Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 33 of 41
18 April 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Chosen:

Living language series and practice makes perfect books.
1 person has voted this message useful

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 34 of 41
21 April 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
My apologies for this log being all over the place, it matches my study methods :D

It's been a week or 2
completed Spanish:

-living language lesson 2
-pimsleur lesson 4
-drivetime Spanish track 22
-words galore frequency vocab ~700
-surface languages freq. vocab ~200ish (both lists differ because they were drawn from
different sample sources)
-alphabet and basic numbers

my speaking and listening abilities doubled in the last 2 days due to using the
programs and shadowing a couple songs. I'm pretty tired and cant wait to finish 1000
vocab so I can just review and free up some study time. Probably will just stick to
cognates, surface languages and vocab contained in the programs after that. When I feel
I've progressed in other areas, know how to use each word and can string more sentences
together I shall do more of the frequency lists and specific vocab... That might be
after the trip. I'd rather know those first 1000 well, than know 3000 that i can barely
recall in time to use in a spoken sentence.

Japanese:
-reviewing vocab
-lots of menial homework
-have all n5 kanji memorised by heart (eng to jpn) to stand up and recall &
draw them infront of class.
-a bunch of other little tasks that arent getting done. I fail at progressing in 2
languages.

After trip im switching it from 2hrs Spanish, 1hr jpn to 2hrs jpn, 1hr
spanish. Some nights, i only managed 15 mins of jpn.

Edited by kixi on 21 April 2013 at 11:24pm

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 35 of 41
30 April 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
kixi wrote:
I have a bunch of japanese
homework due tomorrow, describing our rooms. It's painful but gives a chance to
construct sentences.

(,,#゚Д゚)マサカ Don't tell me! Those otaku/fujoshi must be hard to deal with. (>д<)
kixi wrote:
I fail at progressing in 2
languages.

Aha! So give up one of them! ┐(‘~`;)┌ショウガナイゼ

Edited by Takato on 30 April 2013 at 12:33pm

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4642 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 36 of 41
30 April 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:

Aha! So give up one of them! ┐(‘~`;)┌ショウガナイゼ

しょうがないじゃね~よ!2ヶ国語の語学が できるじゃないでしょう。

僕も国語が二つ勉強して、あきらめない。 でも、確かにかなり時間かかりますね。

It's all about time management. If you don't have the time, you won't manage.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 37 of 41
13 June 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Woah it's been so long! Also I totally had to use google translate for those and it
gave broken English translations :D but yeah i appreciate the sentiments. It is hard
work but then we have all this time to fill with menial stuff (or procrastinate), why
not busy ourselves?

So the holiday went great. I didn't manage a single sentence apart from something like
'las mujeres banos sin papel'. We happened to be staying in an area that almost
exclusively spoke castillian and Spanish but I got around plenty fine with a small
vocab and hand signs. My fiance, who speaks tex-mex Spanish could barely understand a
word due to lisps and other differences. After a couple of days I was speaking on our
behalf 'quiero pagar' 'ahora o despues' 'dos clara limon'

update to be continued...

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 38 of 41
22 July 2013 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I hit a wall with japanese for the past month, resulting in my learning almost nothing.
I was kinda lost as to what to study next, my plan was to switch to genki series but I
already knew most of the contents by the time I got to them... So weird since it wasn't
that long ago I thought genki to be more advanced than it's busy people counterpart, so
I put it off. I have japanese for busy people 2 which seems like a hard slog, a big
jump from book one with faster audio and dry content. It'll have to do, I'm in a no
mans land between beginner and low intermediate. Also using in conjunction with tae
kims grammar guide.

I switched to learning kanji manually a while back, working through n4 now, just 10 a
day but drilling them to the point they stick and I've done away with srs programs. My
vocab is quite large for my level, a few thousand words I can't use beyond simple
sentences because my grammar skills are entry level.

Ooo ooo I forgot to tell you guys, I finished top of my class! For our last homework we
had to write a mini essay using the sentence patterns we knew. It took me about an hour
or 2 to write a couple paragraphs, even slotting in kanji I knew. A defining and
rewarding moment in my studies so far.

I'm supposed to be doing 10 original sentences a day based on material from tae
kim/busy people 2 (not including the exercises), 10 new kanji a day, 10 mins shadowing.
In theory this should take me an hour and leave me with an option to study more.

Spanish is fine, I'm half way through duolingo and I completed the first course of
language transfer. It's been an experience, I got to try a bunch of programs out and
discover what methods work best for me in both of these languages.

It's kind of boring for now, just gotta not hit another wall and stick with it for a
month till I've completed all current courses in both.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 39 of 41
29 July 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I've been translating basic sentences to Spanish, a few things have been catching me out
such as que and cual

Japanese is starting to sound familiar, I was listening to lounge music which included
shibuya kei bands like pizzicato five and words kept popping out at me even though I
wasn't actively listening.

It all feels like a chore, japanese grammar is like decoding alien messages, I don't
enjoy it at all and Spanish have so many words that mean the same but different contexts.

kixi
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4140 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 40 of 41
17 August 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I'm halfway through the second course of Language Transfer and have almost completed
the first course of Learn Spanish Like Crazy. I also created paper flashcards of the
500 most frequent words, I had already learnt these if you remember, but I wanted to
move them into active vocab. I think I don't like learning by looking at a screen, be
it textbooks or anki, I prefer to have something tangible or an all audio course.

I can understand about 75% of Spanish I read, this is just approximation, when i read a
newsite it's more like 60% and just now I glanced through the assimil book and knew
95%. I'm also becoming pretty competent at creating sentences if I have 10 seconds or
so to piece the words together. This is mostly due to the focus of the courses I have
used, not words lists alone.

So yeah, super awesome reading progress, not so much speaking and listening ability.
I'm going to start both the Spanish and japanese assimil courses as a 'refresher' and
for practice in the areas I suck at.

Japanese~ Kanji are plodding along, soon to start n3 list, I wait until full retention
before moving on now. I no longer feel the immense urge to know everything NOW and
FAST. I think I will meet my goal of being firmly in the intermediate scope by
christmas, my trip got postponed so who really cares? Going to need far more active
study to get the feel of ease when doing just about any kind of output.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version