United States
Joined 6916 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 36
31 July 2006 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Has anyone heard of Valenciano as a language? I met someone who said they spoke Spanish, French and Valenciano. That was the first time I've heard of Valenciano. According to wiki, it is spoken in parts of Spain, France and Italy.
1 person has voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6624 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 36
31 July 2006 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Isn't it the same as Catalan? They speak it in Valencia. My old roommate
from Catalan had a girlfriend from Valencia, and I believe he told me that
she spoke the "Valencian version of Catalan". That's probably what he was
talking about.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6814 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 36
31 July 2006 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I don't think that it's exactly the same as Catalan, more like one of the dialects. Check this page out, although it's not the most reliable source.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6502 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 36
31 July 2006 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
As far as I know it is a dialect of Catalan spoken roughly from South of Tarragona to South of Valencia, but with nowhere near the position that the main dialect has in Catalunya proper. There is also supposedly a Catalan dialect on the Balearics, but with the influx of workers due to the tourism industry and the lack of support from the regional authorities I would expect that to be even more engangered than Valenciano. On the other hand I heard a lot of Catalan when I visited Andorra last year, so in spite of the number of Spanish and French visitors the language still seems alive there.

EDIT: I just checked the link to Wikipedia in Patuco's post, where it is stated that approximately 94% of the Valencian population could understand it, 78% could speak and read it, and around 50% could write it in 2005. I doubt that those numbers would be correct even in Barcelona or Girona where you really do hear the Catalan language in the streets. And 50% being able to write it? Count the older generation out, they didn't learn to write it under Franco, count out everybody from other parts of Spain, they would just carry on writing in Castilian ("Spanish"), count out those that didn't really learn to write in the school.. I wouldn't even try to guess how many could (and would) speak or read it, but away from the big cities there will probably be a good number of native speakers of Valencian.

Edited by Iversen on 31 July 2006 at 9:23am

Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6845 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 36
31 July 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Valenciano IS Catalan from a linguistic point of view, NOT a dialect, but the same language (the standard form, at least). If they call it that way is because of political reasons: many people in Valencia feel that calling their language "Catalan" implies som kind of desire to be part of Catalonia, and they don't want to be part of that region! However, there are other people in Valencia who have no problem calling it Catalan.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 6 of 36
31 July 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
If I remember correctly, when Spain had to present to the EU copies of the (draft) EU constitution translated into Spain's minority languages, it presented two copies, one in Catalan, another in Valencian, with identical text inside.

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6916 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 36
31 July 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Would it be proper to say one speaks both Spanish and Valencian?

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6814 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 36
31 July 2006 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Yes because Spanish and Valencian are different languages. Now, Valencian and Catalan...

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version