36 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6857 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 36
31 July 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Yes, why not? Valencian and Catalonian are the same language. It's just a matter of taste or political ideology. If you're planning to travel to Valencia, then it's better to call the language "valencia". But if you go to Catalonia instead, you should call it "catala"...

I recommend reading the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valencian

Here there's a map with the different Catalonian dialects:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Mapa_dial ectal_del_catal%C3%A0.png

Edited by Guanche on 31 July 2006 at 1:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lucia
Diglot
Spain
Joined 6631 days ago

146 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 36
31 July 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
    Valencians say Catalans copied their EU constitution translation just to prove it is the same language.

In the Having some fundaments in linguistics thread Sinfonia wrote :

"However,there is no disagreement among modern linguists that all there is are dialects.Some of them, for various geopolitical reasons (and not on any firm linguistic basis),are given the 'pretigious' title of language ."

" all dialects are languages in a sense, and all languages are by definition dialects ."

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 36
31 July 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
When I saw that Guanche denied that Valencian was even as much as a dialect of Catalan, I decided to have a look for myself at some authentic texts. I then stumbled on the following white book from the Valencian Academy (no less!), which might be interesting in several respects:

Llibre blanc de l'ús del Valencià

Point 1: According to this source (p.8) around 26% of the population of the "Comunitat Valenciana" claim that they can write the language well or fairly well. That sounds much more likely than the 50% cited above. About 53% claim that they can speak it well or fairly well. Maybe, - at least it is not outright impossible.

Point 2: Even though this is a White Book from the Valencian Academy, and the text only refers to the language in question as Valencian the text is in its written form for all practical purposes undistinguable from a text in 'central' Catalan.

This does not mean that there aren't differences between Catalan and Valencian in vocabulary and maybe even grammar on some minor points (as mentioned in the wiki-article), and it certainly doesn't imply that there aren't differences in pronunciation, - I cannot vouch for that. And other sources may have orthographic peculiarities that are not found in this text. But provided that the text in question represents Valencian in its written form then it is out of the question that it could be a 'full' language distinct from Catalan, - at most it could be considered a dialect, provided that one can trust the distinguishing traits mentioned by Wiki. And as long as the 'center of gravity' for this Catalan-Valencian language lies in Barcelona, then it is OK with me to just call it Catalan.

Edited by Iversen on 17 August 2006 at 2:07pm

Lucia
Diglot
Spain
Joined 6631 days ago

146 posts - 147 votes 

Message 12 of 36
31 July 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
   Catalans want to call what Valencians speak "Catalan".

Valencians donīt want to call what Catalans speak "Valencian".Valencians want to call what is spoken in Valencia "Valencian ".

If itīs the same language why should Catalans choose the name ?

If itīs not the same language why do Catalans want it to have the same name as their own language ?

Politicians are always fighting over languages in Spain.They do it to distract votersī attention from the real problems Spain has.

In spite of all I have said I really admire and like Catalans but not because of the above of course.

Edited by Lucia on 31 July 2006 at 4:35pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 36
31 July 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Lucia wrote:

If it?s the same language why should Catalans choose the name ?

The language commonly known as Spanish is often called Castellano (Castilian). But isn't it awfully unfair to all those that don't live in Castile to let the Castilians choose the name of the language spoken by several hundreds of millions all over this planet? On the other hand, if I just say Spanish - EspaÃąol- then I risk offending both Catalans and Valencians, not to speak of the Galicians, who are speaking something like Portuguese though spelled more or less like Castellano, - oh sorry, there I slipped into to using that C-word again!

I could accommodate the Valencians by referring to the Catalan-Valencian language, but then I would offend people in the Balearics and Andorra and Rousillon (in so far they haven't switched to French). In short, if I want to comment on the languages on the Iberian Peninsula, I have to offend somebody. So I choose to offend the Valencians by speaking of one Catalan language with a couple of dialects, completely disregarding the fact that that Valencia is outside Catalunya. Sorry.

Edited by Iversen on 17 August 2006 at 2:18pm

Lucia
Diglot
Spain
Joined 6631 days ago

146 posts - 147 votes 

Message 14 of 36
31 July 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
   Iverson ,you can call the language Valencians speak whatever you want.Just donīt expect them to call their language Catalan.

Iīm Andalusian not Castilian and I couldnīt care less what the languages I speak are called.I wouldnīt mind if Spain had another name or disappeared as a nation,just as long as I still live in a free country.

You canīt understand what is happening because you didnīt live here during Francoīs dictatorship.

And yes you have to be careful with names in Spain unless you donīt mind hurting peopleīs feelings.

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6928 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 36
31 July 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Lucia wrote:
    Iverson ,you can call the language Valencians speak whatever you want.Just donīt expect them to call their language Catalan.

Iīm Andalusian not Castilian and I couldnīt care less what the languages I speak are called.I wouldnīt mind if Spain had another name or disappeared as a nation,just as long as I still live in a free country.

You canīt understand what is happening because you didnīt live here during Francoīs dictatorship.

And yes you have to be careful with names in Spain unless you donīt mind hurting peopleīs feelings.

Lucia, I am very interested in your post. I'll admit I don't know very much about Spain's history except there was a violent civil war to overthrow the king. Truth be told, I don't even remember reading why he was overthrown.

I would like to understand what is happening over there.

If you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly, then you can PM me. I am very interested in history. Here in the USA, we don't get very much modern European history outside of WWI and WWII. Maybe you could tell us from your perspective.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6826 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 36
31 July 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Magnum, check out the following sites:
Link 1 (English)
Link 2 (English)
Link 3 (English)
Link 4 (Spanish*)
Link 5 (Spanish*)

* Perhaps your French can help you with these.

My grandparents remember most of the Civil War and they (along with my parents) definitely remember the Franco Era. I would also be interested to hear Lucia's thoughts, but I don't think that it is an appropriate discussion for a language learning forum.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version