Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 163
17 February 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Team: Viking

Language: Danish

Introduction: For a long time German was the only foreign language I wanted to study or speak. A couple of years ago, though, I happened to see a video in Norwegian and was enthralled by the sound of it. I immediately got the complete Pimsleur course and started listening to it in the car. Since some of my ancestors came from Norway (my dad’s uncle traced our genealogy back to a 9th century Norwegian Viking named Knut, but unfortunately discovered Vidkun Quisling and a number of horse thieves in there, too), it seemed like the natural thing to do.

After a few months, I began to fear that my Norwegian studies were interfering with my progress in German (I became alarmed when my German “du” started coming out “dü”), so I abandoned Norwegian to devote myself 100% to German.

Two years later, the same thing happened again, only this time it was Danish. I saw a video in Danish and it just fascinated me. I noticed right off the bat that the Danish “du” sounded just like the German “du”. I was filled with optimism. I scoured the Internet for resources and acquired a whole pile of Danish course books and recordings. I saw how similar written Danish was to written Norwegian and felt elated. “How hard can this be?” I asked myself.

Then I listened back to recordings of myself trying to duplicate the Danish pronunciation and it sounded like someone gargling pudding. Recordings of real Danish conversations left me with absolutely no clue as to the topic of discussion. I slowly grasped the daunting magnitude of the undertaking and wanted to flee, but it hoovered me back up like a dust bunny. I think this language is as cool as German and that’s saying a lot. I’ve got my Danish diapers on and I’m ready to crawl.

Goal: To toddle. By the end of the year I hope to be able to write simple, comprehensible Danish text without using a dictionary and to be able to pronounce it well enough to be understood. I also hope to be able to understand Danish spoken at normal tempo well enough to at least get the gist of what’s being said.

Plan: To be consistent in using the resources I’ve got and to not give up.

Edited by AlOlaf on 31 December 2014 at 3:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 163
17 February 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team! I haven't been as active as I expected to be, but things will change.

Which resources are you using?
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 3 of 163
17 February 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Jeff! I’m using German resources wherever possible. I’ve got a course called Dänisch Neu that I like a whole lot, Assimil Dänisch ohne Mühe, Pons Power-Sprachkurs Dänisch, Langenscheidt Dänisch mit System and one called Av, min arm!, which is too advanced for me right now. In English I like Beginner’s Danish. I just finished loading all this stuff into my iPhone.

I’ve got an impossible to describe Danish movie called Adams Æbler with Danish subtitles as well as the first season of Borgen, also with Danish subtitles. I’ve also got the Blu-ray Harry Potter collection, which has dubbed Danish and Danish subtitles (and the same for Swedish, Dutch and a bunch of other languages). I’ve also got all the Harry Potter books and audiooks in Danish, but they just blew me out of the water.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 163
17 February 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:

I’ve got an impossible to describe Danish movie called Adams Æbler with Danish subtitles

If you like that one, you might also enjoy 'De grønne slagtere' and 'I Kina spiser de hunde', 'Gamle mænd i nye biler' (that's the sequel to 'I Kina spiser de hunde').
Welcome to the team, it's good to have another Danish learner around. Lykke til!

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 5 of 163
18 February 2013 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Thanks, daegga! I really appreciate the recommendations. I’ll definitely check them out, as I’m trying to expose myself to as much spoken Danish as possible. I also want to thank you for the helpful feedback regarding my German. Tusind tak!

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4264 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 163
18 February 2013 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
AlOlaf wrote:

I’ve got an impossible to describe Danish movie called Adams Æbler with Danish subtitles

If you like that one, you might also enjoy 'De grønne slagtere' and 'I Kina spiser de hunde', 'Gamle mænd i nye biler' (that's the sequel to 'I Kina spiser de hunde').
Welcome to the team, it's good to have another Danish learner around. Lykke til!

I think the movie: "Blinkende lygter" should probably be added to that list.
Held og lykke med dit dansk. :-) ("Held og lykke" is the more common way to say "Lykke til" in Danish)

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 7 of 163
18 February 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Tilia: Thanks so much! I’ll look into that one, too.

I thought I might take a first stab at writing something in Danish. Corrections very welcome.

Jeg holder meget af det dansk sprog. Jeg håber, jeg kan snart laere mig at skrive godt dansk, men det er meget svært at udtale. Det ved jeg ikke. Jeg glæder mig til, at jeg har meldet mig her. Tak skal du have!

Edited by AlOlaf on 18 February 2013 at 8:07am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 163
18 February 2013 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Hej AlOlaf,

Du kan ogsâ sige: "Jeg kan godt lide den danske sprog."

Jeg önsker dig held og lykke med den danske sprog!

Fasulye

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version