kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 41
27 March 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
You're more advanced than I, so even watching/ listening to shows with the jpn subs, I
still find it difficult to pick out individual words. Then to understand the word or to
guess at it when your vocab is very beginner (a few hundred words)... Well let's just
say it's ambitious and serves no greater purpose atm than immersion background noise.
Soon though.

Ahh well at first I was going to take contemporary fiction or tv/movie 2000 top lists,
adding the japanese equivalent to the list by using dictionary. Then I realised the
pitfalls, such as not every word having a clear but translation. It would make for a
much bigger project than intended.

I had saved the list some time back just as a useful vocab list not really knowing
about it. I did some reading about the guy the other day and thought it'd be pretty
cool and simple to complete the list and then as I go along I can learn other languages
and put the lists side by side. Idk maybe that's lame, but hey either way it's a
bitesize 200 vocab list to learn :D

I suppose the best thing is to acquire a top jpn frequency list, then work my way
through translating each word to English, in the process memorizing them. That may take
some severe googling to find.

Edited by kixi on 27 March 2013 at 6:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 18 of 41
27 March 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
So I searched all day while I was ill and interneting and I now have a collection of
cheat sheets and vocab lists covering every which method I should want to learn. When I
have link privileges I shall fix up all the links and add links for stuff I've recently
found... Including this jpn frequency list http://www.offbeatband.com/2010/12/the-most-
commonly-used-japanese-words-by-frequency/

I've resumed RTK and have my last exam tomorrow (really will be the last!!!), followed by
term break. With every needed resource now either downloaded or bookmarked, future
posting will be sporadic as it's just a case of knuckling down and doing. So yeah, if I
don't update this log for a month, it's not because i burnt out and gave up. Good luck
Hasi and everyone else <3

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 19 of 41
05 April 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Hey quick update:

I've stuck to the vocab lists, at the moment I'm half way through the e-language school
vocab list (i posted address on first page of this log). It's a 1000 or 2000 words and
I'm getting through them rather quickly with great recall using the blocks of 5-7
method.

Then I shall do a couple hundred frequency, then after that go along and learn
remaining vocab from genki or whatever.

Found this amazing awesome total lifesaver application for frequency and vocab resource
'cbJisho' http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=7375&p=1

Due to the speed of vocab, I'm feeling quite motivated and less intimidated. I might
attempt reading furigana blogs or something. Passed the 700 mark with rtk, really sick
of it now! I'd like to be able to use these darned things already, but hey, finish what
you start!

Another thing, I'm no longer going to Paris, instead I'm going to Barcelona. I was
planning to start Spanish when I eventually move to Texas in July-ish (whenever the
visa comes). I'm tempted to earn some now. My language plans go like this:

Japanese~ always wanted to learn, love the makeup, culture, cinema etc. Fiance going
there for work at the end of the year.

French~ have 'gcse' level, didn't enjoy it as a young teen but really enjoy the
language now. Love french cinema, plan to holiday there frequently... It's just so chic
to know french! I was jumping at the chance to continue with it when I thought I was
going there. I think I want to learn this more than japanese but theres no reason to.
B1 but forgotten level?

Spanish~ zero experience in it. My fiance is hispanic, his family too, some of them
only speak Spanish. A lot of jobs in the city I'm moving ask for ability to speak it.
No previous desire to learn it except while watching Gael Garcia Bernal movies. I'm not
intimidated by it in the slightest, looking over grammar rules word order etc, it seems
straight forward to me, perhaps because I've done some french and German. I'm reluctant
to start leaning it after having a few half started languages even though it's the most
useful to me and the one I'll need to know soonest. Oh and the fact I'm going to
Barcelona in a month or so.

Finnish~ eh, the only time I'd ever use this is at sports meetups, it has zero use
beyond that. For me it's a hobby language that shall be on a pile till a later date
(perhaps years from now). I only did a year of 1x per week classes, ended up around A2.

German~ Again no real immediate use to me. I know 1 German person, who I never see. I
was pretty good at this one but it remains on the pile. B1 maybe?

Afrikaans~ My family are from south africa, half of them speak it as a their first
language. It seems easy to me from the little I know. I'd like to know this one for
obvious reasons but since I wont be seeing family until at least next year, there's no
rush on this... One day!

Eugh from typing this up I can see that Spanish is the most rational language to focus
on, for both short and long term. I wont ditch Japanese. For the moment I have no
commitments due to moving countries and sitting around waiting for visa. Time isn't
really an issue if I were to do both. Guess I'm doing both! Might leave it a few days
till ive got these lists out the way.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 20 of 41
05 April 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Oh Oh I could totally be one of those people that learn little bits of a bunch of
languages at
this rate! Is there a term for that? Like 'demi-polyglot'? :D I can say a bunch of
phrases in Russian, i'll add that too!

Haha no, from now on I shall pretend I never studied those in school and
extracurricular.
The only languages that exist are Japanese and Spanish.

Seriously would have much preferred Japanese and French, I feel that just a few months
of
french would have had me up and talking. The motivation from that would have been
colossal.

Edited by kixi on 05 April 2013 at 7:43am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 21 of 41
05 April 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
What kind of sports meetups do you do where you would need to know some Finnish? Do you play ice hockey?

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 22 of 41
05 April 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I lift weights and do tricking, which is just like kick flips and stuff. At the meets for
both there are a few Finnish people, but I probably wouldnt meet any for a year anyway
and it's a thin reason to resurrect a language. I really have no reason to study it and
was scraping the barrel there. I started it when I was 16 because my friend wanted me to
go with and also there were formula 1 drivers I liked who were Finnish.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 23 of 41
05 April 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
It looks like Spanish is your most sensible option right now, doesn't it? I wouldn't worry about all the other half started languages - they'll still be waiting for you once you've done what you need to do with Spanish.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4139 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 24 of 41
07 April 2013 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
It looks like Spanish is your most sensible option right now, doesn't
it? I wouldn't worry about all the other half started languages - they'll still be
waiting for you once you've done what you need to do with Spanish.

Yeah, it really is, pretty sure it'll be a breeze compared to Japanese. I've made a big
deal over the past year of life, to finish what I start... Obviously I don't have to
start Spanish like there's a gun to my head but it's def the smartest option compared
to completing french asap. Also thanks guys for making me feel like i'm not an
impulsive fool on this!

Oh hey, so today I think I might complete the first of my Japanese vocab list projects
(all of level 1 vocab from e-languageschool). Then I shall compile an anki deck that
goes from eng to jpn, since I learnt them jpn to eng. Then through the next week or 2 I
shall review those and slowly learn the lesson 2 vocab etc. I also wanted to at least
do the 100 most frequent (its in kana and kanji) at the very least but I'm aware that
I'll be cramming Spanish vocab prior to my trip so Idk if i should hold off on some of
these lists till afterwards. Or cram them both!

Some great progress is that I attempted zettai kareshi again and I understood a few
things!!! Some things I didn't understand but was able to pick out the word and
remember in class we had gone over it. It's great to see actual progress, gosh how
motivating!

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version