I'd love to hear about your language-
related experiences in Quebec. And best of luck for the current 6WC!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4517 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 29 of 60
12 August 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Don't leave us, Emily! Keep going =)

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 30 of 60
13 August 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Don't worry, i'm still going strong! I guess it is time for an update.

I've signed up for the new 6WC with finnish! I'm beyond excited. i've been waiting for this for so long but realistically
knew that i needed to hold off until i had more time and my other languages were up to an easy maintenance level.
but this is it. did i mention i was excited? so far i've been using a set of beginner lessons that was recommended by
another forum member, and have been poking around at the finnishpod101 videos on youtube. i think i'll be using
them later for vocabulary. this is the best part of learning the language - when everything is new and exciting and
you're just learning to make your first sentences and everything is simple. then it gets hard for a while until you can
actually read stuff and watch movies. but i'll get there! my grandma can help me, she's a native finn and 94.3% of
the reason that i want to study it =)

on the topic of watching movies, i've been trying to get moving with my super challenges. i just watched selena in
spanish (no subtitles even) and was AMAZED at how much i understood. definitely 75%, and i was only expecting
maybe 50. that was a real confidence booster. now that i know i can enjoy movies in Spanish, i'll definitely be
watching more, starting with the tv series on queen isabella! i also have the 6th harry potter book requested at my
library to get the reading show on the road as well.

french is easy peasy, just the usual. still watching 30 vies, still making my way through all the classics i bought at
the thrift store in quebec. i think i need some new music though. and yes songlines, i'll tell you anything you want to
know about my experience in quebec!

and Italian... my textbook is gathering dust in the corner, but i have been using duolingo. i've got a 4 day streak as
of now, and i'm planning to try to beat my previous record of 23! the makers just added some new lessons so now i
have to go back and fill in the holes in my skill tree. it's good review. i've added a few new "friends" that i can
compete with, so that helps keep me motivated.

i think i'm going to break this all down into some concrete goals for the month of august:
- finish Italian skill tree on duolingo
- finish french skill tree on duolingo
- get two super challenges to the 50% mark
- finish the harry potter books (6th in Spanish, 7th in anything)
- watch all the harry potter movies
- get at least half way through season 3 of 30 vies
- watch at least half of the Isabella episodes
- complete at least half of the online lessons for finnish

as for the six week challenge... i've been rather passive and am hanging pretty low on the score boards. time to
boost that up! i'm aiming to finish top 20 for both!

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5011 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 60
13 August 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:

French is easy peasy, just the usual. still watching 30 vies, still making my way through all the classics i
bought at the thrift store in quebec. i think i need some new music though. and yes songlines, i'll tell you
anything you want to know about my experience in quebec!

Thanks!    A couple of questions to begin with, but I'm sure anything else you'd like to add would certainly be
interesting for myself and others.

What were the highlights (linguistically speaking)? - Biggest challenges? (Would that have been your "anglo"
accent? - And did you have trouble understanding their accent?)   - Were you in Montreal, Quebec City,
or a smaller community?

Edited by songlines on 13 August 2013 at 4:21pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 32 of 60
14 August 2013 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I lived with my exchange partner's (my "twin") family in drummondville, which is between montreal and quebec. the
population is maybe 80 000? i don't actually know. i did have trouble understanding their accent at first, but in a few
days i got used to it. I still find that some people are really hard to understand (such as my twin's grandpa!), and it's
still hard to follow a conversation in a noisy cafeteria, but mostly i'm used to it. when i went back this summer to
visit, i was a little overwhelmed in the hour long trip back from the airport. the four of them were all talking really
fast at the same time... but that kind of jumpstarted me into it. everything after that seemed easy.

on the other hand, i have no idea how hard it was to understand me. i wasn't often asked to repeat myself, so i
assume i was speaking clearly enough. i spent a lot of my trip this summer really listening to how people spoke, and
i'm hoping to spend more time this month trying to apply that back to my own speech. my friends at school think
that as soon as you can pronounce the R, you've got the accent, but it's so much more than that! they were
surprised that i didn't come back from the exchange with perfect quebecois french (especially after one of them
pushed me, and realized that i could actually kind of imitate it... but even if it convinced them, I still knew how bad
it was!) so yeah, my accent is definitely still an obstacle, but i've got plans to work on it!

highlights? sure. most of them come from the three months i spent there last year. i remember that the first two
weeks were really stressful for me and i was pretty quiet, just absorbing everything and learning how people actually
spoke (nothing like classroom french!). but then apparently one day at dinner i decided it was time to show what i
was capable of, and i recited everything that had happened in my day. i even got interrupted once but immediately
took over again to finish my story. i think that really surprised them! my host dad sure got a kick out of telling that
story to anyone we met. after that i was much more of a chatterbox. i remember one night being really hyper and
laughing with my twin. we were getting on a bus and i almost sat down on top of her, so she said "eille! j'suis pas un
coussin!" and i answered with "non, mais t'es un Cusson!" (her last name). i thought it was hilarious! my first pun in
french!

another time that i was really proud of my skills was when i got 15/16 on my history composition, and all of my
twin's friends were very impressed =) most of them didn't even do that well! i also did a lot better on dictees than
most of the people in my french class but that's less impressive, because she gave us time to check our work with a
dictionary/bescherelle and i was one of few who actually bothered to. my drama class was another place where i got
to stretch my skills. one day we were given 15 minutes to prepare a skit with a partner, but my partner and i spent
the whole time chatting. despite that i was still able to get up on stage and completely improvise it! people even
thought it was funny (but i think part of that was laughing at my accent!).

in general i was pretty pleased with what i got out of the exchange. by the end of the three months i was able to
follow pretty much any TV show or movie that the family watched, as well as dinnertime conversation. the school
work wasn't too hard and i could interact with all the people in my class. i still sounded like an anglophone, but that
was fine with me. it was an instant conversation starter. the only time when it got annoying was visiting Montreal,
because everyone in the stores and restaurants would switch to English, trying to accommodate me. when i started
planning my trip back this summer, i decided that my mission was to sound quebecois. that was way harder than i
thought, but as i already mentioned, i have plans to work on it!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version