Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6414 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 41
04 March 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Hasi. The whole point of Heisig's method is to use stories to remember the kanji. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you're doing that or that you find it helpful. In that case, you would be much better using a more traditional method. There are a lot of books out there for learning kanji and I'm sure you could find something that suits you better than Heisig.
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4842 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 10 of 41
05 March 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
kixi wrote:
I'm going to focus on learning the
kanji itself (stroke order and how it looks only) and not fret over keywords
(especially not stories since they don't help).

What? So, say, you put 人 as the question and the answer is writing the left stroke from up to down and then writing the right stroke from up to down?
kixi wrote:
I think the stories would be helpful if you can visualize things but I cant, I just see
black. Another thing is that the stories themselves are confusing and nonsensical. *inconsistent uses of radicals*

You can either live with the imperfections of the system or use yours, no? (You need to eventually create the stories yourself after the first 300 kanji or so anyway.)

Edited by Takato on 05 March 2013 at 10:45am

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 41
05 March 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Even though I don't think i am getting the full awesome of the book that others like
hasi experience, I won't knock it as a learning resource. I has diagrams, 2000ish
kanji, rough meanings and some of the lil stories do stick. I remember them better when
they are associated, such as 'tide' which is the water droplets morning and moon, that
makes sense to me as tides are affected by time of day and positioning of moon. Oh and
chant which is a mouth and 2 remaining sparkles, so they are speaking sparkles. That
one is cute!

Takato wrote:

What? So, say, you put 人 as the question and the answer is writing the left stroke
from up to down and then writing the right stroke from up to down?

No I flipped the deck for this first time around. The word displays as the question and
I have to remember the kanji for it, including stroke order. I get sub 50% correct at
first glance. Ones I have no clue once revealed, I click again, ones I knew the stroke
order but didn't relate it to
the question word, I sometimes click good. After doing this I get 85+% recall. Makes
for less painful anki sessions to cut
myself some slack with that good button.

Takato wrote:
You can either live with the imperfections of the system or use yours,
no? (You need to eventually create the stories yourself after the first 300 kanji or so
anyway.)

Yeah I can live with it, on the upside I'll be fine when the stories start dropping off
since I haven't been using them anyway.

Some how even though I set anki to 30 cards per day, it's fallen behind my study pace.
Is there a way to study those new cards only? I also made a super bumper core vocab
deck from the few thousand in one of those links I posted. It has kana (and later
kanji), romaji and English. If anyone wants it i can post it up in the sakura thread
but I think I'm one of the only true beginners, it may not be of any use to you guys.

Edited by kixi on 05 March 2013 at 3:00pm

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 12 of 41
06 March 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Some super lame things happened. My cat got very ill and my anki rtk deck messed up so
it wasn't showing new cards, just kept showing the same 160ish cards even after i'd
graduated most of them into easy (3-6 day interval). Pretty much means I haven't been
able to review the past 100ish cards I've studied :/

So I'm switching to a new deck, the level up mod deck that I've had downloaded for
weeks, (hasi also posted a link) which I was planning to use on my second review of the
cards. Today I wont be learning new kanji, instead I shall custom study and go through
every card I've studied so far. Or at least attempt to until i get caught up and back
on track.

Haven't done much genki because I was revising the contents of japanese for busy people
1. Technically I've completed a beginners textbook and only need to write a
few more sentences to graduate to elementary level, but I'd like to complete genki as I
feel It's far more advanced.

Edited by kixi on 06 March 2013 at 11:30pm

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 13 of 41
20 March 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Hey just stopping by to update.

Almost at 600 kanji, a week behind projected amount due to my cat being ill n stuff. My
visa is taking longer than expected so I have a lil longer to cram stuff and complete
rtk before I have to deal with a hectic move and setting up a new life in America.

Doing well in class although I'm mightily peeved off with the fact we had another exam
last week and one due for tomorrow. We also had to complete class work as homework
since there's no time for lesson content and exams, this means I've made no progress in
my quest to complete genki. We have 2 weeks off so I shall be doing my own studies
during that time.

I spotted a kanji in the wild and recognized it :D I also downloaded absolute boyfriend
tv show (which is a manga i started reading a year ago). It's in japanese with jpn
subs, for now this will be my immersion/progress marking show.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 14 of 41
24 March 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday and today I shall be spending a good few hours on verbs here's a resource my
teacher sent

http://www.japanesegrammar.com.au/index.php?
option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2

We have covered 'te' form in class and will be doing the plain negative, but the rest
are for next years learning. Since I wont be taking next years class I've been going
over the remaining ones myself. Today I shall write some sentence examples to put them
into use.

Anyway FRENCH!

My b'day is coming up and I decided to take a short trip to france. It's only for a
week yet I so rarely get to go there I should brush up on some french for 6 week
challenge type thing so I can have my first experience of speaking a language in it's
country. I have no idea where to start, such as text books or resources, hoping one of
you guys will chip in on that. I wish I could find a written down plan such as this one
for japanese from another thread.
leosmith wrote:
If I had to do it all over again, here's my 2-3hr per day plan.

Stage 1.
a) 1 lesson of Pimsleur per day. After lessons, write out the list of new
words/difficult sentences and feed them
into anki. Romaji ok.
b) 30 min japanesepod 101 per day
c) 30 min learning the kana per day

Stage 2 (after you've learned the kana).
into anki. Kana only - no romaji.
c) 1 hr Remembering the Kanji per day and feed them into anki

Stage 3 (half way through Pimsleur).
into anki. Kana only - no romaji.
d) 1-2 hrs Skype language partner conversation per week

Stage 4 (after you've finished Pimsleur).
a) 1 hr Genki per day. Put sentences covering grammar and new vocab into anki.
d) 2-4 hrs Skype language partner conversation per week

Stage 5 (after you've finished Remembering the Kanji).
a) 1 hr Genki per day. Put sentences covering grammar and new vocab into anki.
c) 30 min reader per day. Put choice sentences/vocab into anki.

Stage 6 (after you've finished Genki).
a) 30 min native video per day
c) 30 min reader per day. Put choice sentences/vocab into anki.
e) 15 min writing per day

Stage 7 (after you've outgrown japanesepod101 and readers).
a) 30 min native video per day
b) 30 min read native material per day
e) 15 min writing per day

Stage 8 (after you're good at all 4 skills).
a) 1 hr native video per week
b) 1 hr read native material per week
d) 1 hr Skype language partner conversation per week
e) 1 hr writing per week

At first I was totally overwhelmed but I browsed a french song Elodie Frégé - La Fille
De L'Après Midi and understood 10% from listening a couple times, 15% from glance over
lyrics and I made some great guesses at 30+% of the rest. It's been 8 years since I
last learnt french but clearly some stayed.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 15 of 41
26 March 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Still undecided about french, if I do brush up on it, it will for for an intensive
month. I've gathered materials and am ready but torn because I'm at a weird stage with
japanese.

My vocab was lacking, so i stalled RTK (no new kanji, anki reviews only) and have been
playing vocab radio from tanos.co.uk. I've also been studying little chunks from the
eng-jpn Swadesh list http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Japanese_Swadesh_li st.

I suppose my main reason for not initiating french and switching focus from kanji to
vocab is that i attempted to watch absolute boyfriend with no eng subs and couldn't
understand a word. Not a single one!

I have some good news though. It was my intention to follow rtk then use kanji in
action, somehow I've managed to work a few into sentence use already :D

So yeah, once i'm done with that swadesh list i shall resume RTK. Shouldn't take more
than a few days since there's only 200ish words. I figure I need something with quick
progress returns like this to stay motivated.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5910 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 16 of 41
26 March 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
What helped me when watching dramas is watching a show with Japanese subtitles because there are some words
that just appear over and over that you do eventually pick up. (You can find Japanese subs over at d-addicts)
I am now over 2/3 through RTK and I have started using Core for a few days to study vocab and I have to say that
knowing the kanji for a word really makes it easier to study the vocab.

I haven't really come across a Swadesh list before. If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to study it? as
far as I read the list was created based on words that exist in a lot of languages but not based on frequency and
something like that.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version